Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEnd CDN?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEnd CDN?

blackblack Member
edited December 2012 in General

Suggestions?

Comments

• Cloudflare...

• XtreamServersXtreamServers Member
    edited December 2012

• Requirements? :)

• jhjh Member

How many GB/month do you need?

• I'm using cloudflare right now.

I know stylexnetworks has 90 POPs for $0.06/GB, I was going to go with that but maybe LET has something better?

• CDN77 is the next cheapest to cloudflare

• Just build your own CDN

• blackblack Member
    edited December 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: Just build your own CDN

Any links on how to do so?

• @black said: I know stylexnetworks has 90 POPs for $0.06/GB, I was going to go with that but maybe LET has something better?

They'll be using the OnApp CDN, so it might be worth shopping around for other OnApp resellers.

I'm personally using CDN77, they use a hybrid of OnApp's and their own CDN as far as I know. Performance is great, and their interface is easy to use.

• @black said: Any links on how to do so?

1. Buy some VPS'es around the world
    2. Install a webserver
    3. Push all content (rsync perhaps)
  • ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited December 2012

@BronzeByte said: Buy some VPS'es around the world

At scale, yeah, this would be a great idea. But since this is LowEndTalk, you simply won't get the same bang for your buck.

I mean, even if you did manage to find 90 POPs at $7 each, that's still $630/month.

• @ElliotJ said: I mean, even if you did manage to find 90 POPs at $7 each, that's still $630/month.

Unless you sell CDN services to people, that's why they exist...

• blackblack Member
    edited December 2012

The content is around 12 KB per transaction. According to cloudflare, the total amount of bandwidth used is around 60 MB in the past 30 days (lol). Setting up my own CDN would be too costly, so I think it's best if I just pay a CDN provider, that'll charge $/GB.

• I am working on creating a CDN currently. Pm me n we can talk.

• jhjh Member

I've got plenty of capacity on OnApp's CDN I could sell you a little on, if you like?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2012

The truth is, you don't need a CDN, you just think you do, because it sounds cool and "enterprisey" etc. Even most of the sites using free CloudFlare don't really need it either, and in fact lots of times it only gets in the way and/or actually slows things down.

In reality you'll be more than fine just serving from one host (maybe on a good set of upstream providers), and that's it.

@black said: the total amount of bandwidth used is around 60 MB in the past 30 days (lol).

"lol" indeed.

• @jhadley said: I've got plenty of capacity on OnApp's CDN I could sell you a little on, if you like?

Thanks for the offer, but it's a bit too much effort for you and I to exchange $0.06/year-ish

@rm_ said: "lol" indeed.

Heh, you're probably right. I don't need a CDN :P

• If you don't really need a CDN but think you do find something that you pay for on a megabyte by megabyte basis so you aren't billed each month for something you aren't really using. I have used Rackspace Cloud Files in the past for a CDN and it worked well.

• @black said: 12KB

Do you even know the purpose of a CDN?
    It's basically to get maximum download speed on files around the world.
    But even on a 1mbps India VPS I could download that in one second minus latency...

• My reason is to reduce the load times of a page since the content is closer to the individual that requests it.

• @black

That is exactly what cloudflare is intended for...

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@BronzeByte said: Do you even know the purpose of a CDN?

It's basically to get maximum download speed on files around the world.

No, it's not. At least, not just that. A far more important aspect is latency.

• I use Rackspace CDN (Akamai) and it's a few bucks a month for a few gigs of traffic.

• @BronzeByte said: That is exactly what cloudflare is intended for...

I'm already using cloudflare as mentioned above. They don't have as many POPs as onapp though. I'm just looking to try something new.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@black cloudflare is more than good enough for what you need.

• @black said: They don't have as many POPs as onapp though. I'm just looking to try something new.

They have Anycast IPs, that's more than you'll ever need.

• MaxCDN still has the 1TB free trial right, or is it for $1 now? Might one to try that. Will at least give you a year of CDN, so you can get more time building a VPS CDN of your own.

• @Paul

If you'd have used google you woulf have noticed it's $40

• CloudFlare has more PoPs than most CDNs have, and more PoPs doesn't always mean faster. CloudFlare's controls all their own hardware and network VS the OnApp CDN Federation. Some of OnApps PoPs have pretty shitty hardware/network. CloudFlare is more than you need.