Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Abuser Node - Concept - How about a node for abusers ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Abuser Node - Concept - How about a node for abusers ?

darknessendsdarknessends Member
edited December 2012 in General

Hi guys,

All of you find abusers on your nodes.
How many of you thought that you can place all the abusers together on a node ??
Let them do whatever they want, so whenever u find a abuser you move him to a node where he can find competition.

Just a thought - may be you people already doing it.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Once on BuyVM my VPS was listed as being on an abuse node. Either a joke or I left something running that went nuts ;)

• I have an abusive VPS node, but the users are not abusers, just needing even higher resources than most, WordPress plugin addicts mostly.

• NHRoelNHRoel Member
    edited December 2012

For the average abuse (i.e. Memory and such), upgrading them to higher level plans are the best option, instead of moving. As for the others such as I/O,CPU etc, unless you rent those servers and don't love poor hardware at all, you really shouldn't keep those abusers. Dedicated servers are better fit for some people. You can't run the next youtube or facebook or wht from an average vps. ;)

• not evry custmer is abuser so why providers always assume that every customr buys cheap account to get more he pays for?

• We had a user that had something running on their vps that hung like clockwork every X hours, and hung the whole server. We convinced her to move to a dedicated so she would stop affecting other users... she still had the problem on her dedicated server but got it sorted out 4 months later.

• @DraterTel said: not evry custmer is abuser so why providers always assume that every customr buys cheap account to get more he pays for?

I don't think this was said, you are taking it out of context.

• @DraterTel said: not evry custmer is abuser so why providers always assume that every customr buys cheap account to get more he pays for?

Assuming for the unseen trouble that lies ahead is what makes you a business man :)

• @Corey said: We had a user that had something running on their vps that hung like clockwork every X hours, and hung the whole server. We convinced her to move to a dedicated so she would stop affecting other users... she still had the problem on her dedicated server but got it sorted out 4 months later.

@NinjaHawk_Roel said: Dedicated servers are better fit for some people.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jarland said: Once on BuyVM my VPS was listed as being on an abuse node. Either a joke or I left something running that went nuts ;)

It was named oakland. It was named after Oakland, California which is pretty much the hood.

Francisco

• @NinjaHawk_Roel said: For the average abuse (i.e. Memory and such)

What is memory abuse? o0

• Hosts that sell an amount of dedicated RAM to someone who uses it all, and consider it "abuse", are a fucking joke.

• NHRoelNHRoel Member
    edited December 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: What is memory abuse?
    @gubbyte said: Hosts that sell an amount of dedicated RAM to someone who uses it all, and consider it "abuse", are a fucking joke.

I am talking about back in the days when provider used to offer "burst" ram for ovz. Which, technically is the total amount of ram, you should expect but most of the provider used to offer that as additional memory you "might" use for X time. After that, it would have been considered as abuse. A screwy setup for which, most of us are guilty. Those are they days of memory abuse which is rare but still active :)

If you need 1024mb 24/7 but signed up with 512mb guaranteed/512mb burst and actually used that 1024mb for longer than you are allowed to, you should have signed up for 1024 guaranteed ram in the first place :)

• @gubbyte said: Hosts that sell an amount of dedicated RAM to someone who uses it all, and consider it "abuse", are a fucking joke.

+1

• @Corey said: @gubbyte said: Hosts that sell an amount of dedicated RAM to someone who uses it all, and consider it "abuse", are a fucking joke.

+1 as well

I believe that not RAM but I/O and sometimes CPU power is the real problem these days. The term overselling also becomes subjective. For example if you have a decent RAID-10 array and good CPU power then you can fire up KSM for KVM and go a bit of the amount of available server RAM while never actually hitting the physical limit. If you have SSD drives or SSD caching this becomes even better and can hardly be regarded as overselling. I believe that the overselling argument is outdated and should be buried.

• @marcm said: I believe that the overselling argument is outdated and should be buried.

We still have providers coming in who decides to sell 64 1GB vps from 8GB Nodes and 20Tb space from 500GB single harddrive. Not happening anytime soon :).

• @NinjaHawk_Roel said: We still have providers coming in who decides to sell 64 1GB vps from 8GB Nodes and 20Tb space from 500GB single harddrive. Not happening anytime soon :).

@NinjaHawk_Roel - That's sad but looking on the bright side they don't last long. You can't just magically make hardware perform better or be more than it is. So in that case you are right, your argument stands :-).

• @marcm As long as we have summer and winter vacations, it will not stop :). SwitchVM was a prime example.

While we at it, a new switchVM is coming soon with something really nice :)

• @NinjaHawk_Roel - people used to build computers at home, before that there were computer clubs, chess clubs, electronics clubs, you name it, or some used to work/tweak their cars in their free time. So now I take it people are setting up hosting companies as a hobby... it's actually pretty sad if you think about it.

• @marcm said: it's actually pretty sad if you think about it.

Typical pump and dump :(. You will not believe the amount of clean up we had to do after taking over switch and some other summer host I bagged from wht and some other forums.

• @NinjaHawk_Roel - Was the effort worth it for the additional customers gained?

• I think you would just be putting people who don't know they're abusing onto a node that's with actual abusers causing node fails and constant downtime.

• NHRoelNHRoel Member
    edited December 2012

@marcm said: Was the effort worth it for the additional customers gained?

50-50. For some brands, it was well worthy. 90% client stayed with us as once migrated, clients got surprised once they notice the increase in performance of a non oversold node and quality and speed of support ticket responses comparing previous management and that is about 400 new clients :D . While some like Switch was just an hassle, due to the insane double resources for the price point which was offered, we weren't able to honor those promo without breaking our own resource allocation policy. Some understood, some not. About 30% are still with us from switch and another one and really happy with what they have.

• @Ishaq said: I think you would just be putting people who don't know they're abusing onto a node that's with actual abusers causing node fails and constant downtime.

Awaits WHT and LET threads: Provider X scam, constant downtime and slow server.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

We had a node set aside for abusers. It actually only had 1 VPS on it though but we gave him access to all 8 cores until he was done processing his data. I think it took him a week just for one database. Now-a-days though we charge a premium for people who need dedicated resources.

• @KuJoe said: I think it took him a week

Please say this wasn't one of your $1.96 accounts

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2012

@miTgiB said: Please say this wasn't one of your $1.96 accounts

He was paying $4/month but the database was just under 30GB I think.