Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH has new 2016 lineup with $70 dedicated
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH has new 2016 lineup with $70 dedicated

I don't recall seeing this last week

http://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/hosting/

DDR4, fancy

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog

Comments

• dang their site is hard to browse now, just give us a raw list to compare

or maybe that is the idea, to make it hard to compare

I wonder what older hardware will end up at soyoustart

• I would go with it but sadly no SSD :(

• @Sady said:
    I would go with it but sadly no SSD :(

look at the game servers, 100% ssd and dual for raid1

http://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/game/

actually their whole UI is confusing, you have to hit the [ + ] to see the other options like ssd

see the + sign

http://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/enterprise/

• It's crazy they don't have 4TB drives.

We have a year old server with 3TB and it was the last month they offered that, never again.

• @wwwcom This was announced in their 2016 lineup a month ago.

Thanked by 2alice2k wwwcom
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited September 2015

you can do open any single servertype by pressing the blue plus-sign in front of the servername... than you'll get a bunch of alternative drive-configurations (including ssd, hw-raid and bigger disks) ;-)

edit says: didn't see @wwwcom already mentioned this ;-)

for 4TB drives choose http://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/infra/

• wwwcom said: look at the game servers, 100% ssd and dual for raid1

http://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/game/

That's quite competitive. A E5-1650v3 with 128GB (!) Ram and 2x 480 GB SSD for just $199. Unfortunately I wouldn't use OVH for mission critical operations... I just don't have enough trust in their network nor their support.

• and 10 gbps

• kinda confused for OVH --> internet, is the 250Mbps guaranteed and the line is 1-3Gbps depending the package as mentioned below?

• FredQcFredQc Member
    edited September 2015

@Nihim The Hosting and Game range are now 250Mbps guaranteed like the SoyouStart. All other ranges are 500Mbps

• Unfortunately I wouldn't use OVH for mission critical operations... I just don't have enough trust in their network nor their support.

We've had servers @ OVH-CA since they opened. Zero downtime, they always route their network when there is a fibercut or something.

We had a raid harddrive fail recently and they "happily" scheduled it for weekend replacement at the time we requested, 30 minutes or so of downtime and that was because our kvm interface apparently was really out of date. They also replaced it with a non-seagate drive when we hinted we didn't like seagate.

I dunno maybe they just treat us right because we have higher end servers there (also $50 servers but $300 too)

note this is the real OVH side, not soyoustart where I have heard bad things

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @Nihim said:
    kinda confused for OVH --> internet, is the 250Mbps guaranteed and the line is 1-3Gbps depending the package as mentioned below?

You get bursting for a certain amount per month. The ovh intranet connection is 1gbps which is nice.

I think they advertise it as 1gbps so you know you have upgrade path.

Bandwidth has never really been a problem at ovh though, more like disk space.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

OVH still has scarce drive options. I really like that they're already offering the D line with DDR4 at such a low price, but they expect you to pay +$143 for 800GB x4 RAID 10 SSDs.

First off that's such a weird size for an SSD. They use 300GB and 800GB SSDs which makes me believe they're old SSDs or PCI but that doesn't make sense with the RAID configuration. Anyway, I just don't understand how they can afford to give brand new hardware at such a low price and then still charge something like $30 per SSD for 800GB drives when 1TB drives are something like $300 now. Then there's the fact that they only have those preset drive options. They're bottle-necking themselves and their customers with those drive options.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@VirMach said:
    OVH still has scarce drive options. I really like that they're already offering the D line with DDR4 at such a low price, but they expect you to pay +$143 for 800GB x4 RAID 10 SSDs.

First off that's such a weird size for an SSD. They use 300GB and 800GB SSDs which makes me believe they're old SSDs or PCI but that doesn't make sense with the RAID configuration. Anyway, I just don't understand how they can afford to give brand new hardware at such a low price and then still charge something like $30 per SSD for 800GB drives when 1TB drives are something like $300 now. Then there's the fact that they only have those preset drive options. They're bottle-necking themselves and their customers with those drive options.

They're most likely using intel dc s3500 drives, the 800GB one costs 580 euro's.

• @vfuse said:

They do use the Intel DC lineup drives, so you're not getting garbage, you're getting some really great SSDs. $143 a month for 4 x 800 GB Intel DC drives (S3500 is what they were using, I don't know if those are still in-service) is really good pricing.

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Really nice prices indeed... I might get one of these soon as well for a side project.
    Thanks for the share.

• entrailzentrailz Member, Host Rep

Does anyone know how the Intel Xeon D-1520 performs compared to the E3 series?

Thanked by 1Dillybob
  • DillybobDillybob Member
    edited September 2015

@entrailz said:
    Does anyone know how the Intel Xeon D-1520 performs compared to the E3 series?

Just about to ask this!

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2015

vfuse said: They're most likely using intel dc s3500 drives, the 800GB one costs 580 euro's.

Steven_F said: They do use the Intel DC lineup drives, so you're not getting garbage, you're getting some really great SSDs. $143 a month for 4 x 800 GB Intel DC drives (S3500 is what they were using, I don't know if those are still in-service) is really good pricing.

Intel DC was indeed amazing, when it came out in 2012 (or was it 2013?). So my statement about them being old SSDs is true. Yes, they still seem to be comparable to new 1TB drives in terms of benchmark, but that doesn't justify their (old) expensive price and these could have seen a lot of use in the past few years if they haven't updated their disk hardware in such a long time. When we get servers for our customers, we always ask for new drives for a reason.

Is there anything special about the DC line that makes it still better than any other SSD today?

Here are the specs I pulled up:

800GB
    Sequential Read: up to 500 MB/s

Sequential Write: up to 460 MB/s

Up to 75,000 IOPS / 36,000 IOPS

$600-900

And here's a Samsung 850 Pro, for comparison:

1TB
    Sequential Read: up to 550 MB/s

Sequential Write: up to 520 MB/s

Up to 100,000 IOPS / 90,000 IOPS

$400-470

Intel does claim good durability and endurance / protection on the DC line but they don't really go into it that much. Are these major differences? So the question are: is using an expensive, very good drive from a long time ago better than a cheaper, very good drive from now? And should OVH be using 2015 Processors, RAM, but SSD from 2012 and charge for it more than newer SSDs?

Maybe they've just bought so many disks at such a high price when SSDs were expensive that they still have to pass on the cost to customers. Either way, they're not very competitive when it comes to that category.

entrailz said: Does anyone know how the Intel Xeon D-1520 performs compared to the E3 series?

D series is supposed to be somewhere in between E3 series and Dual E5. It would obvious vary when you compare specific models.

• Steven_FSteven_F Member
    edited September 2015

@entrailz said:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2507&cmp[]=1942&cmp[]=2409

The D-1520 is 4 x 2.0 GHz vs the D-1540's 8 x 2.0 GHz.

• entrailzentrailz Member, Host Rep

Yeah, managed to find the benchmark for the D-1540 but nothing so far for the D-1520, can only imagine it performs quite a bit worse due to half the cores/threads.

• zeitgeistzeitgeist Member
    edited September 2015

VirMach said: Is there anything special about the DC line that makes it still better than any other SSD today? ... Intel does claim good durability and endurance / protection on the DC line but they don't really go into it that much. Are these major differences?

What I consider "special" is power loss protection for in-flight data, which Intel DCs have. You can read more about it here: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/technology-briefs/ssd-power-loss-imminent-technology-brief.pdf

AFAIK the Samsung 850 you cided doesn't have this. You could could get the "enterprise-grade" Samsung 845DC, which does have power loss protection: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/downloads/document/Samsung_SSD_845DC_05_Power_loss_protection(PLP).pdf

A Samsung 845DC PRO 400GB is around ~$350 nowadays, vs. a regular 850 PRO 512GB which is around $230 ($0.86 per GB vs. $0.45 per GB). As you see, the enterprise edition is quite more expensive. I personally find power loss protection highly valuable, in particular if you're running a shared hosting environment (like cloud, VPS) where customers share their storage space.