Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tutorial - Control your LEB buying habits (or at least, the costs incurred by them)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tutorial - Control your LEB buying habits (or at least, the costs incurred by them)

0xdragon0xdragon Member
edited September 2015 in Tutorials

Hey guys!

I'm sure there are a few of you that might start to think that they have a problem with their spending habits on LEBs. Probably because it's so easy to forget about that yearly VPS that you bought 2 months ago, and buy a new one that you don't really need because it was a "good deal". If you have personal (read: no money made from them, or services that are critical running) VPSs idling that are costing you in excess of $xx/mth, then I'm sorry- you have a problem.

Mitigating the issue:

Have you ever thought of what the money spent on LEBs could buy you? It's quite a lot, really.

Have a server jar. Like a swear jar, the server jar is for placing money into whenever you feel tempted to buy a server. Of course, the best way to do this is by depositing into a bank account. Pay the money for your (self-induced) offense by opening a small savings bank account (usually near-instant at your local bank) and depositing the money you would have spent on the LEB into that account. Feeling the urge to buy an LEB? Get the exact amount that you were going to spend, and put it straight into that account. Seriously, look at it after a month. You could buy something physical with that money, or continue this exercise until you have enough to reach a goal (for instance, a new smartphone or money for a rainy day). Think about the enjoyment that the item might bring you in terms of hours. The VPS will probably keep you entertained for half an hour as you run a DD and network test, post to LET and then grin to yourself, but the item you purchase might give you a lot more enjoyment. The money might even save you in a tight situation in the future. Consider that.

Consider setting yourself a budget:

It's hard to keep track of all of your server costs. $xx.99 here, $x.73 and $x.48 there can get very large very quickly. Consider getting yourself a debit card and putting an $xx amount of money on it per month. Keep that value static.

My personal recommendation would be Revolut (trigger warning- referral link, if you want, otherwise you can Google them: https ://revolut.com/r/alexanxb - join the two parts) as you also get a physical card, and excellent exchange rates (which saves us Aussies quite a bit of money,thanks Tony Abbot! /s) to use, but there are plenty of services. Your bank probably even offers sub accounts themselves. Use them over anything else. But for the sake of information; there are also Neteller and Entropy.

The value of money very much depends on how much you have of it. Every dollar counts, and this small pile of money that you save could be hugely beneficial in your future, or just buy you something nice.

Forget those get rich quick schemes. You want to get rich? Stop spending money on things you don't need.

(Please note: I am by all means a huge lover of the lowend* spirit, and that means, buy a great deal for all you want, just consider the alternative!)

Consider this, and be honest
  1. How much do you spend a month on idling LEBs?99 votes
    1. About $1 USD a month
      31.31%
    2. More than $10 USD a month
      44.44%
    3. More than $50 USD a month
        8.08%
    4. More than $100 USD a month
      16.16%
  2. Why?99 votes
    1. It was a good deal...
      62.63%
    2. I forgot about that other VPS...
        6.06%
    3. I have no idea...
      19.19%
    4. Oh, so that's what I bought while intoxicated.
      12.12%

Comments

• Shhhhh, let people get their LEB fixes in peace!

0xdragon said: You want to get rich? Stop spending money on things you don't need.

>

This though.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • TrafficTraffic Member
    edited September 2015

0xdragon said: trigger warning- referral link

Things are getting ridiculous... :(

Nice tutorial, and nice site! :)

• ehabehab Member
    edited September 2015

best way to solve a habbit is to replace its trigger. you mention saving which might work for some. i get a mixed feeling from your post where you try to save and then establish another a spending card link "not good connection". I use this advise - spend only on what you need, small % for fun and the rest for saving ...

• @ehab said:
    best way to solve a habbit is to replace its trigger. you mention saving which might work for some. i get a mixed feeling from your post where you try to save and then establish another a spending card link "not good connection". I use this advise - spend only on what you need, small % for fund and the rest for saving ...

For some the best way is to replace it with another reward, in the first case- working towards a goal.

The other method is by setting a budget, this is best done by having a separate account dedicated to a single thing- the second method.

I feel like the link detracts from the point, so I'll /code it.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • What should i select in the poll if i spend like $3 or $7 per month? I can just select 1 dollar or more then 10...

• @Multi said:
    What should i select in the poll if i spend like $3 or $7 per month? I can just select 1 dollar or more then 10...

Sorry, it's meant to be under $10 for the 1USD one :)

• I find these days the best way to save money is using an hourly vps with lots of locations like DO & VULTR . If you get bored of your VPS you can just move it to another location and its like you got a new VPS without signing up for anything!

and you dont have to waste money on idle vpses because you can delete your VMs and your money just sits there till you actually need a vps.

• The worst tutorial ever. It is like saying to people to not install fail2ban, not securing their server, using a password like 1234 and post root access in a thread of LET asking for help by unknown random people...
    And what will be useful funds of amount 10.000$ that we will gain in our local bank saving from server? What would the life of a LETter will be without unuseful new services? What would be life without love?

• @0xdragon said: If you have personal (read: no money made from them, or services that are critical running) VPSs idling that are costing you in excess of $xx/mth, then I'm sorry- you have a problem.

Fuck you! I might need them someday...

I'm still on stage 1 I think.. denial.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @jvnadr said:
    The worst tutorial ever. It is like saying to people to not install fail2ban, not securing their server, using a password like 1234 and post root access in a thread of LET asking for help by unknown random people...
    And what will be useful funds of amount 10.000$ that we will gain in our local bank saving from server? What would the life of a LETter will be without unuseful new services? What would be life without love?

How so?

I'm genuinely curious as to how purposefully not securing your server is the same as saving some money? Perhaps you should consider whether your argument is biased, or just wrong. :)

I can appreciate that you're passionate about LET. If you love it, preach it. Do what makes you happy :) Simple.

Do as you wish, I don't live your life. But your argument is baseless. :)

• My solution to my LEB buying habit was to buy a home nuc server. I can run as many vps's on it as I want and as it's local the network speeds are good

• 0xdragon said: How so?

Relax man, I was joking (thought that it was obvious). Maybe it was an awful try, but I was joking!

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I have a $4/mo VPS, which I bought only because I like SolusVM's client area bootstrap theme.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited September 2015

0.Install webserver+backend+secure webserver
    1.Put up a wordpress blog
    2.Post cat pictures in an automated way to your blog
    3.Throw up cpc/banner ads/anything else
    4.Make a bot/use a service that posts to social networks with hashtags
    5.image
    6.Profit

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2015

This is ridiculous...

0xdragon said: Probably because it's so easy to forget about that yearly VPS that you bought 2 months ago, and buy a new one that you don't really need because it was a "good deal".

The solution to habitually forgetting about previously purchased servers is to develop a better tracking system. Trying to control VPS spending only indirectly solves the problem.

0xdragon said: Pay the money for your (self-induced) offense by opening a small savings bank account (usually near-instant at your local bank) and depositing the money you would have spent on the LEB into that account.

Keeping track of an additional bank account is difficult. If you lose track and don't maintain enough money in the account, you may be subject to fees. Opening an account simply for saving money on one category of items is counterproductive.

0xdragon said: You could buy something physical with that money

You recommend to buy something physical, and yet you later mention buying a smartphone. A smartphone's usefulness is dependent on your cellular providing maintaining its network, the software distributor (with whom you only have a license to the software) to continue releasing updates in case of security vulnerabilities, etc. In the same way, a virtual machine's usefulness is dependent on the provider to continue running the VM on a physical server. It doesn't make sense to differentiate one from the other.

0xdragon said: The VPS will probably keep you entertained for half an hour as you run a DD and network test, post to LET and then grin to yourself, but the item you purchase might give you a lot more enjoyment.

Wrong, you can get hours of enjoyment from VPS, for example you can set up a script to run a dd/network test every six hours and e-mail you the results.

0xdragon said: The money might even save you in a tight situation in the future.

A VPS can also save you in a tight situation. For example, what if someone is threatening to kill you unless you give them a VPS? I'm sure there are many crazy people like that on LET. Having a idle VPS here would get you out of this situation without injury.

0xdragon said: My personal recommendation would be Revolut (trigger warning- referral link

This makes it clear that OP's viewpoint is motivated by personal profit, and not representative of a neutral position.

0xdragon said: (Please note: I am by all means a huge lover of the lowend* spirit, and that means, buy a great deal for all you want, just consider the alternative!)

There is no alternative. If you see a great deal, then you are morally bound to purchase it. Don't let OP confuse you from the true path.

So in summary I think this post should be deleted because it is not only misleading, but possibly dangerous and could get people seriously injured.

Disclaimer: this comment is funded in part by the International Association of VPS Providers.

• @perennate "International Association of VPS providers" - so you're one of them?

• @jvnadr said:
    Relax man, I was joking (thought that it was obvious). Maybe it was an awful try, but I was joking!

Oh, right! Well I'm sorry for getting it wrong haha. Perhaps use the /sarcasm tags or /joke xD

• @perennate said:
    This is ridiculous...

Disclaimer: this comment is funded in part by the International Association of VPS Providers.

Okay, now this is hilarious ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I actually liked this tutorial, well done

• ehabehab Member
    edited September 2015
    • just wanted to add this

old habits just ...

• You can also realize that you don't need those idling LEB and not renew those that are idle and stop buying new LEBs just because that's the way that makes sense for you.

Get a LEB only if you have a project you need this LEB for.

Also regarding good deal. If you buy a good deal, and let it idle a year before you actually use it, it would have cost you the same to buy nothing for a year and then a more expensive server (probably on a better network, better SLA...)

Good luck addicts. I'd advice against changing this addiction for another.

Well.. if you have some recs of nice addictions that might be useful. ;)

Great thread!

• hahahaha... i used to be this kind of person, few years ago, i spent my money everytime there was a good offer, and after bought vps, what? i just give it to anyone who wants it, and then my balance just phufff... zero.

• @0xdragon said:
    If you have personal (read: no money made from them, or services that are critical running) VPSs idling that are costing you in excess of $xx/mth, then I'm sorry- you have a problem.

A problem? For spending $xx/month for idling servers? Dude, if you work, you're entitled to having toys and the amount is trivial. Do you ever order pizza? If yes, do you beat yourself afterwards for not cooking it yourself? Do you ever go for a drink? If yes, do you beat yourself afterwards because that was personal and not business expense?

Have you ever thought of what the money spent on LEBs could buy you? It's quite a lot, really.

Quite a lot indeed. By saving $100/month, I can but a Bugatti Veyron in just 2500 years.

The value of money very much depends on how much you have of it. Every dollar counts, and this small pile of money that you save could be hugely beneficial in your future, or just buy you something nice.

Your second sentence negates the first one. If you have a lot, you don't care about the little amounts.

Forget those get rich quick schemes. You want to get rich? Stop spending money on things you don't need.

You want to get rich? Forget doing the miser dance and double your productivity every 6 months.

• 0xdragon said: The VPS will probably keep you entertained for half an hour as you run a DD and network test, post to LET and then grin to yourself,

Seriously, does anyone purchase a LEB just to do that? I always assumed the benchmarks came from people who needed a LEB for other things, and happened to have a minute to clue in LET.

• I have stopped my bad habits as now. It was evil and caused large pain for the wallet.

• @deadbeef said:
    You want to get rich? Forget doing the miser dance and double your productivity every 6 months.

You take my fun thread too seriously ;)

@singsing said:
    Seriously, does anyone purchase a LEB just to do that? I always assumed the benchmarks came from people who needed a LEB for other things, and happened to have a minute to clue in LET.

@Fritz said:
    I have stopped my bad habits as now. It was evil and caused large pain for the wallet.

:D

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @0xdragon said:
    :You take my fun thread too seriously ;)

It was well disguised, I thought you were being serious :)

• deadbeef said: Quite a lot indeed. By saving $100/month, I can but a Bugatti Veyron in just 2500 years.

An investment of $100 a month guarantees you a secure retirement. :)

• @4n0nx said:
    An investment of $100 a month guarantees you a secure retirement. :)

100 * 12 * 40 = $48.000 :)

• Most of my idles are from good deals, or the one that I'm curios of how good the provider is in handling low profit customers.

Idle VPSes will come in handy when you need to test things out or when you need a temporary backup.