Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenBsd, EU "neutral", 2 cores/2 Go Ram/SSD ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenBsd, EU "neutral", 2 cores/2 Go Ram/SSD ?

Hello,

I am in search of hosting for my blog and a few personal services.
Can you help me select one ?

My needs :

* Openbsd
* SSD, 20 Go is plenty
* 2 cores
* 2 Go. ram
* Location : EU, I would prefer a "neutral" operator (excluding France), privacy is a must
* Usage : VPN, blog, small web services
* Bandwidth : not much (no streaming, download...)

Thanks a lot

Comments

• bersybersy Member
    edited October 2015

"Neutral", what do you mean by that?

Prometeus Cloud or KVM VPS. They support custom ISO, so OpenBSD isn't an issue.

There is a tempting offer from Dediserve at this moment, but they have only a FreeBSD template. @dediserve custom ISO is still not supported, is it?

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • @bersy said:
    dediserve custom ISO is still not supported, is it?

It's 'coming' although we've tested openBSD with mixed results... so it's still a work in progress to produce more BSD templates

• bersy said: "Neutral", what do you mean by that?

By neutral, I mean privacy oriented/minded.

• lmerinolmerino Member
    edited October 2015

I have OpenBSD running in most of my KVM instances: INIZ, EDIS, leaseweb. I had issues in the past with atlantic.net (non-eu), as they were using some optimized KVM virtio devices that are not supported.

• By the way, you can run the bsd installer from grub, invoking kopenbsd and the bsd.rd path. I usually bootstrap the process from a debian image.

• vultr?

• I have OpenBSD (OpenBSD 5.7) running in a KVM instance using the virtio devices and have had no compatibility issues at all. It's best to make sure that KVM is running on CentOS 6 and not CentOS 5.

• winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep

@tomq how about Xen HVM with OpenBSD? Can mount any custom ISO.

• @angstrom the problems where with OpenBSD 5.7 and vioscsi as disk driver. It was recognised, but refused to work correctly (it wasnt't even possible to complete an standard installation). The other virtio drivers work properly on 5.7 (there were quite a few bug fixes).

• Thanks @imerino for the hints. Iniz and Edis are not cheap.

@Sady : vultr is an US company. Not suited for my needs.

• zevuszevus Member
    edited October 2015

Never used iniz, but I'd definitely say that EDIS is cheap, for most of their locations.. like isle of man (well, I'll say the others that instantly came to mind also... chile, liechtenstein, iceland, israel)

my own personal experience, I had Iceland & Liechtenstein OpenVZ... no spontaneous reboots, servers stayed up whole term unless I rebooted them myself.... & Iceland could sustain 150Mbps downstream/upstream (despite it saying 100Mbps uplink).... Liechtenstein was around 40Mbps