Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help, Getting IPv6 working inside VMs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need help, Getting IPv6 working inside VMs

edited October 2015 in Help

Hi, I currently have a server with Dacentec. I am currently running VMs behind a VyOS software router.

They gave me a /48 with the network and gateway. The ::1 you see below in the config is the gateway.

Fiddling around, I managed to get IPv6 to work in VyOS with the following config

interfaces {
 ethernet eth0 {
     address <address removed>
     address <address removed>:4CC::2/48
     duplex auto
     firewall {
         in {
             name eth0-v4-FWD
         }
         local {
             name eth0-v4-IN
         }
     }
     smp_affinity auto
     speed auto
 }
 ethernet eth1 {
     address 10.5.0.1/16
     address <address removed>:4CC:babe::1/64
     duplex auto
     firewall {
         local {
             name eth1-v4-IN
         }
     }
     ipv6 {
         router-advert {
             name-server <address removed>:4CC:babe::1
             prefix <address removed>:4CC:babe::/64 {
             }
             send-advert true
         }
     }
     smp_affinity auto
     speed auto
 }
}
protocols {
 static {
     route6 ::/0 {
         next-hop <address removed>:4CC::1 {
         }
     }
 }
}

There is no firewall on for v6, I will enable that later when I get this working.

At the moment, VMs are connected to a bridge (eth1), and are receiving their proper ipv6 addresses via router adverts.

However, v6 traffic sent by the VMs don't seem to make it back quite right.

On a MTR from the VMs, the VMs can get to eth1, but nothing beyond that.

On a MTR from the web to the VM, the traffic drops off right before the VM. The first screenshot is to :4CC::2, while the second screenshot is to a VM.

Thanked by 1hcuk94

Comments

• That was a pain, it took me a while to get IPv6 working both ways under Dacentec. I could tell you what I did and it might help (I was using vanilla KVM)?

I setup my host to act as the gateway (taking 2607:XXX:XXX:1::1 for it's self).

iface eth0 inet6 static
            address 2607:XXX:XXX:1::1
            netmask 128
            gateway 2607:XXX:XXX::1

I enabled forwarding under IPv6 which disables accept_ra. I re-enabled it via setting 2. Then to allow packets to be proxied via the gateway I enabled proxy_ndp.

net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1
    net.ipv6.conf.eth0.accept_ra=2
    net.ipv6.conf.br0.accept_ra=2
    net.ipv6.conf.all.proxy_ndp=1

I setup up my bridge to use my host as the gateway taking the IPv6 /48 subnet.

iface br0 inet6 static
            address 2607:XXX:XXX:1::1
            netmask 48

I setup up the neigh proxy so that I could get packets to hit my host through 2607:XXX:XXX:1::1.

up ip -6 neigh add proxy 2607:XXX:XXX:1::100 dev eth0
            up ip -6 neigh add proxy 2607:XXX:XXX:1::101 dev eth0
            up ip -6 neigh add proxy 2607:XXX:XXX:1::102 dev eth0

Then finally I setup my routes to get from my gateway to my VM's.

up ip -6 route add       2607:XXX:XXX:1::100 dev br0
            up ip -6 route add       2607:XXX:XXX:1::101 dev br0
            up ip -6 route add       2607:XXX:XXX:1::102 dev br0

Without the routes I was able to access the VM over IPv6 if I pinged the gateway.

Thanked by 1PrincessOfCats
  • edited October 2015

Thanks!

You've pointed me in the right direction. I enabled forwarding/ra/ndp on VyOS, then I went to add the VM addresses via neighbor proxy. The entire setup runs on Proxmox with VyOS being the firewall. The VMs are running on a private bridge that is attached to VyOS.

Quite irritating just to get ipv6 support on the VMs though.

Edit:
    Found an app named Ndppd which automatically manages the proxying. Works fine, new VMs get connection to ipv6 instantly.

• @PrincessOfCats said:
    Thanks!

You've pointed me in the right direction. I enabled forwarding/ra/ndp on VyOS, then I went to add the VM addresses via neighbor proxy. The entire setup runs on Proxmox with VyOS being the firewall. The VMs are running on a private bridge that is attached to VyOS.

Quite irritating just to get ipv6 support on the VMs though.

Edit:
    Found an app named Ndppd which automatically manages the proxying. Works fine, new VMs get connection to ipv6 instantly.

Hi there, I realise this is a very old thread now, but I'm currently fighting a similar battle with a hypervisor running in OVH with their questionable IPv6 offering.

If by any chance you are still running this config would you mind sharing your working config for VyOS? Thanks!

Thanked by 1Dazzle