Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage VPS / Dedi's
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage VPS / Dedi's

SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
edited October 2015 in Requests

Anyone know which VPS providers other than BuyVM & Vultr (Storage Series) have high disk offerings (with moderate CPU & ram)? Bonus points for a SSD cache.

Minimum disk 1TB, budget of $40/TB. Must be located in EU.

No companies younger than 2 years. Please no OVH/SYS/etc as well.

Comments

• Time4vps?

• MunMun Member

https://vpsboard.com/topic/7768-backup-space/

I am using this for backups and I <3 it.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@black said:
    Time4vps?

Sorry not moderately specced CPU "1 x 1.90 GHz". Atleast 2x2.8+ cores at a minimum.

I forgot to mention, bonus points for a SSD cache.

• @SplitIce said:
    Sorry not moderately specced CPU "1 x 1.90 GHz". Atleast 2x2.8+ cores at a minimum.

I'm sure they'll give you something custom if you're willing to pay $40/TB.

• @SplitIce said:
    Anyone know which VPS providers other than BuyVM & Vultr (Storage Series) have high disk offerings (with moderate CPU & ram)? Bonus points for a SSD cache.

Get a dedi from serverdiscount

• They won't - Their CPUs are IIRC only 2Ghz E5s.

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited October 2015

Mun said: I am using this for backups and I <3 it.

Are you using Slothosting? How are you finding it?

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

We can do

-xeon 3000 1.89 * 2

-4 gb ddr

-2tb HDD (by default 1tb but you can ask for a 2tb while ordering the server).

-46 € /mo

Crazy fish on the page https://express.ikoula.com/en/dedicated-server

• bersybersy Member
    edited October 2015

If 800GB is OK, check ZXPlay KVM 2GB RAM, 1 E5-1650v2 CPU storage offer.

• ZXPlay/ZXHost @AshleyUK DE
    Delimiter SlotHosting @MarkTurner US (Atl)
    Dacentec $25 dedi or so @dacentec US (NC)
    Somedays @xfsduke may have something

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @28Tom - Delimiter has some aggressively priced Storage VPS and servers.

• @MarkTurner said:
    28Tom - Delimiter has some aggressively priced Storage VPS and servers.

Ive seen :P

• @SplitIce said:

You don't mention dedicated machines here but do in the title. One place to look is Dacentec (https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/cart/dedicated-servers/). They are listing quite a few that seem to fit your requirements, including a $25/mo one with 2x2TB (so $10/TB when used with RAID1) if that CPU is beefy enough for you. Occasionally there is a $20 version available with a slightly older CPU. At least some of the machines can have extra drives added to (I added a third 2Tb to my $20 one, and IIRC the form had room for up to three more).

@SplitIce said:

It never ceases to amaze me how people who have specific objectively measurable requirements (like "2x2.8+") state vague requirements with subjective words (like "moderately specced") instead and expect other people to guess the less vague details when they could have just been stated from the start...

Thanked by 2Junkless BensDaMan
  • @SplitIce said:

Thought I'd paste this here in case your use case was just rsync.

That 1.90GHz Time4vps core stays at Load-avg 0.23 during a 90Mbps capped transfer over rsync (been running for 12hrs now).
    I guess it could do 300M without complaining, depending on the peering.

• @SplitIce said:

A Scaleway C1 dedicated server will cost you 2,99eur and you can attach 20 50GB volumes to your server (1TB) paying 1eur/volume. A total of 22,99eur for:

Unmetered 200mbps network;
    2GB RAM
    4 ARM Cores @ 1.6GHz
    1TB SSD

If you need more space, you will save 1eur on a new server if you don't use another public IP.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

I can offer 20$ for a dedicated E5-2650 v2 vCPU and 4GB Ram, then an additional 20$ per TB of ssd cached storage.

edited October 2015

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:
    It never ceases to amaze me how people who have specific objectively measurable requirements (like "2x2.8+") state vague requirements with subjective words (like "moderately specced") instead and expect other people to guess the less vague details when they could have just been stated from the start...

No measurements at all, 4x2.2Ghz, 2x2.8Ghz acceptable etc, 1x1.9Ghz (likely atom) not. I.e this server actually does more than store / retrieve data.

Everyone note in the requirements "Must be located in EU". The USA has not joined the European Union just yet.

And thanks for the suggestions in Germany. I have previously been a customer of Hetzner in the past. And time4vps and serverdiscount are new to me but interesting options.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@SplitIce said:
    1x1.9Ghz (likely atom)

It is actually e5 2609v3 if we are talking about time4vps.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • https://www.worldstream.nl might have what you're looking for, i definitly can recommend them! Excellent support you can count on and very reliable network. You also could take a look at http://i3d.net/deals

• Look at so soyoustart.com. ~36€ for an dedi with 2*2TB

Thanked by 1hawkjohn7
  • Maybe this would fit your needs? https://www.transip.eu/vps/big-storage/

2 TB for €10 + €10 the cheapest VPS they offer = €20. Hosted in the Netherlands.

edited October 2015

@george_zip That actually looks like a very nice offer. Anyone know if they are a new company or long established? Backed by any big players etc?

Google returns results for domain registrations back a long way, so looks good. Although has mixed reviews.

• zevuszevus Member
    edited October 2015

Digicube?

You could configure one of their really cheap models with an excessively large HDD.

re:

http://digicube.fr/rapidserveurs/55

(ed: nm that one, I see 'moderate ram and cpu'... maybe something else on that site though)

edited December 2015

Update Time: Progress so far

So far transip has been amazing. Our plan with them, which is half the cost of our previous host of this service (RamNode) is a massive overkill. CPUs are fast, Disk IO plentiful and the network seems reliable so far. With 2TB of disk space (and cheap access to more) I plan to expand retention of historical monitoring data two fold in most areas :)

I'll update in a few months with a more extensive review if I remember. But so far very good. :)

My only gripe so far is the VAT policy and procedures. Sigh, EU.

Thanks @george_zip

• SplitIce said: My only gripe so far is the VAT policy and procedures. Sigh, EU.

Did they not remove VAT for you?

They did but required an ID scan. I wasnt too happy about providing that via a standard ticketing system.

Ended up redacting most of the details (except state & country) from it and storing it in a location I control (where I subsequently deleted it after verification).

• @SplitIce said:

If you don't care for specifications, eg processor I have Atom 330's in the UK, with 2GB ram, plus 1TB HDD for $20/mo..

Let me know..

Thanks..

• @SplitIce said:
    Update Time: Progress so far

So far transip has been amazing. Our plan with them, which is half the cost of our previous host of this service (RamNode) is a massive overkill. CPUs are fast, Disk IO plentiful and the network seems reliable so far. With 2TB of disk space (and cheap access to more) I plan to expand retention of historical monitoring data two fold in most areas :)

I'll update in a few months with a more extensive review if I remember. But so far very good. :)

My only gripe so far is the VAT policy and procedures. Sigh, EU.

Thanks george_zip

They are reliable. One of the bigger (maybe biggest) and well established hosts in The Netherlands.