Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a vps for Tor
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a vps for Tor

I need a vps for a Tor relay - not exit point.

Ram: 512Mb
Harddiske: 10Gb
CPU: must support AES-NI
Bandwidth: as much as possible..
Budget: ?

/Johnny

Comments

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited October 2015

itldc.com

ovh.com

seflow.it

yourserver.se

• scaleway.com

Thanked by 1afterSt0rm
  • hostmaze.com
    hostclean.net

• plusnettr said: hostmaze.com hostclean.net

a.k.a Phase-7

black said: scaleway.com

Probably the best choice! @Netstat

Thanked by 1netomx
  • exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@black said:
    scaleway.com

Since when ARMv7 supports AES-NI?

• exception0x876 said: Since when ARMv7 supports AES-NI?

Oops, didn't see that part.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

exception0x876 said: Since when ARMv7 supports AES-NI?

It will do even without supporting, the CPU is pretty OK and pushing more than 1 TB a day will raise eyebrows.
    Scaleway is the "way".

• Yourserver.se throttles Tor...............

Does the AES-NI part really matter? I think you get the most for your money with OVH VPS or with scaleway.

• @Maounique said:
    pushing more than 1 TB a day will raise eyebrows.

Guaranteed bandwidth on those servers is 200 Mbps, and Online lets you use every bit of that. It's only when you start regularly going over your guaranteed BW that they send you a message.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Recently, Tor is having bigger problems with network diversity than bandwidth itself.

Hosting just another relay on the cheapest French ISP is very easy, but I suggest to do your own research.

Just my two cents.

Thanked by 1trexos
  • @Nyr said:
    Recently, Tor is having bigger problems with network diversity than bandwidth itself.

Hosting just another relay on the cheapest French ISP is very easy, but I suggest to do your own research.

Just my two cents.

Thought the same.

• By the way does Tor support ipv6 now?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Ya

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Infinity580 said:
    Ya

But not exclusively, last I checked.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2015

I would recommend notifying your provider ahead of time that you are running a Tor relay, specifically explaining the consequences (eg. "no abusemail because it's a relay, so nothing publicly originates from it"). If things ever go awry for any reason, that will make things a lot easier to deal with :)

EDIT: And yes, please don't concentrate your servers around the big budget hosters. Network diversity is indeed rather important right now.

• @joepie91 said:
    I would recommend notifying your provider ahead of time that you are running a Tor relay, specifically explaining the consequences (eg. "no abusemail because it's a relay, so nothing publicly originates from it").

But he doesn't want an exit relay, everything going through would be encrypted so besides high bandwidth what would the other consequences be? It makes sense for an exit-relay, but why a non-exit one?

• Tor does its own "network diversity". All nodes in a certain IP range (idk how to write subnets soz) are automatically in a "family" or whatever it's called.

->Tor will not route traffic through 1.2.3.4 , 1.2.3.5 and 1.2.3.6.

If you want "diversity" then you'll rent a server that's in a network with no other Tor node and run it as exit.

I am running relays at home, however, because the ISPs change the IPs as they are dynamic and, even for always on connections, they still think you should feel the pain of a dynamic IP, tor classifies them as unstable and does not use the 1 Gbps network I have now guaranteed, not even 100 Mbps.
    IMO this is a major flaw in the way of diversity, many people have fat pipes at home, nowadays, they should be allowed to run at least relays.

• Maounique said: tor classifies them as unstable

It is not only classified as unstable - without a static IP it IS unstable for the network.

• afterSt0rmafterSt0rm Member
    edited October 2015

@exception0x876 said:
    Since when ARMv7 supports AES-NI?

AES-NI is a instruction set of Intel processors. Those Marvell ARMADA XP processors on the Scaleway machines does have a differente instruction set, but implements AES, DES, and 3DES encryption/decryption instructions on the hardware. For more information, read the spec datasheet (http://www.marvell.com/embedded-processors/armada-xp/assets/ARMADA-XP-Functional-SpecDatasheet.pdf)

EDIT: so many typos on mobile...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

EkaatyLinux said: implements AES, DES, and 3DES encryption/decryption instructions on the hardware.

It does, but to use that you also need to have this supported and enabled in (1) the Linux kernel, (2) OpenSSL, (3) Tor. And AFAIK none of those 3 support/enable it on Scaleway currently.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@EkaatyLinux said:
    AES-NI is a instruction set of Intel processors.

Thx I know that. I told the OP ARMv7 does not have AES-NI because it was his requirement.

@rm_ said:
    And AFAIK none of those 3 support/enable it on Scaleway currently.

At least their latest 4.1 kernel have support for it

zgrep -i cesa /proc/config.gz
    CONFIG_CRYPTO_DEV_MV_CESA=y

• @rm_ said:
    And AFAIK none of those 3 support/enable it on Scaleway currently.

I think it's time to open a request thread on the Scaleway community :)

It will work, even without, the CPU is powerful enough to do 200 mbps, I think, even if only 150 or so, it is still a fantastic deal.