Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

since when non recurring discount is allowed on Leb?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• Maybe there is something change in LEB rule? @Liam may answer your question because he posted this offer :D

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited December 2012

As long as customers purchase the service on a monthly basis this is perfectly acceptable and within LEB and LET guidelines.

Now, God forbid if anyone manages to actually turn a small profit, because that would be complete heresy around here, right?

• So in other words... LEB discriminates against non-Aussies? Good to know.

• LeeLee Veteran

I found it useful for the reasons Liam pointed out. You rarely see that kind of offer from a company of that size for a windows VM so it's worth some visability.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2012

I have been waiting for this thread since the second I spotted that offer :)

tbh I think it is fine relaxing the rules every now and then for promoting things when they are a good find.

• Rarely any offers in AU, so I have no issues with this :)

• FWIW, I support the posting of the offer for the reasons given. Highlighting a Windows server in AU with that spec for next to nothing for 6 months is doing the community that don't follow all the offer/provider threads here a favour.

• @Liam said: Not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic. I'll take it as the latter.

A little bit of both. I don't think it's necessarily fair for any providers to get to skirt the rules based on where they're located.

• Glad we're in agreement, @Liam

• A similar thing happen before when LEA posted the amazon EC2 1 year trial. It was an amazing offer back then. I think we may bend the rules sometimes for some really interesting offers.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Liam I agree, I think it would be a good time to look at the rules again, things have shifted since the original LEB quite a bit I would even go as far as saying re-look at everything, price included.

For example if someone was selling a 4GB windows VPS for $10 p/month that is a fantastic deal at a lower cost p/MB than other LEB offers but it would be excluded currently, a cost p/MB minimum and maximum would be a good way forward imo.

• @dnom said: I think we may bend the rules sometimes for some really interesting offers.

Perhaps like @Liam say the rules need reconsidering.

Folks may get tired of looking at Cheerios for breakfast and may want something actually decent. Why cut off at $7? Why not $10?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@bamn said: Why not $10?

Here we go again...
    Today 7 can buy you a decent 2 GB. 5 can buy you an indecent one. Heck, even 1.75 can buy you an indecent 1 gb.
    I think we should lower it because 2 GB is hardly low end.
    On topic, I think that was a very good find, too bad they dont like romanians, took my .85 Eur and asked for pictures that I will not deliver.

• @Maounique said: Today 7 can buy you a decent 2 GB. 5 can buy you an indecent one. Heck, even 1.75 can buy you an indecent 1 gb.

I think we should lower it because 2 GB is hardly low end.

+1 on this. If anything, I'd like to see the ceiling for dedicated servers raised a bit, since only OVH can offer dedicated servers for $13/month.

• Their offer is utterly confusing. I don't get what is being offered.

Oh, it's a Windows-only virtualization? That's nice. Watch Windows virtualize Windows. That's going to be interesting. Fun to manage with a GUI over the ocean.

Odd to have such a nutty ad by what I presume is a native English speaker.

Then again if reports of them requiring photo ID are true, even more nutso...

• I really don't know why people are being asked to provide ID. When I heard of this offer, I signed up for an account, the order got marked for fraud but I still got the account details. I logged into the control panel and I could pay the $1, so I did, and then within the hour I got my VPS information through email.

• @pubcrawler said: Then again if reports of them requiring photo ID are true, even more nutso...

Some kind of AU nanny state policy since they're a country that filters the Internet?

@gubbyte said: I logged into the control panel and I could pay the $1, so I did, and then within the hour I got my VPS information through email.

Lucky you, I only managed to pay after LAKid pushed them a bit, but didnt get any VPS and I dont expect to.
    Who cares about .85 cents anyway :)

• @Maounique said: Lucky you, I only managed to pay after LAKid pushed them a bit, but didnt get any VPS and I dont expect to.

Who cares about .85 cents anyway :)

You could try contacting support. I did once I paid to see how long provisioning would take, and they answered, I have no idea what makes them ask people for ID. Oh well.

edited December 2012

@gubbyte said: I have no idea what makes them ask people for ID

Maybe they ask only ppl from suspicious countries.
    Probably there is a lot of fraud coming from romania, but also romania has one of the highest speeds in EU and also number 1 country in implementing IPv6, internet is in every village, sometimes before electricity, so it might be that many ppl have internet out of 20 mil population, not only the companies, but every 10 yo can have it for the "pretzels money" as we call it here...

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Maounique said: internet is in every village, sometimes before electricity

Huh?

• Joepied! ™

Haha.

Yes, mobile devices. There is 3g coverage from at least one of the 5 major providers... Some villages inbetween mountains have no electricity but ppl did something local to charge their laptops and phones...

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Maounique said: did something local

like, electricity?

Like wind or water turbines.