Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway C1 performance !
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway C1 performance !

JunklessJunkless Member
edited October 2015 in General

So, I spun up a C1 to test its capabilities (to see if it is a viable option to host wordpress sites on). This is what I am getting today (which is much better than what I was getting today on the same instance) :

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash

CPU model :

Number of cores :

CPU frequency : MHz

Total amount of ram : 2023 MB

Total amount of swap : 0 MB

System uptime : 1 day, 9 min,

Download speed from CacheFly: 70.8MB/s

Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 3.99MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 3.08MB/s

Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.44MB/s

Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 30.4MB/s

Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 15.6MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 1.86MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 2.44MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 2.36MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 2.88MB/s

I/O speed : 90.2 MB/s

Is this normal for scaleway ? Doesnt look like it is upto the mark or is it just me ?

Thanked by 1Issam2204

Comments

• Throughput with US is always low, I usually max ~1.5M/s

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

For 3 euros I'd say it's pretty darn good.

• I got similar download speed when I tried them in September. Hosting sites on these for mainly US audience won't really work.

• Where is your perfomance test?

• @bersy said:
    Where is your perfomance test?

Oops, I meant network performance. I did test it with wordpress and it was taking anywhere between 2-5x more time to generate database heavy pages compared to 1core/1GB Wable instance.

Thanked by 2bersy sandro
  • @Junkless said:
    anywhere between 2-5x more time to generate database heavy pages compared to 1core/1GB Wable instance.

PHP-FPM will use multiple cores to handle different requests, but WordPress itself can't parallelize the processing (to say the truth PHP is bad for parallel processing), so, when you are running a heavy website, pages will actually load faster on a 1 intel monster core, but when it comes to multiple concurrent requests you will probably get better results on a C1 instance. You should get better results when looking for high loads on a C1 comparing to a single core VPS.

• Unless you are serving dynamic content with WP surely it makes sense to cache the pages anyway?

• @Junkless: You need to tweak those network buffers.

root@instantcloud:~# sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_rmem='10240 87380 12582912' root@instantcloud:~# sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_wmem='10240 87380 12582912' root@instantcloud:~# sysctl net.core.rmem_max=12582912 root@instantcloud:~# sysctl net.core.wmem_max=12582912

These are the results I got on Instantcloud.io

root@instantcloud:~# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash CPU model : ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l) Number of cores : 4 CPU frequency : MHz Total amount of ram : 2022 MB Total amount of swap : 0 MB System uptime : 5:45, Download speed from CacheFly: 68.6MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 5.55MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 7.46MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 5.57MB/s Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 48.2MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 42.3MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 4.56MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 5.87MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 5.63MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 9.99MB/s I/O speed : 90.1 MB/s

Thanked by 2netomx deadbeef
  • The filesystem defaults are set to ordered, and I have heard Scaleway uses SAN so default disk performance may not be good. With 2GB RAM though, you could run most of it out of memory - or atleast cache heavily.

• @rincewind said:
    The filesystem defaults are set to ordered, and I have heard Scaleway uses SAN so default disk performance may not be good. With 2GB RAM though, you could run most of it out of memory - or atleast cache heavily.

They don't use SAN. They use NBD and the performance is actually very good.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • Then maybe the OP's complaint of database performance can be fixed by a better config? That amount of RAM for the price looks very attractive.

• Honestly, if people stopped running this script for "benchmarking" performance, when almost none of these parameters help to measure "how fast" will load your sites.

Benchmark your cpu, that's what I mean.

Thanked by 2netomx MikePT
  • With that amount of RAM, I would cache both database and rendered pages. Use native code where an interpreter may just not cut it - if CPU performance is a concern.

Scaleway looks like a good platform for something Node based, with zero page rendering on server side.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • ShamliShamli Member
    edited October 2015

Got one for my personal torrent...added ffmpeg for video conversion....and it is running good ....not sure if used for heavy websites...

• @Shamli said:
    Got one for my personal torrent...added ffmpeg for video conversion....and it is running good ....not sure if used for heavy websites...

Plex runs like a charm too :D

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

I've been using their instance for a few weeks now for serving static files (images). Performs great, cpu usage averages around 3-5% and serving 500GB per day, with peaks to 400mbps.

Thanked by 2deadbeef vimalware
  • @vfuse said:
    I've been using their instance for a few weeks now for serving static files (images). Performs great, cpu usage averages around 3-5% and serving 500GB per day, with peaks to 400mbps.

Is your traffic mostly US or EU?

• @vfuse is that 400mbps without the premium bandwidth...??

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@deadbeef said:
    Is your traffic mostly US or EU?

Mostly US (40%), 30% EU

@Shamli said:
    vfuse is that 400mbps without the premium bandwidth...??

No not using the premium traffic, but forgot to mention it's a a bit of incoming traffic as well (30/70 incoming/outgoing). It's a great deal for the amount of bandwidth, works great for hosting files. I replaced a server I had with leaseweb (2x480gb ssd, 100tb) with this server.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @vfuse but still it is more than 200mbps....great value compare some other vps at the price....