Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Critique this wireframe
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Critique this wireframe

jhjh Member
edited December 2012 in General

Having my designer redo the Billr backend UI with a focus to make it look as nice as competing software, and making it easier to navigate etc. We're currently at the wireframe stage and I've been sent this. What do y'all think and what improvements can you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

I love it so far James :)

Looks fab. Tell your designer that they're doing a great job.

• I like it

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Looks quite nice. The two criticisms I'd cast, however:

• I think the green part of the logo should be contrasted a bit more, it's almost invisible now.
    • It's not immediately clear what the main menu is, and what the submenu is. Are the items on the left subitems of those at the top? Are those items at the top "tabs" for the categories on the left? Might want to look into making that clearer.

Congratulations on the name change, by the way :)

• jhjh Member

Thanks everyone.

@joepie91 said: I think the green part of the logo should be contrasted a bit more, it's almost invisible now.

Will ask her to do that.

@joepie91 said: It's not immediately clear what the main menu is, and what the submenu is. Are the items on the left subitems of those at the top? Are those items at the top "tabs" for the categories on the left? Might want to look into making that clearer.

Good point. How should we make it clear that the top bar is a submenu? Or will it be clear enough when there's content there?

edited December 2012

@jhadley said: Good point. How should we make it clear that the top bar is a submenu? Or will it be clear enough when there's content there?

I'd imagine something like the sidebar overtaking the top menu, instead of the other way around. As in, the sidebar protruding entirely up to the green bar at the top, "overlaying" the bar with the submenu. It'll probably need some more modifications to really make it look nice, but that would probably make a big difference in how it's interpreted.

EDIT: The trick is to make people look at the main menu first, and only then notice the submenu bar.

• @joepie91 said: EDIT: The trick is to make people look at the main menu first, and only then notice the submenu bar.

You could do that by just changing the font colour slightly - The main menu font being slightly darker than the submenu.

Also, I'm guessing there'll be tooltips and modals flying around too?
    Whilst I do love minimalism, having contextual helpers when needed is always nice

• jhjh Member

@ElliotJ said: You could do that by just changing the font colour slightly - The main menu font being slightly darker than the submenu.

I've asked her to move the menus around as well as look at the fonts.

@ElliotJ said: Also, I'm guessing there'll be tooltips and modals flying around too?

Hopefully, yes. I do want to make the software as easy to use as possible and I think tooltips in particular will be a part of that.

• Looks really good, I like it.

• Two things i'd personally change - One, make the green background a solid (or simple gradient) colour rather than a striped-affair; Two, get rid of the top-menu (difficult to distinguish the two menus) and use expanding/collapsing sub-menus on the sidebar.

Both otherwise, i really like that!

When do you hope to get this implemented to Billr? Also do you have a demo of the current system?

• I like it.

• Looks good , would've looked more appealing in some other colour shade sans green.

• jhjh Member

Thanks everyone. I've already given my designer the go-ahead to carry on with a few simple changes that @joepie91 mentioned.

@Dom said: When do you hope to get this implemented to Billr?

Sometime next month. I'll be working hard over the Christmas holiday to get v2.1 out, which will include:

• Complete design overhaul, of a similar quality to the best of the hosted solutions (Harvest, Ballpark, etc.)
    • Estimates, to be accepted, paid and converted into invoices
    • Separation of client side invoices and tickets as part of a new, complete client area
    • PDF email attachments
    • Translatable SMARTY templates for the client side – so you can change the language and change the look
    • Expansion of ticket system to include tickets not tied to invoices and email piping/importing
    • Easy import from competing software where CSV export is supported
    • Additional account contacts
    • User photos and user titles for ticket responses
    • Invoice refunds
    • Potential MaxMind integration

@Dom said: Also do you have a demo of the current system?

PM sent.

• Windows 8 theme + Jquerymobile + Jquery UI + All boot strap themes.

• another thread about your billing ?
    why not just post on your old thread/post?

• serverbearserverbear Member
    edited December 2012

Not a huge fan of the logo, it's a bit out of proportion (i.e. too big) + I think something that's purely white might work better (i.e. Example here but in black: http://bufferapp.com/)

@tommy said: another thread about your billing ?

why not just post on your old thread/post?

Probably because he's asking for feedback on something in particular, and a lot of people would miss that if he just revived an old thread and the start post had nothing to do with it.

The whole "why not just use the existing thread" does not really make sense for any thread that has gone beyond page 2 or so.

• NexusNexus Member
    edited December 2012

The outline of the book next to the logo definitely needs to be defined a bit more, cant really tell what it is unless I really looked at it...

It seems like it's a 3d looking open textbook? But other then that, the design looks pretty neat I do say so myself, whoever created this, mad props.

Edit: They better be getting pampered because unique designs like this are extremely rare.

• jhjh Member

@Nexus said: The outline of the book next to the logo definitely needs to be defined a bit more, cant really tell what it is unless I really looked at it...

I thought it was a wallet ;)

@Nexus said: the design looks pretty neat I do say so myself, whoever created this, mad props.

Edit: They better be getting pampered because unique designs like this are extremely rare.

They're getting paid about $2000 for the whole project, so quite a bit. But if the general consensus is it's good, useable work then I think it's worth it :)

• @joepie91 said: Probably because he's asking for feedback on something in particular, and a lot of people would miss that if he just revived an old thread and the start post had nothing to do with it.

The whole "why not just use the existing thread" does not really make sense for any thread that has gone beyond page 2 or so.

never thinking about that before :) thanks

I just thing he's doing 'hidden' promotion here.

• jhjh Member

Not really. People here aren't really my target customers.

Problem is I'm working alone on this and need some people to bounce ideas off, which is where the forums come in.

I'm upfront when I'm promoting - this isn't WHT after all ;)