Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildCard SSL Certs - A Question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WildCard SSL Certs - A Question

Hi all,

First of all, I know that there was a previous post about this, however I cannot seem to find it.

I was hoping someone could help me out.

Can you please tell me the cheapest place you can find WildCard SSL certificates? And when I install them (into IIS, for example) Would I need to add a cert for each subdomain or would I need to just add the one and then all the subdomains will be automatically covered?

Many thanks for all your time.

Comments

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

With a wildcard SSL cert all subdomains of a domain would be covered by the single certificate.

• 1 cert covers all subdomains but I believe you still need to configure the domains/subdomains to use that same cert.

• Here is the old thread about WildCard SSL http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/63656/looking-for-cheap-wildcard-ssl#latest

You only need to install the SSL cert 1 time. But you need to configure the sub domains to use what cert you want.

• i'd have to ask if the OP means wildcard for his subdomains, or as in covering multiple domains on the same server.
    Clarification could help

• DACDAC Member

Hello,

There are many places where you can find cheap SSL certificates, it's just a matter of looking around and deciding which place would be best for you to get your certificate and one certificate should cover your domain and sub-domains.

Here are a few things that I found very useful for installing an SSL certificate:

When you receive your certificate it will be just a text file, save it on disk on your server with a .cer extension, then you click the link in IIS for "Complete Certificate Request". Then browse to the .cer file you saved and select it.

It is very important that when you install the certificate you must enter a friendly name for the certificate, make sure you name it *.yourdomain.com. If you do not name it like that, the IIS 7.x won't let you set an SSL host header unless the friendly name starts with *.
    If you don't set a host name then you try to configure the certificate on another site, it causes an error and the second site won't start.

Once the certificate is installed with a friendly name starting with *, it will not be disabled and you will be able to set the SSL host header.

• dj1812dj1812 Member
    edited October 2015

@comXyz said:
    Here is the old thread about WildCard SSL http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/63656/looking-for-cheap-wildcard-ssl#latest

You only need to install the SSL cert 1 time. But you need to configure the sub domains to use what cert you want.

Thanks @comXyz, ssl2buy offers Wildcard SSL certificate at just 42$. Just issue your certificate on *.domainname.com that can secure your all sub-domains. https://www.ssl2buy.com/alphassl-wildcard.php

• gibster said: Can you please tell me the cheapest place you can find WildCard SSL certificates? And when I install them (into IIS, for example) Would I need to add a cert for each subdomain or would I need to just add the one and then all the subdomains will be automatically covered?

It's IIS, so you will need to read the docs, but maybe someone familiar will help, but you need to generate a CSR for *.domain.com and then install it for each host using it, IIS might allow cert sharing, but unknown.

Many here have used my $49 Comodo PositiveSSL wildcard.

• miTgiB said: Many here have used my $49 Comodo PositiveSSL wildcard.

Including me. Choose Hostigation! :-)

• People usually mention VMBox.co ($20) when talking about cheap SSL wildcard certificates.

But if you're willing to wait a couple of months, then Let's Encrypt would be a free ($0) option.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited October 2015

Oh please... not Vmbox.. to get an ssl when you need it is like having to wait for your old grandmother to walk up the stairs and she's family... you still love her hopefully. These lazy guys aren't and you get to dislike them for it and they aren't your family. I am normally not this harsh in my posts but they really have been getting on my nerves with this nonsense about it being 'free' because they make you pay for a deal in order to get it. It's not like its being shared out on the street for all to get.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • faulwurffaulwurf Member
    edited October 2015

I think this is the cheapest place: 8,99$/year for a wildcard -> http://hostmybytes.com/ssl-certificates/

edited October 2015

@Faulwurf thanks for this link, if they still honour this @vmbox isnt going to ever get a dime from me anymore because my patience has run out. @Hostmybytes are you honouring these at the moment?

@Faulwurf seems the link sends you to an order of 89.99 and not 8.99 so its a no go in terms of price. And I just thought there was hope for the world!

• faulwurffaulwurf Member
    edited October 2015

@risharde what the heck? I thought so too :(

@HostMyBytes any explanation?

• faulwurf said: @HostMyBytes any explanation?

Sorry, but we're no longer offering SSL certificates at this price. The website link will be updated.

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

@risharde said:
    Oh please... not Vmbox.. to get an ssl when you need it is like having to wait for your old grandmother to walk up the stairs and she's family... you still love her hopefully. These lazy guys aren't and you get to dislike them for it and they aren't your family. I am normally not this harsh in my posts but they really have been getting on my nerves with this nonsense about it being 'free' because they make you pay for a deal in order to get it. It's not like its being shared out on the street for all to get.

We've given out thousands of free ssls with our VPS, all usually within 24 hours, but sometimes up to ~3 days.

We treat them with low priority as they are FREE with the VPS. You are not paying for them so have no right to complain.

I'm not going to get into the personal reasons why delays with processing ssls happened this week, but you need to learn to be patient. Also calling me stupid and all the rest you called me in the other thread is not going to make me get your ssl quicker.

• VMbox said: free ssls with our VPS

Yes everything is free. The network, the ssl, the support, just the VPS costs money. The rest you give away for free because you have a kind heart.

VMbox said: Also calling me stupid and all the rest you called me in the other thread is not going to make me get your ssl quicker.

Yes why would he have a right to get what he paid for

@4n0nx said:
    Yes why would he have a right to get what he paid for

Stop talking nonsense.

He paid for a VPS and got a free wildcard SSL within 3 days. He hasn't paid for the SSL so needs to be patient to receive it.

Thanked by 2asf dynweb
  • VMbox said: Stop talking nonsense.

He paid for a VPS and got a free wildcard SSL within 3 days. He hasn't paid for the SSL so needs to be patient to receive it

Yes he totally didn't just get the VPS for the wildcard SSL.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2015

VMbox said: He hasn't paid for the SSL so needs to be patient to receive it.

You have to stop pretending that as many people would buy your VPSes, if not for the free SSL offer. Surely the purpose of that offer is to attract more customers, but what's the point if the first thing you do with all of them is piss them off by being lazy to deliver the very thing they came for, the SSL cert. So you just get more and more people around who get a very bad impression of your support and swear to not get any of your other services in the future if they can help it at all. Doesn't sound to be a good marketing strategy in the long term.

• ok then the best and cheapest Wildcards ssl are

https://www.ssl2buy.com/alphassl-wildcard.php // AlphaSSL Wildcard // $42

https://hostigation.com/?page=SSL // Comodo PositiveSSL Wildcard // $49

my question, can i use that wildcard sll on many servers? or has to be one.

@rm_ said:
    You have to stop pretending that as many people would buy your VPSes, if not for the free SSL offer. Surely the purpose of that offer is to attract more customers, but what's the point if the first thing you do with all of them is piss them off by being lazy to deliver the very thing they came for, the SSL cert. So you just get more and more people around who get a very bad impression of your support and swear to not get any of your other services in the future if they can help it at all. Doesn't sound to be a good marketing strategy in the long term.

He received it within 48 hours of requesting it, including time waiting for him to validate domain.

I wouldn't say that was unreasonable at all.

@4n0nx said:
    Yes he totally didn't just get the VPS for the wildcard SSL.

He would have bought our lowest monthly package then and not 5 yearly plans.

• dedicados said: my question, can i use that wildcard sll on many servers? or has to be one.

As many as you wish, there is no limit. I have *.hostigation.com installed on at least 40 different servers

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
    edited October 2015

@VMBox clearly it is not me alone that feels this way about the situation - we clearly have 2 different definitions of the term free.

You said that you give out free SSLs with your VPSes but in order to access a "free" ssl, you must buy a VPS. This to me implies that it isn't free - whether you split the product or not, the SSL is indeed the enticing part of your package - you are not the only provider offering VPSs (just put emotion aside for a second and think about it for your benefit and your company's benefit). Further to this, as I mentioned earlier, I was advised by one of your staff that they would prefer if I paid at least for one month of service at $3 dollars in order to get the SSL. Further implying that the SSL is not 'free' under my definition because I'm paying for something - VPS, SSL, however you want to put it - you still aren't the customer here paying for the product. To boot, I went ahead and paid for the yearly plan which was $20 dollars to NOTE BE AN ABSOLUTE CHEAPSKATE to you and your company with the intention of getting the SSL.

I don't expect you to give out the SSLs for "free" to everyone so again, technically, it isn't free - I paid for something in order to get it free - which isn't free to me.

You are the first provider I have called out as being stupid - all within a specific context. I didn't randomly call you stupid. I also called you a liar and with good reason because of what you said about not offering SSLs to LA customers (when I already have 2 from you under 2 other VPSs I have with you) - and you being owner of your company should know the rules of your own company. If I were to think any further into that response, I would say you were becoming difficult on purpose to me.

I reiterate that I would not have escalated the issue if you communicated to me in the first place properly - not a vague statement about low priority which you say while I'm here waiting on you for an INDEFINITE period - I'm your customer, I'm not asking you for a favour to respond back to me (that sounds arrogant but I'm not trying to be, you have my money which is now yours so give me what's promised). You should post the waiting period time in your ads perhaps - not just say low priority - that's like saying "soon" - its very vague. In fact, you stopped communicating with me when I asked who I was speaking with in the emails... You surely responded when you realized that I started posting here on LET for all to see which as I say, could have been avoided and also reduce the drama for you and your company.

With that being said, I clearly cannot change your mind but am appeased because I got what I wanted which was simply the SSL. I am however quite disappointed in how you treated me as a customer and this is why I chose to respond to you in a form which you did not like. I reiterate that you left me with limited choice in this matter.

You will continue to have upset customers if you continue along this road and you can see that by the posts being made by others not just by myself.

P.S I do apologize to the LET community for this long post but I thought it necessary to clear up my views on this.

Referral link: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/63626/vmbox-co-3gb-ram-100gb-ssd-cached-3tb-bw-2-ipv4-ddos-protected-free-wildcard-ssl-7-m#latest

For the sake of peace at this point in time, I'll try not to push this point more if you don't push this over and over or else we might just be running in circles.

Edit: Minor grammar and missed words

@risharde said:
    VMBox clearly it is not me alone that feels this way about the situation - we clearly have 2 different definitions of the term free.

You said that you give out free SSLs with your VPSes but in order to access a "free" ssl, you must buy a VPS. This to me implies that it isn't free - whether you split the product or not, the SSL is indeed the enticing part of your package - you are not the only provider offering VPSs (just put emotion aside for a second and think about it for your benefit and your company's benefit). Further to this, as I mentioned earlier, I was advised by one of your staff that they would prefer if I paid at least for one month of service at $3 dollars in order to get the SSL. Further implying that the SSL is not 'free' under my definition because I'm paying for something - VPS, SSL, however you want to put it - you still aren't the customer here paying for the product. To boot, I went ahead and paid for the yearly plan which was $20 dollars to NOTE BE AN ABSOLUTE CHEAPSKATE to you and your company with the intention of getting the SSL.

I don't expect you to give out the SSLs for "free" to everyone so again, technically, it isn't free - I paid for something in order to get it free - which isn't free to me.

You are the first provider I have called out as being stupid - all within a specific context. I didn't randomly call you stupid. I also called you a liar and with good reason because of what you said about not offering SSLs to LA customers (when I already have 2 from you under 2 other VPSs I have with you) - and you being owner of your company should know the rules of your own company. If I were to think any further into that response, I would say you were becoming difficult on purpose to me.

I reiterate that I would not have escalated the issue if you communicated to me in the first place properly - not a vague statement about low priority which you say while I'm here waiting on you for an INDEFINITE period - I'm your customer, I'm not asking you for a favour to respond back to me (that sounds arrogant but I'm not trying to be, you have my money which is now yours so give me what's promised). You should post the waiting period time in your ads perhaps - not just say low priority - that's like saying "soon" - its very vague. In fact, you stopped communicating with me when I asked who I was speaking with in the emails... You surely responded when you realized that I started posting here on LET for all to see which as I say, could have been avoided and also reduce the drama for you and your company.

With that being said, I clearly cannot change your mind but am appeased because I got what I wanted which was simply the SSL. I am however quite disappointed in how you treated me as a customer and this is why I chose to respond to you in a form which you did not like. I reiterate that you left me with limited choice in this matter.

You will continue to have upset customers if you continue along this road and you can see that by the posts being made by others not just by myself.

P.S I do apologize to the LET community for this long post but I thought it necessary to clear up my views on this.

Referral link: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/63626/vmbox-co-3gb-ram-100gb-ssd-cached-3tb-bw-2-ipv4-ddos-protected-free-wildcard-ssl-7-m#latest

For the sake of peace at this point in time, I'll try not to push this point more if you don't push this over and over or else we might just be running in circles.

Edit: Minor grammar and missed words

Do you think waiting 48 hours including validation time is unacceptable?

Sometimes ssls aren't sent to us by globalsign for that about of time. They aren't always instant you know?

Shall we just call it a day and refund you?

Thanked by 1dynweb

@VMBox I got the SSL, there is no need for you to refund me because I got what I paid for even though I was clearly unhappy with certain actions of you and you staff - isnt that fair? It would be unfair to ask you for a refund on something that you delivered even after all of this. Let's just call it a day.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited October 2015

I may be able to sell wildcard SSL via PM.

• I just ordered a vps from VMBox because of how @risharde was treated with respect even though he did not reciprocate. The SSL cert is just an added perk for me

• Technically the SSL isn't free, it's part of the VPS (just like ram, CPU disk space etc., except this is a bonus compared to others). But waiting 48 hours should be a fair wait time just because it requires manual submission. If you want truly free and unlimited and instant ssl, then go use startssl/wosign or lets encrypt when it's ready. It won't be a wildcard but you also won't need to wait.