Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HDD Colo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HDD Colo

Hello,

Do you know a provider which offer HDD colocation?
I just searching for few HDD(2-3) at a 1Gbit shared inside EU if possible.

I dont need much RAM/CPU, just for storage.

Comments

• jenokjenok Member, Host Rep

HDD colo ? Is this new toy ? hmm..

Do you mean provider provide most server parts and you provide hdd only ?

• A small VPS with my own HDD.

• @Sven i can offer you this service located in Romania, if is ok please let me know

• Publicly only Delimiter offers something like that, but US.

Most won't offer it as it is complicated - You have to manually configure Xen/KVM to passthrough the HDD, you have to get a chassis with enough hotswap bays (not cheap, else you have to shutdown for HDD replacement) and then you also need to take care of shipping back/RMA - Cost for this is so high that the service would cost more than a cheap dedicated server.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @cociu made me a great offer. Thanks

• @Sven thanks for join

• Delimiter was the first to openly offer it, its a difficult product because of the logistics of tracking all these small little package arriving, but its working, the service runs well. We have customers shuttling disks back and forth, we have others that just keep aggregating up their disks.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • MarkTurner said: Delimiter was the first to openly offer it, its a difficult product because of the logistics of tracking all these small little package arriving, but its working, the service runs well. We have customers shuttling disks back and forth, we have others that just keep aggregating up their disks.

How much HDDs can you bind to a single server? Do you have to scale the entire plan up (so lots of useless RAM)?

• William said: How much HDDs can you bind to a single server? Do you have to scale the entire plan up (so lots of useless RAM)?

normaly up to 25 hdd for a storage , or better 48 slots of 2.5 inch , etc ...

• @William said:
    How much HDDs can you bind to a single server?

You get a dedicated L5520 thread - so 16 max, but probably in a chassis with like 12 hot swap trays? And I think you need to scale up everything if you stack them.

• William said: How much HDDs can you bind to a single server? Do you have to scale the entire plan up (so lots of useless RAM)?

16 disks per server is the sweet spot. We use 2 x 8 port HBA with straight (non-expander) backplanes. So each user gets 1 dedicated 6Gbps port to use.

4 SSDs in RAID10 for the boot disk which are strapped off a RAID controller.

Expanders introduce performance issues (as you know) and incompatibility especially with larger disks.

These systems are deployed with 24GB or 48GB RAM depending on the Slot hosting product being used.

Re-reading what you said, I think you want to know how many disks per VPS? We have tried with 16 disks and it works fine. We have a customer running ZFS with 8 disks, I haven't seen his config but he has send me some Bonnie++ tests from it.

Each slot comes with a set of resources, so if you want 8 disks that 8 packages ie 8GB RAM.

cociu said: normaly up to 25 hdd for a storage , or better 48 slots of 2.5 inch , etc ...

You do not want to be using expander based backplanes for this. You'll have no end of compatibility headaches and also the limited performance. If you have a single attach expander then you only have 4 SATA chanels across 24 disks which means a couple of users can literally paralyse the storage.

• @cociu could not provide me the service and has not even refunded the ~248€ yet. Still waiting

• Is the Netherlands fine for you?

• @Sven tf it has been a month :(

I'd say just get a time4vps VPS or kimsufi or.. servdiscount... Hetzner server auction..

• Time4vps has good service, i fill up hdd space and they didn't kick me.

Thanked by 24n0nx shell
  • SvenSven Member
    edited October 2015

@hawkjohn7 said:
    Time4vps has good service, i fill up hdd space and they didn't kick me.

Im talking about 8TB+

• Sven said: Im talking about 8TB+

Delimiter could provide that either as a storagevps, a dedicated server or you can colo some disks.

• MarkTurner said: Delimiter could provide that either as a storagevps, a dedicated server or you can colo some disks.

But not within EU unfortunately

• Sven said: But not within EU unfortunately

True but you said 'if possible' rather than absolutely, so maybe consider it as an option.

StorageVPS upto 40TB can delivered off the shelf, large systems will take a few days as it will probably end up being a dedicated storage server.

Most dedicateds are in stock, 3, 4, 5TB disks in stock

SlotHosting you can ship from Amazon or we can supply disks from stock.

• That looks great for a Storage vps

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • Am I the only one interested in knowing if @cociu really "stole" €248 from @Sven? WTH man, give him back his money!

Thanked by 2netomx BensDaMan
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Issam2204 said:
    Am I the only one interested in knowing if cociu really "stole" €248 from Sven? WTH man, give him back his money!

Me too, that is weird. I want to hear the other side of the story

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • cociucociu Member
    edited October 2015

@Issam2204 I asked him to wait two days I consult with my financiar department how to give it a refound in legal terms because we purchased a HDD 8 TB who later had to give return, and the customer on the same day did charge back in paypal. I understand the frustration but I / we asked to wait 2 days. Now i am not a scamer, the customer will receive our apologies for the expected time and the entire amount . I work hard to keep my reputation clear so with 243 eur i am not rich.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • The 2 days are already over. And you have my 245€ since 1 month now.

• never had problems with my 2 refunds from @cociu
    so in my opinion he is NOT a scammer

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

So, if I get it, he made the order, @cociu bought the HDD and in the same day, @Sven made a chargeback, correct?

Thanked by 24n0nx Issam2204