Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoftEther query
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SoftEther query

I've installed SoftEther on a Hetzner server (windows 2012) I use for plexpy, I've connected my laptop (client) to the vpn and get a response from the DHCP IP of the server SoftEther is running on, I can also access the server via \ip in run.

I Have PlexPy running on localhost:8989 on the server. How would I go about connecting to PlexPy via the vpn? I've tried localhost:8989 and 127.0.0.1:8989 however get connection refused. I don't want PlexPy public facing or I would just open it on firewall.

I've got SoftEther setup with SecureNAT and DHCP.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• With SoftEther localhost is usually still you --> your own computer. SoftEther has given you a IP over DHCP (I guess something like the private 10.0.0.0 range?). You have to connect to the IP address of your SoftEther VPN host (maybe 10.0.0.1). I don't know your setup so I can only guess the IPs.

• As much as I remember you get an IP from 192.168.0.0 subnet. Your server will be 192.168.0.1 in that case. So instead of using localhost or 127.0.0.1, you should type 192.168.0.1:8989. Of course, that's only when you're in the VPN.

Localhost and 127.0.0.1 means your own computer.

• Gerrard8Gerrard8 Member
    edited September 2015

I've tried it with 192.168.30.1 (Server IP within VPN) and 192.168.30.10 (DCHP assigned to laptop)

I would assume it would be 192.168.30.1:8989 but it just times out in the browser.

EDIT: I've just tried rdp'ing to 192.168.30.1 and it timed out.

• NomadNomad Member
    edited September 2015

Check your windows machine firewall.
    Try disabling it and accessing.

If not, might be a drawback of using SecureNAT as well.

I never had trouble locally accessing services like Plex when I connected to Softether using Dnsmasq on a Linux machine.

• Still times out with windows firewall disabled :(

• @Gerrard8 said:
    I've tried it with 192.168.30.1 (Server IP within VPN) and 192.168.30.10 (DCHP assigned to laptop)

I would assume it would be 192.168.30.1:8989 but it just times out in the browser.

EDIT: I've just tried rdp'ing to 192.168.30.1 and it timed out.

Make sure it really is that address. Check the network adapters with "ipconfig /all" on your Windows Server 2012 machine. You should see the IP there.

As Nomad mentioned make sure the firewall isn't the issue.

• Gerrard8Gerrard8 Member
    edited September 2015

Ethernet adapter VPN - VPN Client:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VPN Client Adapter - VPN
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-AC-85-55-EE-8C
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::785c:6d2d:c8b5:a5d8%20(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.30.10(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 27 September 2015 17:30:43
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 27 September 2015 19:30:43
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.30.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.30.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 637578373
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1C-FB-D9-1C-20-89-84-B3-38-C7

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.30.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Thinking maybe it could be to do with IPV6?

• Disabled IPv6 didn't make a difference.

• Is Plex on the server configured to listen on the SoftEther IP address? If not that might be the issue.

• @Hidden_Refuge said:
    Is Plex on the server configured to listen on the SoftEther IP address? If not that might be the issue.

Nope it's on a different server. I've just tried connecting to Sonarr as well which runs on a different port on the server and that also times out.

• wait... so Plex is on a different server to the SE VPN server? is plex server connected to the SE VPN as well?

• edited September 2015

To be honest, a Plex installation isn't really important enough to put behind a VPN instead of public facing tbh... nobody is really gonna want to bruteforce in to watch a few "legitimate" movies.. it just makes your own life harder

nvm.. just googled up on what PlexPy is... consider me enlightened

Thanked by 1netomx
  • There's something wrong with your machine if not SecureNAT.

You can't access any of your services.
    Either firewall is preventing stuff or SecureNAT doesn't let you through.

And you with SecureNAT you don't even have IPv6, why bother disabling?

• I've just tested it with a couple of online.net servers I have laying idle with Windows on, installed softether and setup htpc manager on them running port 8085.

On everyone of them once I was connected I couldn't access htpc manager via the VPN, I'm probably missing something. Oh well thanks for your help lads :-)