Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you do with a VPS that's about to be dead-pooled?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What would you do with a VPS that's about to be dead-pooled?

u4iau4ia Member
edited November 2011 in General

Let say for example you have a VPS from a provider who is zombified, such as UptimeVPS and you happen to be on a node that is still up. What would you do with your time remaining? And I don't mean back up your files, I am assuming that is already done. What is it you would do that you would not normally do with your VPS?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Honestly?

put some folding@home app on it and help clean the worlds gene pool of more shitheads those ones.

Francisco

Thanked by 4yomero tux drmike u4ia
  • yomeroyomero Member
    edited November 2011

LOL, these guys have cancer in da brain? xD

The funny comment prize for today is for... FRAN! n_n

• DoS the interpol website.

Thanked by 1u4ia
  • @Kairus said: DoS the interpol website.

ANARCHY FTW! <3

• @ksx4system said: ANARCHY FTW! <3

I was thinking more along the lines of a little surprise for Ken (UptimeVPS)!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@yomero said: The funny comment prize for today is for... FRAN! n_n

I'm pretty serious actually :)

folding@home is at least working towards something good for the world, so why not dedicate the cycles if it's going to deadpool?

Francisco

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2011

Run a Tor node, including the most liberal exit policy; https://www.torproject.org/

and also an I2P node, because while Tor sometimes is picky and doesn't seem to want much of your traffic, I2P slowly accelerates after it's been started, and then steady downloads+uploads at the maximum of what you gave to it :)
    http://www.i2p2.de/

Thanked by 1u4ia
  • bobinfobobinfo Member
    edited November 2011

A liberal tor + i2p exit node is a good idea.

A small seedbox for interesting stuff on public trackers can be good fun & much bandwidth too.

At the same time you can try to mine some bitcoins, support folding@ seti@ anything@, calculate PI, run an open SMTP servers to show your support for your local spammer club...

Well anything that pleases you.

Thanked by 1u4ia
  • Give us accounts to run tests :D

Thanked by 1u4ia
  • Everyone should run up there bandwidth and get Ken/Ash/Stephen whatever his name is today a nice big bandwidth overage bill.

Thanked by 1u4ia
  • @bobinfo said: an open SMTP servers to show your support for your local spammer club...

Maybe if you did serious spam, you will get him stuck with the datacenter for blacklisting the IPs.

• I have 2 vps with uptimevps, 1 in France 1 in Germany.
    In France OVH is down from days, but in Germany still up.

When do you think the Germany vps will be down?
    Do you have vps with uptime vps in Germany?

• Interesting ideas :)
    I still have one in Germany that is still up on de1 node. bittorrent was my first thought, perhaps run up the bandwith bill for Ken, but the folding@home idea sounds good too.

• are we really giving advice on how to abuse a vps?? Shame on you guys

• Ken has abused his customers, fairs fair.

• What I was really hoping for was to delve into the psyche of some of the members here :) I love the “what if” type questions.

• I was just wondering? Do you guys think a runner will be affected by the intent shown or will the DC's be the ones sitting with the rotten tomato at the end?

• Fran's suggestion is the best. Run something legal and productive... there's really no point in giving the DC any further headache than what they'd already be dealing with.

Thanked by 2kylix u4ia
  • I guess they won't care if he was renting the machines, they will just stop his servers if he stops paying his bills, done.

And they are probably pretty well used to abuses & that kind of crap so i'd believe that nothing could make them have a headache :)

• @Aldryic I could not agree with you more, I do understand the intent but think it's misguided? Will it affect the runner? I don't think it will.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited November 2011

@bobinfo: I doubt that. The liability for interference doesn't halt just because the DC is not the contractual partner of the client of the VPS provider.

• @VMPort said: Everyone should run up there bandwidth and get Ken/Ash/Stephen whatever his name is today a nice big bandwidth overage bill.

haha traffic in germany is unlimited tho

• How about bitcoin mining or something? Don't think you would get much on a VPS mind you, just a thought :)

Thanked by 1u4ia
  • @kylix, right but no serious 'crime' will happen with his vps anyway.. :-)

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited November 2011

folding@home is at least working towards something good for the world, so why not dedicate the cycles if it's going to deadpool?

+1 on that. That's what I used to do with those Celerons sitting at home.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Hmm.. this is the first time I've heard of folding@home seems pretty interesting, I might start it up on my spare Q6600 box.

• @VMPort said: Everyone should run up there bandwidth and get Ken/Ash/Stephen whatever his name is today a nice big bandwidth overage bill.

I don't think that's possible with the hosts their using, they just cap the port.

• Ok, here's what I did to my DowntimeVPS Xen VPS:
    Installed CPU bitcoin miner; installed rtorrent and started seeding all of the ubuntu and debian cd images :3

PROFIT!

Unfortunately it went offline after like... 20 minutes or so :< Don't know what happened.

• OVH? xD

@TheNumb said: Unfortunately it went offline after like... 20 minutes or so :< Don't know what happened.