Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wholesaleinternet review - [resolved] - End user forgot to secure server properly
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

wholesaleinternet review - [resolved] - End user forgot to secure server properly

raduegglestonradueggleston Member
edited October 2015 in Reviews

Hi everyone its my first time to rent a dedicated server,

I rent dedicated server on wholesaleinternet on this plan
Xeon E3-1230v2 Preconfigured
3.2GHz / 3.6GHz turbo - 1 processors
4 Cores / 8 threads 32GB DDR3 500GB SSD • 1gbit 100Mbit 95%Transfer
• Linux/Windows* OS
• 5 usable IPv4 Address
• /64 IPv6 Address Block** $56.00/month

i rent it for minecraft server because mc server lag on vps so i try on dedicated here is my experience.

in the first week i was amazed because my mc server never lag like before but in the second week the server was suspended because of this:
69.30.199.101 has been null routed by our automated system at this time. This is a 24 hour null route:

Alert: FlowDoh has detected that the following IPs have exceeded the maximum percent allowed of bytes, packets, or flows:Timeslot: 2015-10-20 00:5037352 (14.7%) flows - 43.241.50.2 (43.241.50.2)23219 (9.1%) flows - 69.30.199.101 (69.30.199.101)305988k (14.7%) packets - 43.241.50.2 (43.241.50.2)190210k (9.1%) packets - 69.30.199.101 (69.30.199.101)

i didnt really ddos anyone because im using mc server how would i use it on ddos attack i dont even know how to do it then the next few hours they replied:

Staff
Rebooted and plugged in. We will need immediate confirmation when this is resolved.

its fixed but this happened in another next few hours:

Staff
Server suspended for sending outbound attacks, as reported by our provider. Syn floods

2015-10-19 17:10:00.015 299.897 any 69.30.199.101 595( 6.6) 4.9 M( 6.6) 5.2 G(17.1) 16253 138.5 M 1065

shit there servers are aren't ddos protected and they always suspend our vps why not give a refund?

WHOLESALEINTERNET IS THE WORST HOSTING I EXPERIENCE

why this happened to me on my first time purchasing dedicated server :(((

Comments

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

They don't claim to have ddos protection and I can only assume you didn't secure the server properly if it was sending outbound ddos attacks without you intensionally doing so.

Thanked by 1radueggleston
  • can anyone post review about quadix.co ?

• Probably, you did not secure your server and somebody used your server to send out a ddos. I dont think it is your server providers fault.

Thanked by 1radueggleston
  • @niceboy said:
    Probably, you did not secure your server and somebody used your server to send out a ddos. I dont think it is your server providers fault.

i think so.They shoudnt suspend it because its there fault anyway should i need to file i dispute on paypal?

• radueggleston said: i think so.They shoudnt suspend it because its there fault anyway should i need to file i dispute on paypal?

One question my friend - what steps did you take to secure your server?

• @Nekki said:
    One question my friend - what steps did you take to secure your server?

i install firewall.

• radueggleston said: hey shoudnt suspend it because its there fault anyway

How is it there fault? In all likelihood you did not secure your server. You are paying for an unmanaged server and this is your responsibility. If you don't know how, or don't want to manage the server you need to pay for a managed dedicated server and expect to pay a lot more.

I am a happy WSI customer, no issues for the last 2 months since I picked up a server, but I secure my server and monitor it closely for the protection of my clients.

• emreemre Member, LIR
    edited October 2015

@radueggleston I think you are a moron but not an idiot, so I guess you can be educated that dedicated servers without managed service is your own responsibilty to secure and operate.

I see nothing wrong with wholesale attitude towards you.

your server was hacked and sending synfloods

so first learn how to secure and operate your server before yelling about the provider.

it's all your own fault. and yet you are claiming about paypal dispute.

Yes you are a moron.. educate yourself...

• emre said: Yes you are a moron.. educate yourself...

dont be a dick towards the OP. help him not insult him retard.

Thanked by 2radueggleston RBH
  • radueggleston said:

i install firewall.

How did you restrict login access to your server?

• @emre said:
    radueggleston I think you are a moron but not an idiot, so I guess you can be educated that dedicated servers without managed service is your own responsibilty to secure and operate.

I see nothing wrong with wholesale attitude towards you.

your server was hacked and sending synfloods

so first learn how to secure and operate your server before yelling about the provider.

it's all your own fault. and yet you are claiming about paypal dispute.

Yes you are a moron.. educate yourself...

securing the server is the providers responsibility!
    and im not sending synfloods

• LeeLee Veteran

radueggleston said: securing the server is the providers responsibility!

Wut?

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • @Lee said:
    Wut?

they should protect there servers

• radueggleston said: securing the server is the providers responsibility! and im not sending synfloods

No, securing the server isn't the providers responsibility. When you have unrestricted root access (which you clearly do with a dedicated server), you must secure the server yourself.

You need to cancel the server and chalk this one off to experience I'm afraid, then find some kind of safe environment to learn some basic system administration and hardening.

• klpowellklpowell Member
    edited October 2015

@radueggleston said: securing the server is the providers responsibility

Not on an unmanaged budget server, it is fully your responsibility. I have paid $100's for a server at a premium datacenter and still had the responsibility to secure my server.

• emreemre Member, LIR

TarZZ92 said: dont be a dick towards the OP. help him not insult him retard.

radueggleston said: they should protect there servers

radueggleston said: securing the server is the providers responsibility! and im not sending synfloods

huh! sorry. :)

Thanked by 1zevus
  • @Nekki said:

i think i need a managed server just offer me on my other thread

• radueggleston said:

i think i need a managed server just offer me on my other thread

If you have the budget for a managed server, yes this is definitely the way to go for you.

I am not a provider and cannot offer you anything, I'm afraid.

• radueggleston said: they should protect there servers

They should protect their network, which they are by suspending your hacked server.

Thanked by 2ucxo zevus
  • emreemre Member, LIR
    edited October 2015

@radueggleston do you know what "unmanaged" is ?

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/unmanaged-server-71423.html

read here for more information.

in short: provider only obliged to provide you:

1- electricity

2- network access

in an unmanaged dedicated server.

nothing more.

so it's your own responsibility to secure your own server.(full stop)

and if you want a managed server, it will cost you much more than $56 for a month,

because someone need to login to that server and take care of it.

and IT personnel time is not cheap :)

For example I pay $50 for half a hour for remote hands if I want something to be done in my colocated servers.

and now consider your self educated by me as @TarZZ92 said.