Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cpu throttling
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cpu throttling

I am having a e3 1275 that is having high temperatures on high load. Eg. 74 degrees Celsius

If a CPU is throttling, will the lower frequency be visible in /proc/cpuinfo ?

Comments

• camarg said: If a CPU is throttling, will the lower frequency be visible in /proc/cpuinfo ?

Should be. maybe ask the provider to take a look at the cooler and or thermal paste

• @TarZZ92 said:

Or to stop being a cheap skate and turn the AC on!

Thanked by 2NexHost yomero
  • camarg said: If a CPU is throttling

I don't think such measly temps as 74C will cause throttling. I think you have to be considerably closer to 100C.

• charliecharlie Member, Host Rep

@singsing said:
    I don't think such measly temps as 74C will cause throttling. I think you have to be considerably closer to 100C.

E3-1275 maximum operating temperature is 72.6 °C, so 74°C is high.

Need to check other sensors in the server (motherboard, air, whatever exist), and if alls are ok (around 20-25°C), possible to have a problem with the heatsink.

Thanked by 1camarg
  • @charlie The servers temperatures are a little bit over the usual for the other sensors as well but inside the operating temperatures. After working for two days with the datacenter they have changed the thermal paste, the cpu fan and added another fan to the chassis. I asked them to change the server location as well but they told me that the cooling and the air-flow in the cabinet was fine. The temperatures seems to be better now.

• charliecharlie Member, Host Rep

@camarg said:

by the way, what kind of server are you have? It's racked, or blade, etc?