Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is 100mbps actually enough?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is 100mbps actually enough?

Doesn't this basicly mean that all users who access your site can only get a total of 12,5mB per second? That's quite low for when using some scripts or offer some downloads already.

Comments

• For those who don't offer downloads, it's enough.

• Right, if you offer larges files to download & your users have fast connections and there are several concurrent downloads you might use more. But as websites often have mostly small files (images, css, html pages...) the download time is really fast (few ms) so there is room for concurrent connexions.

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

Concurrent traffic of 12.5MB/s yes so if one of your users had a 100Mb/s+ connection and they were downloading from your site then it wouldn't leave a lot of room for others to download also at a decent speed.

• Faster is always better!

• If you are running a download site for files with a loads of connections by users then 100 Mbit/s is surely not enough. You may want want to look into the 1 - 10 Gbit/s segments. They cost a lot more though. Getting an unmetered 1 Gbit/s is possible but I'm not sure how much that would be for a 10 Gbit/s per month.

If you however don't offer downloads and just host your sites 100 Mbit/s is enough to handle quite an decent amount of visitors and traffic.

• emreemre Member, LIR

100Mbps is not enough, Demand 100Gbps For your VPS from your Provider and not shared please.

Only enough for your wordpress site.

Thank you.

• Don't forget that the bandwidth will be divided among users, so at worse at peak ours your users will experience that the downloads are a bit slower. If you see that it's getting problematic you can either upgrade to > 100Mbs or share the load across a few machines.

What's your project?

• my project will be a VPS host with teamspeak of around 50 users, and a fully featured website with news, advanced shoutbox, forum etc. i do want to offer some smaller downloads like high-res images of games in a gallery. i dont want the site to feel slow at any time. we might also have around 20-30 users online on site at the same time.

• A question too guys...

Does 100mbps port speed is good for game server with 500 players connected?

• @jhakeofshit said:
    A question too guys...

Does 100mbps port speed is good for game server with 500 players connected?

Depends on the game...

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Run external backups with 100Mbps is a shit.

• If you're a file host serving large files to end users, mirroring or load balancing should be minimum. You can also do queue system if the service is free.

• @wych said:
    Depends on the game...

Deathmatch Tetris

• We don't even deploy servers with 100Mbps anymore, most decent broadband connections can saturate that. So you only need a couple of decently connected visitors and your connection is already maxed.

In the Western world (NA/EU) baseline servers these days are 1Gbps, options for 10GE/40GE are relatively common place now.

This year we have seen a surge in customers wanting 10GE/40GE ports if only to give them headroom in case of attack or flashcrowd downloading content.

• QoS the connection you have.

Set download speed max at 128kB should be fair enough for HTTP connection.

Enable GZip for compressed HTTP connections.

Or use cloudclare CDN to cache your HTTP sites.

• @MarkTurner said:
    We don't even deploy servers with 100Mbps anymore, most decent broadband connections can saturate that. So you only need a couple of decently connected visitors and your connection is already maxed.

In the Western world (NA/EU) baseline servers these days are 1Gbps, options for 10GE/40GE are relatively common place now.

This year we have seen a surge in customers wanting 10GE/40GE ports if only to give them headroom in case of attack or flashcrowd downloading content.

And you end up providing 5-10 TB…

• inthecloudblog said: And you end up providing 5-10 TB…

????

• @MarkTurner said:

Your offers are 1gbit unmetered? I may be wrong

• inthecloudblog said: Your offers are 1gbit unmetered? I may be wrong

By default 1GE + metered allowance. You can get unmetered but its well outside of LET pricing.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @borgqueenx said:
    my project will be a ...

My gut suggests that would be perfectly fine if you limit the bandwidth available to the downloads so that a couple of people dragging content (particularly large content, such as high res video, large game patches, etc) from there on fast connections don't saturate the link and push your latency through the roof (which will affect the gamers negatively), but I have no real recent experience of hosting online games to take my thoughts with a truckload of salt.

Is there any way you could simulate the traffic of that many users to a VM on your local network, limiting the link speed to 100mbit, and see how it responds?

Also remember that on a VPS unless you explicitly get dedicated 100mbps you will be sharing that bandwith potentially with many other hosts. Even if you get a 1Gbps uplink if shared could be quite slow if it is share with many active hosts (or a few very active hosts).

• 100 mbit/s should be totally fine for you.