Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your opinion on this new EU ruling
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's your opinion on this new EU ruling

GM2015GM2015 Member
edited October 2015 in General

As we all know, the EU is a bureaucratic nightmare. That's one thing most people agree on, with each having different opinion on the benefits and cons of the EU depending on where a person is living. The EU courts made plenty of questionable decisions, which were criticized by many people. One law I don't like is them forcing the VAT regulations that became on 1 January 2015. For that, we can thank Amazon, EU S.A.R.L and other companies selling from Luxembourg for years. It's just a pain.

I wonder what that ruling's effects in the link below will be on online businesses that do transactions between EU and USA.

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-media/europes-top-court-backs-law-student-facebook-privacy-case-n439126

We pretty much can expect the so much loved agencies doing their "jobs" uninterrupted. I assume FB, Google, Amazon and such will find a way around this anyway.

Comments

• GM2015 said: I wonder what that ruling's effects in the link below will be on online businesses that do transactions between EU and USA.

It will probably cause annoying pop-ups like the cookie law/ruling/whatever

Thanked by 2deadbeef jh
  • @4n0nx said:
    the cookie law/ruling/whatever

A prime example of mindless bureaucratic inefficiency.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • That's one of the most useless internet change I've faced myself with. You go to a site and if they have adsense/other strict advertising network on there, they have to pop this stupid message up which can kill advertising conversions plus it doesn't stop websites tracking you.

I wonder why the likes of firefox, IE and chrome doesn't come with noscript capabilities. If that would be a standard, it would pretty much quickly kill javascript related advertising.

4n0nx said: It will probably cause annoying pop-ups like the cookie law/ruling/whatever

Thanked by 1n0my
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

This was discussed soooo many times already...

Thanked by 1boernd
  • This is why I want the UK to finally leave the EU - IMHO it would only be for the best

Thanked by 1starservices
  • gibster said: This is why I want the UK to finally leave the EU - IMHO it would only be for the best

Yeah and then Scotland, Catalonia, Bavaria,.. will split as well.

• 4n0nx said: Yeah and then Scotland, Catalonia, Bavaria,.. will split as well.

Eventually only Greece will be left in EU.

Thanked by 1jh
  • @singsing said:
    Eventually only Greece will be left in EU.

At least they'll have plenty of printed money to support their inflation :).

• jhjh Member

I think overall it's a good thing. The EU has tighter restrictions on personal data and I don't see why the US should have a get-out clause. Potentially more bureaucratic for businesses that rely on US stuff in the EU, and a reduction in sales for US companies. Funny that the ruling came out just after TPP: it's almost a middle finger to the US's consumer protection.

@4n0nx said:
    It will probably cause annoying pop-ups like the cookie law/ruling/whatever

I hope not but honestly I wouldn't be surprised.

• So, which law protects us from UK's monitoring?

• Maths Making Encryption Possible.

Nomad said: So, which law protects us from UK's monitoring?

• Nomad said: So, which law protects us from UK's monitoring?

This case is about non-E.U. countries interfering with the fundamental rights of E.U. citizens. Issues regarding E.U. countries interfering with the fundamental rights of E.U. citizens must be left to future cases glossed over on national security grounds.

Thanked by 14n0nx