Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's election time, don't forget to vote!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

It's election time, don't forget to vote!

I just got a call from ARIN to remind me to vote for their elections. I've been getting e-mails and snail mail from them for weeks. Have you voted? If so, who'd you vote for?!

Is there any chance we could see some real change, though? It's not like we're going to pick a guy who's going to go after the IP hoarders and reclaim the millions of IPs that shouldn't have been given out in the first place.

Comments

• The funny thing is when IPv6 becomes the norm, IPv4s won't be worth anything. It's smarter for these "hoarders" to give back some IPv4 space just to slowdown the adaption of IPv6 addresses.

Thanked by 1tehdan
  • @black said:

What you can expect to see is a sharp rise in prices for IPs for a few years and after 3 - 5 years, when IPv6 becomes the norm, you'll see a massive drop.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

IPv6 will not "become" the norm, it must be pushed by the members, if they will resist it, it may never become the norm, more "solutions" will be found, such as every ISP will NAT everything inside own network.

Thanked by 1Stevie

You are joking, right?
    Even if it would go quickly, availability, does not mean adoption. Electric cars can work now on the roads, yet they are not adopted.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • i think it'll be something like 3 years. An exponential graph from real-world data is pretty impressive in terms of growth.

As I said, say this year we get to 10%, even if we had 90% available, people will still moan for their IPv4, because of the 10% which still hang on to their allocations.

• Maounique said: even if we had 90% available, people will still moan for their IPv4, because of the 10% which still hang on to their allocations.

That might be true, I guess time will tell :P

• @black said:
    The funny thing is when IPv6 becomes the norm, IPv4s won't be worth anything. It's smarter for these "hoarders" to give back some IPv4 space just to slowdown the adaption of IPv6 addresses.

Interesting idea. But I think if one gives back, another will just take it away.

• @Maounique said:
    As I said, say this year we get to 10%, even if we had 90% available, people will still moan for their IPv4, because of the 10% which still hang on to their allocations.

The thing is you have to pay for IPv4, and IPv6 is basically free. Once IPv6 is deployed to the residential broadband, IPv4 will go very quickly like floppy disks, CDROM. My $.02.

• Its in any major IPv4 holders interest to delay the rollout of IPv6. There is no point willfully devaluing your very saleable asset.

IPv6 has been around a long time and still no major access network is providing IPv6-only services neither are any major access networks providing IPv6 by default. Its just fringe operators (usually smaller ones) who have been pushing it.

• Won't happen until people are forced to do it. If people were not forced to adapt to the new tech they would be happy where they are for the most part. The average person has no clue what it takes to run a website, let alone what happens inside their cars.

The whole ipv4 ipv6 means nothing to them all they know is they can use the internet to get facecrap stuff and message their cat pics. Until ipv6 is forced upon the world "the masses" will not have a clue, and still probably will not have one.

They will continue to follow the mainstream media's representations, and facts about products. As long as their tablets, phones, laptops,.....etc. continue to work they will not care.

fact is less and less people are ipv4 only, i mean major operators, so, if a provider starts giving ipv6 only tomorrow and sets the router to do a tunnel in some conditions, it will work for most part.

• Maounique said: Electric cars can work now on the roads, yet they are not adopted.

uh, what? Electric cars and Plug-in-Hybrid gained quite a market share over the last years, from essentially 0 to at least 2% now - In some countries like Norway even much more.