Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cups, Centos 6 and the Internet
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cups, Centos 6 and the Internet

juandmjuandm Member
edited December 2012 in Help

Hi. I have a Centos 6 server that use CUPS to print invoices, quotes, etc, but whe the ADSL get down the CUPS server stop connecting to the printers via LPD.

The ADSL gateway is a Cisco 800 series router provided by the ISP. The router is on and reachable but if no ADSL no printing.

What will be happening in the back? Centos 5 has a similar problem, but it prints, slow but prints.

Comments

• Nobody knows why cups on centos 6 32 bits hangs when the ADSL goes down?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I mean if you're connection to the printer is entirely local then I can't see why it's happening. Obviously if you're connecting to your external IP then it makes sense, but I can't imagine you wouldn't know you were doing that. Perhaps I'd consider contacting Cisco about it.

• Makes no sense, but happened two times yet. No DSL the CUPS goes crazy. And the Cisco is not working as switch. It can get fire and I am stll able to access the server but no printing.

• Is it relying on any external DNS?

• Do CUPS needs to do DNS lookups to print to a local networked printer with a fixed IP?

The server has external DNS, you know, to access the Internet. But locally everithing is refered by IP.

edited December 2012

I hate printers. If I could figure out half the unexplainable issues they cause me, my quality of life would go through the roof.

• @jarland said: I hate printers.

+1

• Why do printers just... NOT WORK?!

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2012
  • @joepie91

You clearly have a different printer than I do :)

@Cirium said: You clearly have a different printer than I do :)

Does yours stop working at 5AM or something?

• The hell still continues. When the DSL goes down the CUPS stops working and if I restart the service a connection not found error arises. I will go back to CentOS 5 this weekend to be back on peace.

• Just thinking... Can I downgrade to the version used on Centos 5.9? Or better, downgrade the entire server?