Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[URGENT] - DNS/ Nameserver issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[URGENT] - DNS/ Nameserver issue

I have my DNS server hosted at : 1.2.3.4

My domain is abc.com
I want to create child name servers ns1.abc.com and ns2.abc.com pointing to 1.2.3.4

I added child nameservers at the registrar (ResellerClub). ns1.abc.com pointing to 1.2.3.4 and ns2.abc.com pointing to 1.2.3.4

On my DNS server 1.2.3.4, i have added A records for ns1.abc.com pointing to 1.2.3.4 and ns2.abc.com pointing to 1.2.3.4

I have several sub-domains alpha.abc.com, beta.abc.com created. DNS for these are also created on 1.2.3.4

I am able to access these subdomains without issues. However, some of my clients (not all) are complaining of issues with accessing the sub-domains

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• IgniteServersIgniteServers Member
    edited October 2015

How long has it been since you changed the nameservers? Propagation takes 24-48 hours, so it might just be a waiting process.

• If it's some clients and not all, it's probably just a propagation issue. Global propagation can take a while. Try using GeoPeeker for some more detailed information.

• you can check DNS propagation here https://www.whatsmydns.net/

• WHTWHT Member
    edited October 2015

Have you created glue records? Create subdomain ns1 and ns2 and point them to the nameserver ips.

• make sure your rdns is setupped too sometimes for some non common cc TLDs it shows error. probably.

else retry clearing cache and make sure the DNS server is working fine.

• @all, thank you. Yes, the records were done more than 48 hours ago.

@WHT said:
    Have you created glue records? Create subdomain ns1 and ns2 and point them to the nameserver ips.

Can you please share mode details on the Glue Records?

• @RockBeltHOST said:
    make sure your rdns is setupped too sometimes for some non common cc TLDs it shows error. probably.

else retry clearing cache and make sure the DNS server is working fine.

Its a standard .com domain.

• @WHT said:

On my dns server 1.2.3.4, I have created A records pointing ns1.abc.com to 1.2.3.4.

Should this suffice as glue records?

• @plumberg said:
    Should this suffice as glue records?

No. There's usually some special area where you have to register name servers or create glue records. It changes depending on registrar.

• WHTWHT Member

Create subdomain ns1.abc.com and ns2.abc.com go to advanced mode and change the ips.
    Ping them after it.

• @WHT said:
    Create subdomain ns1.abc.com and ns2.abc.com go to advanced mode and change the ips.
    Ping them after it.

I did create the same already at Resellerclub

• TsuyoTsuyo Member
    edited October 2015

I've googled a bit, and it looks like those ResellerClub "child nameservers" are indeed the same thing as what every other registrar is calling DNS glue records.

Does your zone file contain the following lines:

@ NS ns1.abc.com.
    @ NS ns2.abc.com.
    ns1 1.2.3.4
    ns2 1.2.3.4
  • @Tsuyo said:
    I've googled a bit, and it looks like those ResellerClub "child nameservers" are indeed the same thing as what every other registrar is calling DNS glue records.

Does your zone file contain the following lines:

@ NS ns1.abc.com.
    > @ NS ns2.abc.com.
    > ns1 1.2.3.4
    > ns2 1.2.3.4

Hmm. let me check with my dns admin once.

• Add a second (or better, third and/or fourth) nameserver.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited October 2015

For any sort of DNS related issue you have to tell us your domain name. None of this abc.com example.com business. We can't diagnose the problem without knowing the domain in question and being able to look up the DNS records of it.

Thanked by 1Fusl
  • @DalComp said:
    Add a second (or better, third and/or fourth) nameserver.

This DNS server is hosted on a load balancer. so, as of now, there are no plans to have additional nameservers. Thanks

• care to let us have a look at your zone files, minus sensitive info, of course

• WHTWHT Member

@plumberg said:
    I did create the same already at Resellerclub

Am talking about SUBDOMAIN not name servers and child names.

• @plumberg said:
    This DNS server is hosted on a load balancer. so, as of now, there are no plans to have additional nameservers. Thanks

Try adding one regardless. I assume it is still within the same network, who knows there is even a slight problem between your client and the nameserver, which might then be cached by ISPs.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • @WHT said:
    Am talking about SUBDOMAIN not name servers and child names.

Just plain sub-domains on a web server? Is that what you are saying?

• WHTWHT Member
    edited October 2015

Yes.

Ns1.abc.com <--- point it via advanced settings in cPanel to your first ip and ns2 to the second.

• Abdussamad said: We can't diagnose the problem DDoS without knowing the domain in question

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

As the ones who can not access the sub domain to ping it and report bsck with the IP to you.
    If it matches the IP that you set it to its not a DNS problem.

• Thank you all. We added glue (NS) records. So far, the complaints have reduced. Thank you again