Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows on LHC?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows on LHC?

Hi all,

Is if possible to run windows on a LittleHappyCloud? And if so, how would one go about doing so?

Many thanks

Comments

• You might want to try with the 1GB NL VPS (largest that LHC currently offers) and Joodle's method. However, 1 GB is really not enough for any modern version of Windows.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

1gb is well enough for a 2012 installation.

If I remember correct @AnthonySmith said no to Windows installs on LHC.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

It's the disk space that's the issue you need 20gb

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: It's the disk space that's the issue you need 20gb

No, you don't, i have it on a 4 GB ssd.

You installed 2012 from ISO, have it up to date and it actually serves a function at under 4gb (which is smaller that the ISO itself btw)?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2015

@Maounique said:
    No, you don't, i have it on a 4 GB ssd.

I know you could do this on Win2003 (even smaller with WinXP) but Win2012? Please show and tell how that was done.

I'll leave this link here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn303418.aspx

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Not specific to LHC but...

I've been trying to find a way to get Server 2008 R2 installed and patched on a 15GB drive for the past 2 days without any luck, had to upgrade to a VPS with a 20GB drive in order to get it fully patched. :(

KuJoe said: Not specific to LHC but...

I've been trying to find a way to get Server 2008 R2 installed and patched on a 15GB drive for the past 2 days without any luck, had to upgrade to a VPS with a 20GB drive in order to get it fully patched. :(

Yep that was my experience too, hence the confusion, if Mao has somehow managed to get it below 4GB which is only 12.5% of the absolute minimum requirements then I need to know how.

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Windows Server 2003/XP can be installed on a 4-5GB VPS. Windows Server 2008 R2 takes only ~7GB. So any VPS with HDD > 8GB should be fine (our KVM template is currently consuming ~7GB in space now).

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

OP, did not say Server, it came up later.
    You can cook your own ISO of 7, I got the 32 bit in a CD. It must be patched manually, no swap file during patching and aggressive removal of drivers and other caches, it does most things it has to do, but I am not sure how safe it is to be put on the net, I do not trust even server versions with that.

In total it takes some 3.2 GB together with firefox, irfanview, VLC, revo uninstaller and ccleaner. I have it as a reserve on the 4 GB SSD of an Asus EEEPC with 2 GB RAM in case I really need it because the poor sucker can't seriously run a virtualbox from the main 20 GB one for even a starter version.

oh ok, well what you talking about then, I can install windows 3.1 on 50mb hdd (probably less I actually forgot haha)

NDTN said: Windows Server 2003/XP can be installed on a 4-5GB VPS. Windows Server 2008 R2 takes only ~7GB. So any VPS with HDD > 8GB should be fine (our KVM template is currently consuming ~7GB in space now).

well yes but if your running or encouraging customers to run the 7GB default image your asking for trouble, apart from the fact it is entirely useless apart from a remote desktop its a HUGE HUGE security concern.

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Well it all depends on customer's needs. If they need the VPS just for testing/browsing then 10GB HDD should be fine if they need low cost.

@AnthonySmith said:
    oh ok, well what you talking about then, I can install windows 3.1 on 50mb hdd (probably less I actually forgot haha)

well yes but if your running or encouraging customers to run the 7GB default image your asking for trouble, apart from the fact it is entirely useless apart from a remote desktop its a HUGE HUGE security concern.

• AnthonySmith said: It's the disk space that's the issue you need 20gb

you can get it running on just under 6GB with wimboot.

edited October 2015

TarZZ92 said: you can get it running on just under 6GB with wimboot.

how do you get server 2008 R2 or 2012 running on 6gb with service packs and updates that = more than 6GB alone?

• AnthonySmith said: how do you get server 2008 R2 or 2012 running on 6gb with service packs and updates that = more than 6GB alone?

prepare it all externally. then image it. i actually came to learn of this method from windows tablets (with 16GB max storage), really is quite a clever method.