Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel E3v3 is said to use more power than E3v2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Intel E3v3 is said to use more power than E3v2

mnpeepmnpeep Member
edited December 2012 in General

Link to the new E3v3 stats:
http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2012090601_Features_of_Intel_Xeon_E3-1200_v3_processors.html

I find it quite odd that Intel went backwards with the v3 generation.

Of course, we're not 100% certain of the specs, right? (IMO)

/discuss

Comments

• @mnpeep - Well, with an increased transistor density it is only normal for the power usage to go up. So I don't think that they went backwards, as this is normal for Intel. First they introduce a new architecture on the same process technology as the old one, then they do a die shrink. That's when you will see the power savings. I won't jump on Haswell when it comes out, but instead will wait for the die shrink.

I wonder what the consumer name for the new Haswell CPUs will be.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited December 2012

@mnpeep. No! Greater TDP is NOT the same as more power being used. It might be.

Haswell is said to be 10-15% more power efficient last I heard.

• @mnpeep

Intel's tick tock development cycle, as explained by @marcm, is a unique thing. I'm not surprised that the power usage has gone up.

• @concerto49 said: No! Greater TDP is NOT the same as more power being used. It might be.

Well, I have a 40 AMP 110v rack, which allows me to have all the slots filled with E3v2s, but I would not be able to fill it with E3v3s, so in a way, I am actually looking at the TDP more carefully.

• @marcm said: Well, with an increased transistor density it is only normal for the power usage to go up. So I don't think that they went backwards, as this is normal for Intel. First they introduce a new architecture on the same process technology as the old one, then they do a die shrink. That's when you will see the power savings. I won't jump on Haswell when it comes out, but instead will wait for the die shrink.

I wonder what the consumer name for the new Haswell CPUs will be.

I would have thought that they would have killed two birds with one stone, but I guess not.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited December 2012

@mnpeep said: Well, I have a 40 AMP 110v rack, which allows me to have all the slots filled with E3v2s, but I would not be able to fill it with E3v3s, so in a way, I am actually looking at the TDP more carefully.

How do you conclude this? Are they out? Have you already installed it? Do you not understand what I said? I know a lot of things that have the same TDP yet their power use is a lot different. Read the reviews when they are out before jumping. Haswell will be more energy efficient.

• Hence why the "T" in "TDP" is "thermal"....

• You all are focused on power consumption, but I read it and see this glaring at me

"Denlow platform will utilize socket 1150, and it will be compatible with Xeon E3-1200 v4 microprocessors, coming in 2014 and built on Broadwell microarchitecture."

So current motherboards are useless, no retro fitting old hardware with new CPU's, only ditching old hardware for new, so will probably be a net failure for Intel, who now seems to be entering a buggy whip stage of existence with Arm setting up to clean their clock

• @miTgiB said: So current motherboards are useless, no retro fitting old hardware with new CPU's, only ditching old hardware for new, so will probably be a net failure for Intel, who now seems to be entering a buggy whip stage of existence with Arm setting up to clean their clock

Intel has done this for years and will continue to do so. I doubt they will change so soon. Not saying they are right or wrong, but nothing new.

• @concerto49 said: Not saying they are right or wrong

Seems like the Arm market will sneak up and bit them in the ass while they were looking with blinders on. AMD could never beat them since they built a compatible/replacement processor, while Arm is emerging with something that is looking to be the superior product.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I wish ARM will be able to replace x86 soon.
    But as we say here, there is a long way to far-away, there are many-many things to do still.
    Sure, scalability, modularity and all come a along way to reach that goal, but intel and amd squeezed a lot from an old technology that reached its limits long ago, you may never know what hackery money can push ahead and give x86 a new life, it is like the cat with 9 lives, I am not sure 8 already are gone.

• @Liam said: ARM because its British

It is? I didn't know that

• IMHO since it will not be socket compatible with the Xeon-E3 v1/v2 they should choose another name for it. Just calling it v3 and being incompatible sounds like a bad idea.