Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any way to "freeze" a VPS to roll back?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any way to "freeze" a VPS to roll back?

jbarrjbarr Member

I'm playing around with various configurations on an OpenVZ VPS, and there are times when I'd like to roll back to a previous state. is this possible?

Currently, my only course of action is to just reinstall the VPS and redo the configuration. It's not a big deal, but it would save some time if I could just roll back everything to a previously saved point. Suggestions?

Comments

• if you control the node use vzdump and vzrestore, very easy

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • FuslFusl Member
    edited October 2015

If you have access to the hardware node, you can create snapshots of OpenVZ containers with vzctl snapshot CTID (ploop required). Other than that, there is no perfect or not even a good way to do it from inside the container, other than rsyncing all the files over to another server or to your PC.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • I assume that I do not have access to this. It is a typical LET VPS purchased/rented from BudgetVZ.com.

• Then there is no other way of doing this, but to ask your provider if they are so kind and make a snapshot of your VPS, but they probably won't.

• No, creation/restore of snapshots or backups of a vps image, can be done only by the hosting company itself. Not by a client.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

It depends on the company. Snapshots are an option if your hosting providers allows you to create them, and then also restore from them. Similar to this:

• Run 1 click backup script

Reinstall

Run 1 click setup script

What do you mean you don't have backup and restore scripts :0

• @Awmusic12635

btw...which provider is this?...The image you attached...

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2015

@noaman said:
    Awmusic12635

btw...which provider is this?...The image you attached...

That is from our panel. www.impactvps.com