Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how many wordpress site I can run in 128mb ram + 128 vswap lowend vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how many wordpress site I can run in 128mb ram + 128 vswap lowend vps

As title says, recently I bought a lowend vps for learning purpose. It has 128 Ram + 128 vswap space , on top of openvz and its hard disk space is 10GB .

By considering RAM how many wordpress site I can run regularly on that vps? Thanks in advanced .

Comments

• Depends on traffic and what plugins etc you have, and how far you take the optimizations.

Thanked by 1ali71
  • I am thinking to use it as a demo server. So, I will show demo of a new site to someone. Traffic may not be more then 20 Per day.

But one of my great curiosity is on how can I calculate this? Thanks @wych

• It depends on the webserver, too (I suggest nginx)

• Yes, I am using nginx and hhvm for better performance. @Geekoine

• if not too many plugins or heavy themes and optimized properly, more than a couple of sites, as long as the combined concurrent visitors count of all sites doesnt exceed 15-20 people.

• noamannoaman Member
    edited September 2015

Depends on traffic...Installing wp total cache and installing APC can highly improve speed also
    Apache is too memory consuming for a 128mb
    try other webservers....

@geekoine
    +1 for nginx

Thanked by 1ali71
  • OP you can never calculate it due to varying load...However you could set up cron jobs to send you an email for load usage hitting dangerous level like 90-95%.And there it would be your llimit...when the first email arrives :-)

• The RAM is too low for HHVM, I guess.

• But hhvm seems running good in my server. Till now 105mb swap used + 28% ram consumed without any running wordpress installation.

• The answer is approximately zero. Go ahead and simply try to install the full stack needed to run a minimal WP site. Getting everything up and running is going to quickly suck up that small amount of RAM.

With 256MB, you'll have the head room needed to run 1 site. Barely. Everything above that, though, becomes icing on the cake.

• WHTWHT Member
    edited September 2015

You could install wordpress but you could not run it well. Only the cron will eat your memory. Then comming users, load, backup. Dont do it.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • The keyword is optimization. :)

• I've successfully run 2 low volume WordPress sites on a 128 MB OVZ instance. Nginx + PHP-FPM with some really tight memory limits and very few WordPrees plugins.

Anything with moderate volume or lots of plugins is going to be rough. But few smaller sites should be doable.

Thanked by 1ali71
  • I have a 128mb (no swap) nat vps from lowendspirit, using it as a dev site. Installed with nginx + php-fpm + mysql and currently hosting 1 wordpress site (with zencache plugin, very fast) for demo purpose (similar case with yours).

Current RAM usage: 6%, cached included 94%

• 128mb seem too little for wordpress. even with optimization and nginx 128mb can barely make it for wordpress. yes it will work but i dont think its a good idea for long run.

• I've done a minimal Wordpress install on a 64MB, worked just fine. If you start loading up on plugins you're going to struggle, but if you're going fairly vanilla in terms of the install you'll be just fine, especially with the minimal traffic you're talking about.

LEA would be turning in his metaphorical grave.

• @Nekki said:
    I've done a minimal Wordpress install on a 64MB, worked just fine.

When did you do that? Because the software has bloated over time, and there's even some extra overhead to worry about if you go with a 64-bit OS. Every little negligible thing at 1+GB RAM suddenly becomes a showstopper if you're trying to put it on a box as small as 128MB, never mind even smaller than that.

• sinsin Member
    edited September 2015

I'm running a few Wordpress installs off of Ramnode's 128mb plan - the key for me was making sure to use a cache plugin that generates static pages (like Supercache or W3TC) so that way php-fpm isn't called and nginx uses very little memory. When you take PHP out of the picture (should only be called when you're in wp-admin or when cache is being preloaded so you can set it to ondemand as visitors will only be hitting your static pages) and you slim down your mysql/mariadb install then you can actually run Wordpress installs really well on very little memory and cpu usage.

The only plugins I really use are: Supercache or W3TC, Yoast, and Askimet.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • My 128MB VPS worked well with mysql + nginx/lighttpd and 3 wordpress sites. (OpenVZ) Even postfix and dovecot in addition :D

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

impossiblystupid said: The answer is approximately zero. Go ahead and simply try to install the full stack needed to run a minimal WP site. Getting everything up and running is going to quickly suck up that small amount of RAM.

With 256MB, you'll have the head room needed to run 1 site. Barely. Everything above that, though, becomes icing on the cake.

impossiblystupid said: When did you do that? Because the software has bloated over time, and there's even some extra overhead to worry about if you go with a 64-bit OS. Every little negligible thing at 1+GB RAM suddenly becomes a showstopper if you're trying to put it on a box as small as 128MB, never mind even smaller than that.

When did you learn to optimise servers? And how? I've been able to run WP in 128MB RAM just fine.

• impossiblystupid said: When did you do that? Because the software has bloated over time, and there's even some extra overhead to worry about if you go with a 64-bit OS. Every little negligible thing at 1+GB RAM suddenly becomes a showstopper if you're trying to put it on a box as small as 128MB, never mind even smaller than that.

Maybe a year ago, if that? If I can find anyone doing 64MB box I'd gladly give it another go to prove it's still possible.

• @impossiblystupid said:
    When did you do that? Because the software has bloated over time, and there's even some extra overhead to worry about if you go with a 64-bit OS.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I'm running two WordPress sites on a 128 MB OpenVZ right now. Both have 1-2 plugins. Free memory at any given point in time is about 35 MB. Nginx, PHP-FPM, MySQL with MyISAM engine; all running on Debian Wheezy 64-bit.

Low volume sites aren't really a problem if one optimizes the server well.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • @MrGeneral said:

When did you learn to optimise servers?

When did the subject morph to server optimization? There is certainly some low hanging fruit you can go after to slim things down, but the OP said the purpose of the server was to demo WP sites, not to spend hours fiddling with the server configuration to get the tuning just right to overcome the limited RAM.

Or, to put it another way, I learned to optimize servers when I looked at my check book and saw that I can buy more resources for a year at the same cost as screwing around with configuration setting for 15 minutes. So, yeah, if someone really is interested in that side of server management, there are plenty of ways to dig deep. It's not up to you or me to figure out if it's worth the bother to that person, though.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • using easyengine i ran 4 without too much trouble(I have btsync also that eats up resource).

• You can try Monkey server as web server. There is a script to install and run Monkey with PHP there on LET (search for Monkey.sh)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Funboy of Douglas, too?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

impossiblystupid said: When did the subject morph to server optimization? There is certainly some low hanging fruit you can go after to slim things down, but the OP said the purpose of the server was to demo WP sites, not to spend hours fiddling with the server configuration to get the tuning just right to overcome the limited RAM.

Or, to put it another way, I learned to optimize servers when I looked at my check book and saw that I can buy more resources for a year at the same cost as screwing around with configuration setting for 15 minutes. So, yeah, if someone really is interested in that side of server management, there are plenty of ways to dig deep. It's not up to you or me to figure out if it's worth the bother to that person, though.

nginx + php-fom + mariadb, and you'll be able to run demo WP websites just fine. There's no need to tweak, if you're using mariadb.

Thanked by 1impossiblystupid
  • AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited October 2015

I have gappiness.com running in a 128mb ram ovz VPS. Free -m output:

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           128         27        100          0          0         22
    -/+ buffers/cache:          5        122
    Swap:           64         29         34

I don't know why it's using swap even though main memory is free.

It's running mysql, nginx, php-fpm and of course WP.

You have to understand people everywhere are running WP on shared hosting. You get even fewer resources there than a VPS.