Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any VPS providers who are willing to announce IPs for free?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any VPS providers who are willing to announce IPs for free?

So yeah, I have a IPv6 block I want to announce with a VPS (preferrably KVM).

Any suggestions?

Comments

• @Mridul, I didn't want a dedicated server though.

Thanks -- I will definitely consider your offer @Clouvider.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • We could probably do it on our DDoS Protected LA and Dallas servers, if you have a /48.

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited October 2015

I do have a /48. @Steven_F, would I be able to do it on a OpenVZ VPS from you?

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Can do this in LA :) -- KVM based VPS only though.

• How do you get your own ipv6? I assume the /48 online.net gives you will remain their "property". Funnily enough, when I paid for my kidechire, on the ipv6 page, it said you don't own any ipv6 subnet yet. English fail.

I also guess that the /64 you get from tunnelbroker.net also stays with hurricane electrics.

• I got it from ip6.im :)

• @GM2015 said:
    I also guess that the /64 you get from tunnelbroker.net also stays with hurricane electrics.

Not really, you can create a BGP tunnel and announce it yourself and etc.. much like ip6.im does offer the /48s and Tunnel Broker also has a free /48s. In fact there you can get 5 free /48s.

• @FlamesRunner said:
    I do have a /48. Steven_F, would I be able to do it on a OpenVZ VPS from you?

Nope, not on our OVZ.

• Thanks guys, I'll take in the offers for consideration.

Though I'm probably going with @Steven_F :)

• @William IP6.im is down too many redirects

• GM2015 said: How do you get your own ipv6? I assume the /48 online.net gives you will remain their "property". Funnily enough, when I paid for my kidechire, on the ipv6 page, it said you don't own any ipv6 subnet yet. English fail.

You can get one free here (my service) https://ip6.im

The space online (or others) give you is their space yes, they will not allow you to announce it external.

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited October 2015

@William said:
    The space online (or others) give you is their space yes, they will not allow you to announce it external.

Tunnel Broker allows you to announce the IPv6 space they give you externally.

• FlamesRunner said: would I be able to do it on a OpenVZ VPS from you?

While it works on OVZ (i have this setup running to split a node in multiple BGP VMs with each a bunch of tunnels) you need either veth (easy) or some hacks (requires root on host), you also need GRE loaded.

Hidden_Refuge said: Tunnel Broker allows you do announce the IPv6 space they give you externally.

I highly doubt that.

• @William said:
    I highly doubt that.

Oh, right. I just rechecked it. They however allow to announce your own space with them (through their BGP tunnels) but their bandwidth and network is not so good so Idk who'd really like that.

Having my fair share of issues with the Tunnel Broker tunnels as I mentioned in my ip6.im application before. I made a new choice on their POPs and it seems to be kinda ok now. For example LT (VPSBiT) to Tunnel Broker Berlin, Germany POP is only around 16 ms if I ping their node from my LT VPS. I used this POP for the tunnel and the performance is actually pretty good and speed is ok.

• HE TB is "ok", traffic is obviously singlehomed HE which is not "good" but "useable" - For a free service not bad. BGP is pretty cool/rare feature. My main issue with TB is that you can't reach anyone singlehomed to Cogent (like FDCServers).

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

That's an issue, right, but the problem cause is cogent. HE does even bake cakes to ask cogent for peering but they refuse.

• @patrick7 said:
    That's an issue, right, but the problem cause is cogent. HE does even bake cakes to ask cogent for peering but they refuse.

It's like the little game DTAG and Level 3 are playing. Blaming each other when customers complain about slow Youtube and etc.. Nothing ever really happened. Traceroutes indicate level 3 is at fault but they always refuse and say DTAG should fix their shit...

It's funny to flex their muscle on millions of paying clients all around the world and not only in Germany.

• @patrick7 said:

You sure HE made this? There are spelling mistakes....

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

Slang?

• Hidden_Refuge said: It's like the little game DTAG and Level 3 are playing. Blaming each other when customers complain about slow Youtube and etc.. Nothing ever really happened. Traceroutes indicate level 3 is at fault but they always refuse and say DTAG should fix their shit...

The backbone issue with that is that DTAG believes it is a Tier1 and entitled to settlement free and - and this is the issue, not the settlement free - ratio free peering. Obviously all Tier1s don't care about that and DTAG still has to pay for most BW to them but they don't upgrade ports anymore to get customers complaining at their upstream and force their will on them.

In the long run DTAG will probably win - Their network is HUGE for a state telco with endusers only in one country (backbone spans US, EU and Asia), compareable to Verizon. They are literally too big to fail with this with many million customers.

emdad said: You sure HE made this? There are spelling mistakes....

Yea, either for an ARIN or NANOG meeting, don't know anymore.