Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the current view on iwStack?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the current view on iwStack?

As the title says, just looking for some feedback on how that service is doing for you.

Comments

• Tag on this thread, since I left iwStack around 9-10 months ago, using Hetzner servers instead. Stayed clear of the big issues they had right after I left. But, dedicated servers cost lots more for my use, so looking to maybe return. So this thread is perfect.

• emdademdad Member
    edited September 2015

they brought new SSD lineup with lower cost, so that's good.... but no active instance atm there... so can't comment on service

• Good for production use

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • I am looking to use it for production hence why I wanted some feedback. Used them in the past and all was fine. Not a great fan of the panel however I guess sufficient time has passed that they have the issues ironed out in the main.

Probably where the quarterly polls are going to give out some useful info again but @jar has this in hand for next week.

• I'm leaving them shortly because of outages and bad support with a production site. I'm using their largest instance and another smaller one, yet support was as if I was spending $4/mo with them. Great value for dev boxes, etc, but I will not use them for production in future.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • squibs said: 'm leaving them shortly

Useful thanks. What outages have been having?

• Interested as well.

• Unfortunately for an acquitance using the biggest Dallas instances, the network connectivity has been buggy.

Sometimes, the server has packet loss.

Sometimes they must reset the firewall rules to get network connectivity again.

The support is slow and hasn't acknowledged these issues and they say everything is going well.

Despite that, I still have some credit there, and maybe I would consider their low priced instances for some not so serious projects.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • Various outages, instance forced shutdown (damaging database) and moved without notice, snapshots stopped working leaving me exposed for weeks, and currently experiencing random reboots which have the hallmarks of a hardware issue.

I've just had a private message asking for incident numbers, but it is too late now - the move is underway.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • Their Infrastructure page -http://iwstack.com/iwstack-infrastructure.php - always bothered me.

Blank lines in their "infrastructure details". Must've been that way since many years. Could at least delete that whole section.

• Thanks all, I was hopeful however the lack of people jumping to Prometeus's side which I always expect on their behalf and the comments above, I will look elsewhere.

• Maybe take a look at flexcloud/cloudflow from seflow. Running some production stuff there without any problem. Also I thing @zweitiger is running some stuff there.

• I have one normal KVM VPS in Italy and it's been totally fine. It's not iwstack though, just a regular Prometeus KVM VPS.

• I have been using it stack in Italy for a while now, and have had no problem with it. Uptime is good, accept the big blackout. But other then that, all is OK. Support is speedy, but that maybe because I live in the same time zone.

• Frecyboy said: Maybe take a look at flexcloud/cloudflow from seflow.

I have, not sure about it, their site confuses me :)

• I use a couple of small instances for icecast streaming and airtime installation since almost a year and it is very stable till now. I use their Milano DC with the old KVM infrastructure. Besides their blackout, all is fine.
    I occasionally use small or bigger instances for certain jobs (from occasional video streaming to deploying a desktop for several tasks) and all went again smoothly.
    So, I'm happy with IWstack.
    As of Seflow, I use a small instance for an icecast server and it also works great.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2015

IWStack is stable for months, since we moved to ceph on the KVM zone, half a year or so.
    Dallas has not been moved since the demand is low and there were no problems.
    Some people notice the issues with the network there, but Dallas is not the same as with Milano, it has no failover as it has local ssd and only one security group, so, everyone must understand that without maintaining the firewall rules, they will revert to default in case of new VMs, template deployment, etc.
    Some people find the panel quite complicated and it is, if you do not need the features, you should be using regular VPSes instead, IWStack is complicated because of so many extra features it has, not because we like the bloat. If you do not need those features, we are launching a new OVZ service for pro usage which is great for hosting, bigger and cheaper VMs than the Biz line which will continue to be the top range apart from our core business.
    We also launched simpliffied zones in Milano, you can do all you need from the integrated panel in the whmcs, it is cheaper and has local ssd, for those people which like hourly billing a la DO but not need the advanced features. Everyone should be happy.
    As for unscheduled migration, this is not something which can be announced, the orchestrator is balancing the load or decides to move out of a faulty node, this is the point of fail-over, to be automatic, not something that can be announced.

jvnadr said: I use their Milano DC with the old KVM infrastructure

There are no more VMs left on the old infrastructure since some months, they kept being moved silently for a few months in order to avoid downtime or load, now everyone is on the new system, ubuntu instead of centos, ceph instead of clvm and smaller cluster with more waste, but better stability and isolation in case of a problem (none since moving, but you may never know).
    At this time, if we count the last 6 months, there was no downtime on iwstack, which is better than amazon, for the same time and it was always better than azure, even with the issues we had last winter, beginning of spring.

Packet loss in Dallas can happen for longer than in Milano where should not be noticeable (unless you are on a DDoS mitigated network permanently which comes with some issues as everywhere) because we do not have our DDoS mitigation system there, it takes way more time to detect and mitigate it, it is not automatic.

Thanked by 2Francisco Geekoine

@smallet said:
    Their Infrastructure page -http://iwstack.com/iwstack-infrastructure.php - always bothered me.

Blank lines in their "infrastructure details". Must've been that way since many years. Could at least delete that whole section.

We keep hoping one day we will have a stable number of zones and nodes, the details were removed since DC2 was launched, it became too complicated to add info about a whole new other setup and new SAN, different NFS setup, etc, removing the section might be a good idea, thanks.

• I have a production site on Iwstack old KVM zone since last 2 years and is doing fine. One or two times there were minor downtime (when their DC had some issue) otherwise stable definitely recommend them.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • I have had several VPS with them for months now and they have been performing very well as both has a great uptime. I can share some data with you if you want @Lee.

Their old KVM infrastructure did have some issues, though. That included boxes running Ubuntu not coming online again but being stuck in the bootloader. This has been resolved on their new KVM nodes, though.

Also, Prometeus' advice is to run anything production on their Xen zone as it's more stable than the KVM zone.

Thanked by 1Maounique
    edited September 2015

@mpkossen said:
    I have had several VPS with them for months now and they have been performing very well as both has a great uptime. I can share some data with you if you want Lee.

Their old KVM infrastructure did have some issues, though. That included boxes running Ubuntu not coming online again but being stuck in the bootloader. This has been resolved on their new KVM nodes, though.

Also, Prometeus' advice is to run anything production on their Xen zone as it's more stable than the KVM zone.

XenServer is not for everyone, we presume people which run business apps know how to admin it and understand the templating and the necessity of xentools. So far, most did.
    Now, with the update of the KVM zone too, it did not falter yet, but, yes, Xen never did, outages in february were exclusively DC issues (fibercut and blackout).

• CC should hire @Mao to do their PR.

@Nekki said:
    CC should hire Mao to do their PR.

I don't do things I don't believe in, I left my old job for this reason, mainly.

Thanked by 2Nekki J1021
  • @Maounique said:
    I don't do things I don't believe in, I left my old job for this reason, mainly.

Shots fired!

edited September 2015

@mpkossen said:
    Shots fired!

Nothing implied, just I don't do PR here or in general, only keeping people informed, as always, my job is not PR, but support and technical jobs, I don't think there are many people here knowing more than I do about products from prometeus, I help in other cases, such as with people needing info about colo in voxility and they dont pay me a dime. I did that before it was cool, when people such as William were, as every westerner which is lead by propaganda and TV, biased against them and everything romanian for that matter, including RDS, I just set things straight and combat legends and propaganda because I have first hand info in some cases and second hand in others from trusted people I know.
    Lee and many people wanted to know things about iwstack, only the newsletter is not enough, so I took the job of explaining.
    Speaking of newsletter, expect one soon, at least the SSD plans with iwstack in Italy should be interesting :)

• I should really know better than to expect a joke to be taken as a joke.

Thanked by 2Lee wych

I use jokes to tell the truth,maybe we are different :)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Maounique said:
    I use jokes to tell the truth,maybe we are different :)

I've never found the truth to be particularly amusing.

Nekki said: I've never found the truth to be particularly amusing.

You are wrong, the best jokers cannot invent the collection of jokes that makes up reality.

Thanked by 1vimalware