Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is online.net when it comes to hardware problems?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How is online.net when it comes to hardware problems?

Dear all,

I am thinking about moving some semi-important things to a dedicated server at online.net. I am their customer since quite some time already and generally happy with the service. But I must admit that I never had the need to contact their support because there was no reason for it.

However, I made great experiences with Hetzner concerning the replacement of faulty hardware and wonder how your experience with online.net was if something happened...

Thank you for any insight in advance!

Kind regards
Amitz

Comments

• Depends. I know somebody who had a faulty kidechire and it took several tickets to get it replaced. They blamed software configuration. Then again that's only a few euros a month. I am sure they're fine with their more expensive servers (As an example the 3815/3915)

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • Depending on the issue not bad, disks and whatnot can be set to be swapped in the panel with/without consultation.

Other hardware provided you can (or can't if its that broken) boot to rescue mode and run the diagnostics then they are pretty prompt.

On one of the promo offers they had ran out of spares but generally have a good number to hand.

• They always respond very quickly so I'd imagine hardware to be replaced quickly as well.

• @wych said:
    Depending on the issue not bad, disks and whatnot can be set to be swapped in the panel with/without consultation.

Other hardware provided you can (or can't if its that broken) boot to rescue mode and run the diagnostics then they are pretty prompt.

On one of the promo offers they had ran out of spares but generally have a good number to hand.

What kind of diagnostics programs do you run under linux to check everything is fine?

Thanks!

• rauppe31rauppe31 Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2015

Currently waiting for a HDD replacement on my Dedibox Limited 3815 since 33 hours.

Edit: It's replaced and RAID is rebuilding now

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • @rauppe31 said:
    Currently waiting for a HDD replacement on my Dedibox Limited 3815 since 33 hours.

Wow. It took Hetzner less than 20mins on a weekend...

• ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited October 2015

@Amitz said:
    Wow. It took Hetzner less than 20mins on a weekend...

You was only lucky. Nothing more. I think.. :)

They replaced my 2 euro dedicated within some hour. So well... they are okay. But i not ever got any broken server with production use. We shall see when i will use it for years :D

• I replaced my whole server with 2 clicks once. Imagine the speed of two clicks.

Usually your ticket gets assigned and replied real fast first, later replies might and do take time depending on the hardness of the task but they always were fast when a problem occurred.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2015

@ZweiTiger said:
    They replaced my 2 euro dedicated within some hour. So well... they are okay. But i not ever got any broken server with production use. We shall see when i will use it for years :D

I guess not. It seems more to be a common experience at Hetzner, than just luck...
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/63749/hetzner-i-am-impressed/p1

@rauppe31: Did they give you any explanation why it took that long?

• I had a 1115, when I was changing HW RAID mode, a HW failure happened.

Then I ticketed, they changed a disk, but cost 2 days.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • rauppe31rauppe31 Member, Host Rep

@Amitz

I don't know, but I didn't ask. I noticed the ticket was reassigned multiple times to other technicans. Could be a communication issue.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • Quite bad. After 3 weeks of denial they admitted packet lost and they changed "wires" aka ethernet cables.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

inthecloudblog said: After 3 weeks of denial they admitted packet lost and they changed "wires" aka ethernet cables.

You must admit that one would not think at a faulty cable as the reason for packet loss. It either works or not. I used to joke when people said the internet is bad that there might be some furballs clogging the cables...

• @Maounique said:

Faulty cables can cause some weird issues, particularly if they're not totally broken (E.g loose connection/poor termination), I've seen patch cables faulty straight out of the packaging although I guess that's not really surprising when thesedays all people are interested in is how cheap they can be purchased for.

Thanked by 1wych
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2015

Well, I havent had one yet to cause packet loss. Yes, not working, yes, not even fitting in the hole, but half working, this is new to me. I could understand the long ones, but in this case must be some short patches.
    I had once a sata cable causing weird errors which had me pulling hairs for a while as the computer was new, I suspected the disks (not new) or the controller, it was the cable, in the end, working through installs, causing kernel panics now and then...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Well... Now I can compare the Hetzner/Online.net performance when it comes to hardware replacements myself... ;-/

Just to remember: It took Hetzner 14mins to replace a faulty HD on a saturday evening from my report to completion of the task. Quite impressive.

Yesterday (also a saturday evening), smartmontools on one of my Online.net server reported a failing disk. I contacted their support on this, received a first reply quite promptly, but was told the following after 2 further hours:

Hello,
    I transmit issue to our hardware team, I can't guarantee you answer before Monday.
    Regards,
    XXXXX

Just to be clear:
    I am okay with that. I know what to expect at those low prices. So this is not a rant. Just some interesting detail when I have to decide between Hetzner and Online.net again.

• @Amitz yeah I pay for "business" SLA and have had the network team leave a production box off all weekend with very little justification.

Also just been told to get an outsourcing team when I asked why dibbler is up and down like a yoyo again.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • @wych: Wow, well that is disappointing. I thought those extra SLAs would make them fly, but obviously not. I guess I will stick with Hetzner in future when I need a cheap reliable dedicated server in the EU.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2015

double post

• Took 3 weeks to fix my server it was keep going offline and they told it's soft issue but it even turn off on rescue mode. so they just replaced dedi after 3 weeks telling in ticket it's hardware fault.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited October 2015

I got two failure.

1, First was a 2 euro dedicated server. I said its reboot every 2 day and not stable so i requested to replace it completly. After 6 hour its replaced and got a workig 2 euro dedicated. Great!

2, My Production Shared Hosting server got disk failure. Well the server went offline for minutes. Then i started it and worked with 1 disk. I opened a ticket and after 3-4 hour the y replaced my disk. Total downtime was 35 minutes. Not so bad.. but uptime was 202 day.

So i am really happy about their service , about their replacement. I will buy more.

(Basic Support)

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Has anyone problems with their ssd servers?
    I'm going to refresh my old ovh servers with online.net start range.
    ovh is pretty stable.

• Seems mixed. Ran some of their storage servers a few years ago. And yeah on disk replacements they are within the hour. Anything else your fucked.

• @TropiThomas said:
    And yeah on disk replacements they are within the hour.

Well, not in my case... ;-)

• @Amitz said:

Haha well just looked back. Couple took a few hours but never higher than 6, however I can't remember them must have been Ollie who broke them.

• It's 18 hours now and I am quite sure that nothing at all will happen before Monday.

• @Amitz said:
    It's 18 hours now and I am quite sure that nothing at all will happen before Monday.

They all stuck in contra-flow with 30 bashed Peugeots in front of them

Thanked by 3Amitz hawc vimalware
  • haha!

• Last week I realized that my ESXi test vm had terrible dd results. Trying to find the reason, I had to go through a lot of Google search results. I was trying ESXi for the first time and I was a newbie to virtualization world.

Anyway, I didn't leave any stones unturned but in the end I realized I had a faulty raid card. Never using raid before, I never suspected that and before ESXi, proxmox was running just fine with superior results.

Anyway, turns out my raid card somehow had no caching board on it. I reported this on Saturday and late Monday night they replaced it, I didn't even notice.

They are not the kind of support that will fix your server in the middle of night on a weekend and I am not expecting that from them either. But, whatever ticket I had to submit most of the time they were fast and helpful. Oh, BTW once when I got a new server I stumbled upon a page that claimed I have a hardware problem. I could've opened a ticket or replace the server. Seconds later I had another server.

TL, DR;

They are not lightning fast, but they operate in a tolerable time zone and most importantly they are always helpful.

• @ZweiTiger said:
    I got two failure.

1, First was a 2 euro dedicated server. I said its reboot every 2 day and not stable so i requested to replace it completly. After 6 hour its replaced and got a workig 2 euro dedicated. Great!

2, My Production Shared Hosting server got disk failure. Well the server went offline for minutes. Then i started it and worked with 1 disk. I opened a ticket and after 3-4 hour the y replaced my disk. Total downtime was 35 minutes. Not so bad.. but uptime was 202 day.

So i am really happy about their service , about their replacement. I will buy more.

(Basic Support)

This guy has been great to work with. BTW, buy some more as I'll be needing at least one or two of those ones you know ;)

Thanked by 1ZweiTiger