Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shall we accept bitcoin?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shall we accept bitcoin?

armindsarminds Member, Host Rep

Hello,

On our site, we accept Credit Card and PayPal.

Shall we accept bitcoin? Is it worth it?

Bitcoin Usage
  1. Do you pay using bitcoing?50 votes
    1. No
      34.00%
    2. Yes
      66.00%

Comments

• Yes, people are increasingly valuing Bitcoin and so there are more and more people who own Bitcoins. Also, you can forget about chargebacks with it.

• the more payment options the better.. regular payments with Bitcoin would be annoying though, so I hope you have annual plans. :p

Thanked by 1Brad
  • armindsarminds Member, Host Rep

@4n0nx said:
    the more payment options the better.. regular payments with Bitcoin would be annoying though, so I hope you have annual plans. :p

Yes, we have annual plans. But please explain how annoying?

• I dont see why not.

Thanked by 1arminds
  • arminds said: Yes, we have annual plans. But please explain how annoying?

Requires manual intervention every month..

Thanked by 1arminds
  • 4n0nx said: Requires manual intervention every month..

That's not a problem for everyone though. Like me. I do that with paypal, every time. Bitcoin would be easier in those cases, especially if you're using an app, which can read a qr-code.

I would say to go for it.

Thanked by 1arminds
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

We've been accepting Bitcoin via Bitpay for months and its been great.

Thanked by 1arminds

I should ask, what would the downside be of accepting Bitcoin? I can't think of any...

Thanked by 1arminds
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

jbiloh said: I should ask, what would the downside be of accepting Bitcoin? I can't think of any...

Through services like BitPay which clear in dollars (or local currency)? Seems nothing. Even with their new 1% charges, its a heck of a lot cheaper than other gateways like Paypal or 2CO.

If you accept bitcoins natively, and do not immediately convert to currency, you run the risk of the coin crashing. It's highly volatile and if if you hold coins in your desktop wallet, you may end up losing it all if your disk gets fried. No way to recover dead coins!

Thanked by 1arminds
  • accepting bitcoins is easy and about 5-6% buyers now a days pays with bitcoin mostly
    but remember out of 6% 2% is fraud or will do something that you don't want.

For a business the only sensible way to accept Bitcoin is to immediately exchange it for local currency. In our case, USD. I completely agree.

Thanked by 1arminds
  • singsingsingsing Member
    edited September 2015

jbiloh said: For a business the only sensible way to accept Bitcoin is to immediately exchange it for local currency.

Why? Are there any accounting difficulties that can't be solved by keeping accurate records and running a simple script? True that you have to separate revenue and capital gains/losses (essentially currency speculations) but shouldn't take more than an afternoon of hacking.

• @jbiloh said:
    I should ask, what would the downside be of accepting Bitcoin? I can't think of any...

Some idiot hacking your PC for the wallet's private key! (I'm joking, Bitcoin is great, but I still like PayPal in case that I am scammed into something)

• More payment gateways, more customers that you can attract. I haven't tried Bitcoin personally, but seeing how a LOT of people uses it, I'm giving it a try pretty soon. Good luck to you.

Thanked by 1arminds
  • charliecharlie Member, Host Rep

@RockBeltHOST said:
    accepting bitcoins is easy and about 5-6% buyers now a days pays with bitcoin mostly
    but remember out of 6% 2% is fraud or will do something that you don't want.

don't forget, bitcoin doesn't have "chargeback". So you can forget chargeback from risks users after months, etc.

Thanked by 1arminds
  • 0 chargebacks, and not hard to add. Whats bad about it?

Thanked by 1arminds

Thanks to you all for the valuable info. :)

Now, we accept Bitcoin :)

Thanks a lot!

• Are there any other business decisions you'd like to run past the community?

Thanked by 2netomx IgniteServers
  • Namecheap and numerous others are allowing Bitcoin as its a simplistic online E-currency to use. There is more pros to using it than cons so I would recommend it.

Thanked by 1arminds
  • doghouch said: Some idiot hacking your PC for the wallet's private key! (I'm joking, Bitcoin is great, but I still like PayPal in case that I am scammed into something)

I don't know how much of that was serious but you don't keep your private key on a server :D

Thanked by 1joepie91
  • Hmm I'm curious out of those who pay via Bitcoin how many abuse the service? Ex. Send outbound DOS attacks, etc

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

We accept Bitcoin and we don't see increase of abuse over other payment methods.
    In fact, as you cannot chargeback with Bitcoin, we see less abuse, but it varies from month to month.

Thanked by 1arminds