Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

fair pricing for hourly vps billing?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

fair pricing for hourly vps billing?

vpsninevpsnine Member
edited October 2015 in General

I am just working on pricing for a new hourly billing product we are going to launch. It will be aimed at resellers and allow resellers to use the existing Solusvm module in any billing system to provision VPSs with us. I have noticed that most folks charging hourly seem to still offer it based on packages, but I am proposing to break it down so that one is not limited to certain packages. What do you guys think is reasonable to bill for:

• Bandwidth
  • Cores (openvz)
  • Memory (openvz)
  • Disk (openvz)
  • Cores (KVM)
  • Memory (KVM)
  • Disk (KVM)

I have some pricing in mind, but wanted to hear the communities opinion before we start with something that is just unrealistic.

Also if anyone does know of existing providers with hourly billing broken down like this let me know. I know Softlayer does most of it, but they are bit out of price range for this community generally.

Just to be clear I am not talking about selling the software that does this.

Comments

• I think the main reason for offering packages is so you don't end up with a bunch of unused resources. If everyone uses 4+ cores and 512mb RAM you would have alot of unused RAM on the server.

• We have found offering both packages and the option to build your own server to be good, a lot of people just want a load of resources and dont care about customizing it, but at the same time some people know exactly what they want and prefer to build their own spec. Having both seems to work well for us at least, no idea how it would from a reseller POV as we havent looked much into that side of things ourselves yet.