Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS being hijacked - Netflix?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS being hijacked - Netflix?

jeromezajeromeza Member
edited October 2015 in Help

Hi,

I'm roaming around Europe and am currently in France at present.

Connecting via Bouygues Telecom currently but when I try and use my DNS proxy to watch Netflix I keep being told I'm in France and not the US...

I even tried connecting via OpenVPN to my LES box in Canada and seeing if this would change it, but it doesn't. I'm still picked up as French for services that use DNS to determine location.

Yet items like whatismyip.com return my Canadian IP.

What gives, is the ISP forcing their own DNS and if so how do I get around it?

EDIT: no matter what DNS I specify I see SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8) when I dig.

This is connected via VPN with my own DNS specified in Viscosity client and without / not connected to VPN.

Thanks,

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

If you acces via a tablet, kill netflix and start again.
    Using your computer? Log out and then try again

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jeromezajeromeza Member
    edited October 2015

@mikho - i've tried multiple browsers, tried to force my DNS in Viscosity client. I still see it forcing their DNS... even though all other traffic seems to be going via VPN as i've racked up over 70GB so far.

• WebRTC? as i do not have Netflix do not know if they use that leak but it is there

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-see-if-your-vpn-is-leaking-your-ip-address-and-1685180082

• jeromeza said: how do I get around it?

Use DNSCrypt with DNS servers supporting it (for example look in my signature). This way nobody can hijack your DNS queries between your DNSCrypt client and the DNSCrypt server.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • JustAMacUserJustAMacUser Member
    edited October 2015

I know you said you're specifying your own DNS server, but with VPNs it's important that the server push (or the client be preconfigured) to route DNS through the VPN. With OpenVPN this is not the default and typically requires an extra line in the config.

e: Try dnsleaktest.com

• @coolice said:
    WebRTC? as i do not have Netflix do not know if they use that leak but it is there

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-see-if-your-vpn-is-leaking-your-ip-address-and-1685180082

Netflix does not use WebRTC. I used a simple Squid proxy located on a US VPS with IPv6 only and got Netflix US served while being in Europe. If they'd use WebRTC then I would leak my real European IP and would get the corresponding Netflix version served.

@jeromeza maybe you're behind a transparent DNS proxy?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I remember it as the website checks tour location and the streaming doesn't care where you are from since the website should have done the geo location.
    Could it be that they have a sub-domain that is not configured in your dns?

• RamiRami Member
    edited October 2015

You may have something wrong in your server configuration

I can let you try mine for free as long as you want it's working just fine