Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backup the backup NAs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backup the backup NAs

I've got a few Synology diskstations and rackstations, at a few of my clients. Most of them serve as SMB shares with company data, some as Active Directory PDC's.

These machines all run RAID 5/6 and use the built in backup functionality to backup to another synology, but I still like an external backup of them. Do you guys have experience with backing up Synology's to external locations?

I see glacier as an option, but that won't cut it. The clients data must be encrypted externally.

Are there any options? Paying is not a problem.

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Why not put a Synology in an external location? I personally use Cloud Station (you can run the client on one NAS and the server on the other so they will sync with each other).

Also if you want to give CrashPlan a try, there's a community package for CrashPlan and CrashPlan Pro for Synology NASs.

• You can use rsync from synology to another external linux or bitsync.
    I did it with scheduler to my external linux.

If you want encrypted do it with EncFS in linux side.