Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legal implications of VPN/VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Legal implications of VPN/VPS?

krs360krs360 Member
edited December 2012 in General

If I were to provide VPN and VPS services for a small fee to third parties - where do I stand if they were to be abused, i.e ddos/copyright infringement/other legal activity.

Is there a way around this? I'm assuming something in the TOS to explain that they are liable for any actions and consequences that might arise from the use of the service they rent. Or - being the provider am I basically liable for it too?

Comments

• @krs360 said: Is there a way around this? I'm assuming something in the TOS to explain that they are liable for any actions and consequences that might arise from the use of the service they rent. Or - being the provider am I basically liable for it too?

How do you plan to monitor for abuse?

• @krs360 said: Or - being the provider am I basically liable for it too?

Think of yourself as a landlord who offers "rooms" to rent for your tenants ("customers")

The VPN business is kinda scummy.

Many providers (I could give you a laundry list of names) (ab)use VPS reseller programs, have huge incoming DDoS attacks, and just play the VPS reseller shell game by going to different providers. If you use such a scummy provider, you probably got new login information overnight after they were evicted.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

A VPN provider is treated like an ISP. It is more or less providing residential lines.
    You should keep good logs and have made reasonable efforts to get accurate signing data and yous hould not have much problems witht he law, however, your provider is another story.