Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts needed on new uptime project
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Thoughts needed on new uptime project

24khost24khost Member
edited December 2012 in General

Okay so I bought vpsupti.me and want to have a monitoring platform. I first want to develop it for my clients and then release it to the public.

Not wanting to invade on any of my clients privacy and allowing them to make the decision themselves. I want to give them a monitoring system that they will have to install.

The question is ssh or ftp? I want to use a system that doesn't use a webserver what are your suggestions.

Comments

• SSH

• Well my only concern is security. Not that I am worried about it getting hacked but my thought is incase someone was to for who knows what reason use thier root username and password that it could be bad. And ftp would shrink that problem.

Any other Idea's on how to do it with out a webserver?

• Have the installed system create a user that is used to send data via ssh to the remote monitoring system.

• FTP? You mean people having to install an FTP server on their servers?

• Good thought!!

• more of them ftping to my server and uploading the xml every so often.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Don't use FTP, it's evil.

Just set up a simple API on your own webserver that the monitoring daemon can report to. Hell, you could even run a custom persistent daemon to do so.

• Why not use snmp? It's meant specifically for what you are looking for.

• I think I may be going overboard. When I think about it all the other information is available via the regular control panel. Maybe I will just make it and uptime monitor.