Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seafile with hubic underneath
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seafile with hubic underneath

BarisBaris Member

Hi,
did anybody try to run seafile with hubic underneath so that every file given to seafile will be saved to a hubic mount, ideally using hubic as a space extender? Will this work?

Comments

• No, but we have customers who run Seafile with our ObjSpace service (http://www.delimiter.com/landingpage/objspace/) similar concept but faster platform.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • JunJun Member

Hubic doesn't have first part mount option. You'll need to use third party solution like hubicfuse which was not very stable from my experience. I heard some negative reviews about Seafile that it may corrupt badly on unstable filesystems. I wouldn't really dare trying your idea.

• @MarkTurner
    Your objspace is too much for my purpose. I digitalized all my family pictures and videos the last six months step by step in my freetime plus other pictures and videos from the digital cam era. I have two backups offline (in seperate locations) and want a third backup online which I would like to share over seafile with my other family members, giving them the option to complete the collection. The host machine is a 1,99 Euro server from online.net and I lack hard disk space. Overall I need roughly over 1 TB of space with the possibility to scale upwards. Your objspace is fitting my technical needs pefectly, but I want to keep it lowcost. That's why I regarded hubic as an option. Pushing 1 TB upstream over my home connection is a real pain but luckily I was granted permission to use the full duplex 100mbit line at my workplace after hours.

@Jun
    I experimented with hubicfuse when I tried to use hubic as offload space for a plex server running on a N2800 OVH machine. The experiment failed miserably because plex did not start the playback of a movie until hubicfuse would cache the complete file (each file 5-10 GB). My hope was that hubic might perform better with way smaller files like pictures and H.265 videos. With the price drop to 5 Euro per month for 10TB I thought that it might deserve a second chance. But your post makes me wonder if this is a good idea. I think I will try it in a non productive environment out of sheer curiosity but will settle with alternatives like time4vps (storage servers).

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited October 2015

I've tried hubicfuse(https://github.com/TurboGit/hubicfuse I think), setup worked for after messing around with it for some time, with Owncloud(not seafile obviously).

I've had lots of fatal erros on owncloud's error log with hubic and timeouts.

I don't know if its owncloud's fault(seems to have a lot of problems with server-side encryption on with external storage, like gdrive and dropbox).

I also had lots of empty files and seemingly empty directories with owncloud on hubicfuse.

I don't really recommend it with owncloud, but that's not what you're asking anyway.

Also see http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/50019/hubicfuse-or-cloudfuse and http://mir7.ovh.net/ovh-applications/hubic/hubiC-Linux/

Thanked by 1Baris
  • Baris said: but I want to keep it lowcost.

What is your budget for this project?

• @GM2015 said:

I have setup hubicfuse underneath seafile and I make a test upload right now:

As you can see upload speed is very poor. I see traffic spikes on the seafile machine up to 50mbit per second but after a picture is uploaded successfully it will idle for a long time before getting the next picture.

@MarkTurner said:

My budget is not very high. I need 2TB of space. I favour the 2TB storage server from time4vps right now. Paid anually I have a price of 3 Euro per 1 TB of space per month.