Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The joys of HostSlim/VPSSlim
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The joys of HostSlim/VPSSlim

jkr1711jkr1711 Member
edited December 2012 in General

Well it looks like the big overselling is back with HostSlim. Got one of their 75% off VPS's to use as a small gameserver (San Andreas Multiplayer) and for some home backups. Performance initially was acceptable, throughput was disappointing across the Atlantic though.

Then it started to slow down horridly, SSH lags and cachefly download test is getting around 3MB/s. IO isn't that great either.

I began to get concerned, then I saw my disk was rapidly shrinking (I paid for 400GB) so naturally I opened a ticket to see what happened.

"John Richardson || Client 29/11/2012 21:24
Hello,

It looks like my VPS hard drive is shrinking. Could you fix this please?

"Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/simfs 369G 685M 323G 1% /
tmpfs 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /lib/init/rw
tmpfs 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /dev/shm"

Regards,

John

IP Address: 86.160.79.122
Ralph | HostSlim Staff || Staff 29/11/2012 21:25
Hi John,

Thank you for your message. I'm going to take a look for you and report back.

Kind Regards,
Ralph

HostSlim Europe
E: [email protected]
W: www.hostslim.eu
How would you rate this reply? Poor Excellent

John Richardson || Client 06/12/2012 19:10
Any update yet?...
John Richardson || Client 07/12/2012 00:41
Hi Ralph,

This is getting silly now, I only have 93G hdd allocated to me...

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/simfs 141G 2.6G 93G 3% /
none 2.0G 4.0K 2.0G 1% /dev
none 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /dev/shm

I cannot delay my shoutcast project any longer, I plan on using at least 300gb hdd so I need this sorted ASAP.

John Richardson || Client 08/12/2012 18:59
Ralph,

Why are you no longer answering my tickets?"

I'm sure that explains enough. They keep sweeping the issue under the carpet and it's just not acceptable. Currently, I'd say stay far far away. Hopefully Ralph will reply to my ticket before the world ends...

/wallofrage

Comments

• @jkr1711 you really thought you could get and use 400gb at their promo (or any) price?

• @unused not really, but I was not really expecting to see 93GB after 1 week and no ticket responses

• Maybe next time you should "reserve" your 300gb with a few 50gb files. easy to do with a little bash scripting. =/

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@FluX said: Maybe next time you should "reserve" your 300gb with a few 50gb files. easy to do with a little bash scripting. =/

:) I think everyone on OpenVZ should do that as standard

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2012

@unused said: @jkr1711 you really thought you could get and use 400gb at their promo (or any) price?

I'm not sure what's up with these kind of responses.

When there's an unrealistic offer of some sort (400GB is not necessarily unrealistic, by the way, it depends on the price and other specifications), of course you can't be surprised that it didn't work out, if you've done your research.

That doesn't take away your right to tell others about it, and definitely doesn't warrant "I told you so" type of responses when all that was being given was an explanation of the situation. If @jkr1711 had been hysterically shouting and ranting here, it would have been a very different story, but I see absolutely no issue with this post.

If someone refuses to deliver what they sold you, it's a scam, no matter what the price was or how obviously a scammer you believe they were.

• @joepie91 said: That doesn't take away your right to tell others about it, and definitely doesn't warrant "I told you so" type of responses when all that was being given was an explanation of the situation. If @jkr1711 had been hysterically shouting and ranting here, it would have been a very different story, but I see absolutely no issue with this post.

If someone refuses to deliver what they sold you, it's a scam, no matter what the price was or how obviously a scammer you believe they were.

+1

• If you're in the market for a new host, we can provide (and deliver!) 400gb of space.

• We can also provide that. 400 is not a problem

• @Jack said: for how much $?

4 cents per gigabyte * 400 = $16 as a base price, RAM and transfer additional.

• As it's for shoutcast streaming, I'm presuming that a decent amount of bandwidth would be needed.

I'd personally suggest @jkr1711 to get a 2GB Kimsufi. MP3 transcoding isn't too taxing and a Celeron should be able to deal with it with no problems.

@Jack said: @AnthonySmith then kill the IO in the process (clap)

I take it that would hurt you too then :)

Not really but I think everyone should do it, it will take a few minutes but wont destroy disk IO unless your on some silly raid 1 system in which case you deserve it :)

Over allocating disk space is the lowest of the low.

• no overselling disk i/o is the lowest of the low.

• @ElliotJ Yeah, I'm going to order a mKS. I just preferred a dutch location to test. (Majority of people that are going to use it are Dutch)

The magic of LET, I got a ticket response. VPS got recreated on a new node, currently writing some big files to preserve my space, lets see how this goes.

@24khost said: no overselling disk i/o is the lowest of the low.

And how exactly does one calculate how much disk IO R+W a client you don't have yet will use?

I will have to go ahead and assume that was a joke.

• dd if=/dev/zero of=file.txt count=1024 bs=314572800
    Terminated

They're watching me! I'll try and make a smaller file (300gb might've put too much stress on it)

Well its pointless filling the whole disk at once as that means you need to re-write everything you need more space, be kind to the node and do it in 2GB chunks every hour.

That way it does not hurt IO for any significant period and you can just delete 2GB at a time as you need it.

• @AnthonySmith yeah, I'm going to do that now; logic failure there. Thanks

• no joke. It is not about the I/O of one specific member. It is a statement about the most oversold thing people don't even realize. disk's are so much bigger and easier to fit so many people onto. But where it really costs is the I/O We see people here say all the time that I am getting crap on i/o why cause the have enough disk space but not enough i/o to many people on the disk array that they have with plent of space left over.

• "Hi John,

You should be able to use the 300-400GB disk space, as no new clients will be setup on this node.

We hope we made you a little bit more happy with our services because we truly want our clients to be happy!

Thank you for your patience and understanding."

@24khost so you think the failure to accurately predict the IO needs of your users is worse than selling 4TB of space on a 1TB array?

You could have 10 users kill your disk IO, its how you handle them that is important where as vastly over allocating disk space is borderline criminal imo. one is ignorance the other is malicious.

• @jkr1711 - hah!

• @AnthonySmith It is really hand in hand. Shouldn't be doing either of them in my opinion.

@24khost my point is that you cannot oversell disk IO as you cannot possibly have any idea what clients intend to run before then run it.

You could have 200 almost idle VPSes on a node doing 1 - 200 R+W requests p/second which would not even cause a decent array to break in to a yawn, where as you could have a brand new node and get 5 VPSes from hell.

You don't oversell Disk IO, you fail to manage it, indeed they should do neither but you plan your packages well in advance so over allocating disk space is completely pre meditated.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2012

@jkr1711 said: @ElliotJ Yeah, I'm going to order a mKS. I just preferred a dutch location to test. (Majority of people that are going to use it are Dutch)

Trust me, the connectivity from pretty much all of NL to OVH is good enough for radio streaming and such. You'll have no problem with that.

• @unused said: you really thought you could get and use 400gb at their promo (or any) price?

If an offer offers you 400 GB of disk space, you should be able to use it. Period.

However if they offer you 400 GB of disk space for $5 (I'm not aware of their promo), you know this is not realistic and the host oversells. I wouldn't go with such a host in the first place.

• @jkr1711 said: before the world ends...

Better act fast, Dec. 21, 2012 is right around the corner.

• @Paul It seems your humor took an arrow to the knee.

• @joepie91

Yawn.

@AnthonySmith said: so you think the failure to accurately predict the IO needs of your users is worse than selling 4TB of space on a 1TB array?

You could have 10 users kill your disk IO, its how you handle them that is important where as vastly over allocating disk space is borderline criminal imo. one is ignorance the other is malicious.

++ to this.

And if you're stupid enough to think someone won't do this when you pay LEB prices, you deserve what you get.

• I want a refund and I can't request it since it's been more than 7 days :(

• @Zetta said: It seems your humor took an arrow to the knee.

True that. Lol :)