Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Iceland pings
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Iceland pings

LeeLee Veteran
edited December 2012 in General

Bit of a random one here. I was thinking that a VPS placed in Iceland would create a nice fast(ish) route between the US and EU. Perhaps naively I expected the time to the East coast US and EU from Iceland to be reasonably similiar, but...

Checking a few providers they all seem to return the same kind of travel time. EU all around 50-60ms but east coast US 140ms right up to 200ms the further out you go. I get better results to the US from the UK..

Am I missing something or just expecting too much from Iceland to US?

Comments

• @W1V_Lee said: I get better results to the US from the UK..

Thats becasue virtually all connections to Iceland go over London

• @W1V_Lee said: Iceland would create a nice fast(ish) route between the US and EU

Iceland is not between Europe and the US. Have a look here.

• It would be logical to have lower pings from Iceland to USA East coast and to Europe, unfortunately Iceland seems to be a very small market and money doesn't always follow the lowest ping logic, it usually follows the biggest profit (in this case the cheapest bandwidth) logic.

Here is a nice map of undersea cables
    http://www.cablemap.info/

• http://www.submarinecablemap.com/

I'm not an EU expert, but from what I see of Iceland's submarine cables there's only 1 US bound cable via Greenland, and that doesn't look particularly latency friendly in terms of length + terminating at Newfoundland. So Iceland -> US would likely take the Iceland > UK > US paths instead.

• LeeLee Veteran

Indeed, it was the submarinecablemap that made me realise how crap the connectivity was heading to the US and I did notice the routing through London when doing a tracroute from NY.

So really I have not missed anything, it really it shit from Iceland to the US!