Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too many authentication failures for USER [Online.net]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Too many authentication failures for USER [Online.net]

RolterRolter Member
edited October 2015 in Help

Hello everyone , so i got a new server from online.net and after installing the OS (Tried with Centos and Debian) , when i try to SSH into the server with the password that i had choosed prior to installing the server I am getting the following error on all my applications (Intellij , PHPstorm , atom editor , notepad++)..

The error is - "Too many authentication failure for the USER 'USERNAME'".

I have read about server trying to login with all rsa keys , but i am not using keys , i am using passwords .

Has anyone else had the same problem ?

Any help is really appreciated .

Comments

• From my experience, you need to login with "user login" and "password" you specified during OS installation. "root" account was disabled by default.

Thanked by 1Rolter
  • edited October 2015

Better change SSH port it's best way to protect form such things :)

• You login with the user:

Then you go to /etc / ssh/ sshd_config and set PermitRootLogin to yes.

Thanked by 1Rolter
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited October 2015

On debian jessie, I had to login with the user you set up and use su to become root. Then you can do whatever you want.

Root was setup with passwordless logins as it's the default on ubuntu 1504 and debian 8 I believe.

• You can login with >

ssh -o PubkeyAuthentication=no root@ip-address

Then you will not get that error message and you will be able to login

Thanked by 1Rolter
  • Thanks to everyone , but it seems their is a problem with either online.net Centos/debian install image (very unlikely) or i am doing something stupid here.

It seems even if i disable key check by using ssh -o PubkeyAuthentication=no root@ip-address and enter the correct password , login never works .

Now off to rescue mode to see if i can do something their ..

• Ssh as user then run command "su".

Thanked by 24n0nx Rolter
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@GalaxyHostPlus said:
    Better change SSH port it's best way to protect form such things :)

It's a no way to protect from anything. It gives you zero security improvement.

Thanked by 2ATHK singsing
  • @Clouvider said:

It will protect from bots which scan port 22 with random passwords. that what i mean :)

• @GalaxyHostPlus said:
    It will protect from bots which scan port 22 with random passwords. that what i mean :)

Not really.. You should be using keys anyway.

• @GalaxyHostPlus said:

The days of bots just looking at port 22 have well gone.

• @Nomad said:
    Ssh as user then run command "su".

@Clouvider said:
    @GalaxyHostPlus said:
    @ATHK said:
    Not really.. You should be using keys anyway.

This is a fresh install in an Online.net server i bought only a day ago , and i have re-installed the server a good number of times with Centos/Debian on it . And i can confirm that their is no security issue with this server else i would have had a security alert or ateast a log from online.net.

I have tried rescue mode and IDRAC , but I am having a tough time figuring out which partition to mount , so that i can chroot to it and re-set the root/user password.

• If you are using online.net and have a similar problem to mine , even after using the rescue mode , you should contact online.net support .

In my case Hard drives were not attached to BIOS or wte that means ....They fixed it and i am now able to use the server fine.

BTW , reply time from online.net was <30 seconds and its weekend .