Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ISOSMirror.com (Public/Clients-Only ISOs, apt-get, yum and samba share Mirror)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ISOSMirror.com (Public/Clients-Only ISOs, apt-get, yum and samba share Mirror)

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
edited October 2015 in General

Hello folks,

This is a new project I'll be working on, and need to gather some interest, mainly from Dedicated Server Providers / VPS Providers / Hosting Companies devoted to Devs.

The idea is to provide users a local mirror, from the same DC, which they'll be able to download ISO's images, basically, a provider orders the service, and we'll be uploading the ISO's on that local server, which will only work within the local network, and they'll also provide a VPS or Dedicated Server to be used as the mirror. The monthly fee for providers is only $10 USD, we may, not only host the ISO's, but setup the server for apt-get/yum and related repos/mirrors, all internal this for an additional fee (All ISO's will be last releases, and repos will be sync with the official public mirrors).

I'll explain where this idea came from. I've order several dedicated servers, and using IPMI, I always had to mount the ISO's from somewhere, as my upload speed isn't enough. In this case, not only we'd provide http/ftp, but as samba support as well, so the clients can mount the ISO and install it in their server/s. What about the upgrades? Sometimes they take quite a bit of time to download.

So, a local (inside the same DC) mirror, ISOS, apt-get/yum and other repos would be for an additional fee, and I think users would like it.

There'll also be public mirrors, which will be sponsored and using GeoIP to connect to the faster mirrors, for ISO/s and apt-get/yum repos. These public mirrors will display something like, for example, "buyvm.isosmirror.com", though the provider chooses if it'll be public or internal (only for clients).

I'd love to know your opinion!

Comments

• Images over windows share would be the most useful thing, most OS's already provide many mirrors for their ISO's.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Good that it's not ISIS Mirror.

The idea is dumb and you even want providers to pay you $10? and provide a free VPS/dedi?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@linuxthefish said:
    Images over windows share would be the most useful thing, most OS's already provide many mirrors for their ISO's.

That's precisely what I want to provider. Mountable windows share, within the local network only. Providers can enable their server to the public as well. I've never seen this anywhere else, although it's possible to run a netinst ISO, but again, that small ISO can take a long time to upload. In my case, with a 8 mbps upload connection, it takes a while (and I'm a privileged user, as I have a nice upload, but when I'm using other servers outside from Europe... That's a whole different story.

@rm_ said:
    Good that it's not ISIS Mirror.

The idea is dumb and you even want providers to pay you $10? and provide a free VPS/dedi?

If their servers are to be used among their clients, of course they would need to provide it for free. For a provider, it costs them next to nothing. Would you think we would order a server from that very same provider, when we're being paid only $10? I'm not sure you got the idea in full, thoigh, but I can clarify further if needed.

• Why wouldn't the provider set up such a server itself? He saves 10 bucks per month AND can guarantee that no one messes with the Iso's

@iffi said:
    Why wouldn't the provider set up such a server itself? He saves 10 bucks per month AND can guarantee that no one messes with the Iso's

Then I suggest all providers should do it.

$10 USD to manage ISO's is quite cheap. Considering that we can upload custom ISO's as well, and such. It's a guaranteed service. Is 10 bucks a month that much for a provider?

Have you seen any providers with samba shares so you can install Debian in IPMI?

• iffiiffi Member
    edited October 2015

Hosteurope, plusline, 1and1, leaseweb ..... all offer an free debian mirror with packages and Iso's to just name some german providers. Hetzner for example offers a free, intern mirror with share-folders full of isos. But thats only one....

@edit: German wiki describing this feature: http://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/LARA#Nutzen_unseres_Mirror

• Don't get me wrong, your Idea is great. But I'm not a professional hoster and that would be my first idea after offering Ipmi to my customers to provide the ISOs in my DC

edited October 2015

@iffi said:
    Hosteurope, plusline, 1and1, leaseweb ..... all offer an free debian mirror with packages and Iso's to just name some german providers. Hetzner for example offers a free, intern mirror with share-folders full of isos. But thats only one....

edit: German wiki describing this feature: http://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/LARA#Nutzen_unseres_Mirror

Got it. Well, that's a market niche I'm trying to hit! :)
    There's still room to grow, IMHO.