Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On which VPS virtualization i can resize SWAP/set my own SWAP size?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

On which VPS virtualization i can resize SWAP/set my own SWAP size?

postcdpostcd Member
edited September 2015 in Help

Hello,

i like one 512MB RAM VPS, it has fast HDD and im thinking if i can use lets say 2Gb of the HDD as an RAM, i mean so my webserver i install can fluently use HDD as RAM when RAM is exhausted. As 512MB ram is little and i dont wish to buy more expensive plan.
Can any Linux and any virtualization be used the way that HDD serves as additional RAM for an Nginx webserver? Is there any keywords i can put into google in order to find some guide on this please?

Thank you

Comments

• I think anything but OpenVZ. KVM, Xen, VMWare all are fine.

• OpenVZ and KVM/XEN

• @postcd why not make this request before order so that it can be customized for you? less headache...............

• @IgniteServers said:
    OpenVZ and KVM/XEN

Wow... Just ehm. No words.

You can't add Swap yourself in OpenVZ nor resize existing vSwap.

• This is called SWAP.

• Ignore the comment about OpenVZ, you can't set this yourself. In fact, OpenVZ doesn't even have real swap, hence vSwap.

This is certainly possible on a KVM VPS. You configure your own partitions on install in most cases, as you would on a dedicated server.

Thanked by 1manlivo
  • OpenVZ in fact has VSwap you can enable it yourself but its not automatic.

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited September 2015

@IgniteServers said:
    OpenVZ in fact has VSwap you can enable it yourself but its not automatic.

Can you make a tutorial on how I can enable vswap on openvz from the clients' side?

Edit, since you know the fact that OpenVZ doesn't have swap but only VSwap, might wanna write that in your next offer post. Writing swap in a OpenVZ offer post just make you sound clueless. Just my 2.1 cents.

• @IgniteServers said:
    OpenVZ in fact has VSwap you can enable it yourself but its not automatic.

Right.. And you let your clients have access to your node to enable it... Lol

vSwap is artificially throttled RAM or if the hostnode ran out of RAM it's in the Swap.

You as a client have no way to enable it or resize it.

• He is not a client, he is asking if he can enable it, the answer is yes he can.

"On which VPS virtualization i can resize SWAP/set my own SWAP size?"

Was the question.

• @IgniteServers said:
    He is not a client, he is asking if he can enable it, the answer is yes he can.

Was the question.

The question was how can HE enable/resize it, NOT YOU. He even talked about using HDD for swap and that is clearly a difference between OpenVZ's VSwap (which uses RAM).

• postcdpostcd Member
    edited September 2015

Here might be some way to fake SWAP in OpenVZ, anyone tested?
    https://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&th=5428&goto=27264&S=e0732807ff448e585b635d56d193bc4a#msg_27264

And this is vSWAP manual page from OpenVZ: https://openvz.org/VSwap

• @postcd said:
    Here might be some way to fake SWAP in OpenVZ, anyone tested?

Not sure if this is the same, but people are saying against it. I personally wouldn't think it would work either.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/45234/easy-shell-script-create-virtual-swap-file-for-openvz-vps

• @IgniteServers said:
    He is not a client, he is asking if he can enable it, the answer is yes he can.

Was the question.

And how do you know he is not a client? Did the sentence you quoted tell you so much that you just have know?

Read his post atleast. He has a VPS with 512 MB RAM, a fast disk and needs more RAM. He does NOT WANT TO PAY more to get more RAM on HIS VPS PLAN.

If he is not a client... I'm Chief Keef then. Don't try to outsmart people who know the ledge. You have no option to enable vSwap or resize it as a client on a OpenVZ VPS.

I operate a OpenVZ node and own OpenVZ VPSs for years now... You just need bandz and opened a business but you don't know the ledge.

• If you are going to rely on swap for 80% of your RAM be prepared for terrible performance followed by getting shut down for IO abuse...