Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iDRAC vulnerability
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iDRAC vulnerability

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@coolice said:
    They made a check script

wget -qq -O - http://kb.cloudlinux.com/scripts/idrac_hack_check.sh|bash 

Seriously? They're having you pipe a script straight into Bash over HTTP?

That's just negligent. If anything, it provides another avenue of attack...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I copy pasted it from the blog post

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@joepie91 said:
    That's just negligent. If anything, it provides another avenue of attack...

YOLO!

• Is this exploit limited to any specific iDRAC versions?

@coolice said:
    I copy pasted it from the blog post

Right, sorry, I was a bit unclear I guess. My criticism isn't towards you, but towards CloudLinux. Especially calling themselves a security vendor - what the hell were they thinking?!

Thanked by 2coolice netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

and their bash just check for the mining libraries, not even iDrac :/

• https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/843044

Dell simply removes IPMI 1.5 to solve this.

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

netomx said: and their bash just check for the mining libraries, not even iDrac :/

>

It check if you have been hacked :P nothing else. There is no way (as far as I know) to detect if there is a iDrac attached to the server from inside the server OS

Thanked by 1netomx
  • SolusVMSolusVM Member, Host Rep

It's not isolated to iDrac.. It's IPMI in general.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

This was patched last year for DRACs and I really hope anybody with their management ports accessible to the public is at least keeping them patched.

• Thank you for the nice script. I hope It is already patched, this may be some old time backdoor-ed servers.

Since it was apparently not clear enough: DO NOT RUN THE COMMAND IN THE POST. The script is downloaded over HTTP, which means there's absolutely no guarantee that it isn't maliciously modified. Running it like above could very well result in compromising your server.

Instead, download the script, verify that it does what it claims, and only then run the local copy you already have.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @joepie91 said:
    Since it was apparently not clear enough: DO NOT RUN THE COMMAND IN THE POST. The script is downloaded over HTTP, which means there's absolutely no guarantee that it isn't maliciously modified. Running it like above could very well result in compromising your server.

Instead, download the script, verify that it does what it claims, and only then run the local copy you already have.

Script clear have a look at : http://pastebin.com/YDynRrFc They are just checking files like: /etc/ld.so.preload . I don't think so it will be helpful to detect the actual vulnerability.

• babuumbabuum Member
    edited September 2015

@SecureLayer7 said:
    Script clear have a look at : http://pastebin.com/YDynRrFc They are just checking files like: /etc/ld.so.preload . I don't think so it will be helpful to detect the actual vulnerability.

Someone could change the content depending on the user agent. And if it's FF / Chrome / IE send a legit script and with wget a malicious one.

Thanked by 1netomx
    edited September 2015

@SecureLayer7 said:

You're completely missing the point, which is very concerning given the services you advertise.

Making people pipe scripts straight into Bash over HTTP allows for trivial MITM by anybody inbetween - that can be the hosting company on either side, any of the transit providers, or any third party that has coerced (or partnered with) any of the aforementioned. Especially with the use of watering hole attacks by the NSA and friends, this is a really bad idea.

Unless you've downloaded and verified the script by yourself beforehand, you can't know whether you're running the same code as everybody else.

Thanked by 2GIANT_CRAB Dean
  • The way they are downloading script is suspicious!

Header returned by request for: http://kb.cloudlinux.com/scripts/idrac_hack_check.sh -> 162.159.241.63

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 11:35:24 GMT
    Content-Type: application/x-sh
    Content-Length: 626
    Connection: close
    Set-Cookie: __cfduid=d5300f31e2815d224e8518bd483df698a1443180924; expires=Sat, 24-Sep-16 11:35:24 GMT; path=/; domain=.cloudlinux.com; HttpOnly
    Vary: Accept-Encoding,User-Agent
    Last-Modified: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 12:10:41 GMT
    ETag: "21c27-272-5207d1eaee921"
    Accept-Ranges: bytes
    Server: cloudflare-nginx
    CF-RAY: 22b66ce9b38f246e-IAD

Try with all user agent like FF, IE , IPAD, Iphone other. I guess you will find no cloaking tricks.

@SecureLayer7 said:
    Try with all user agent like FF, IE , IPAD, Iphone other. I guess you will find no cloaking tricks.

Read what I said. You cannot check this for anything but your own servers. You should not be advertising security services if you do not understand this.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

It's quite funny to see some folks don't understand/know how a MITM (man in the middle) attack works.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @joepie91 said:
    Read what I said. You cannot check this for anything but your own servers. You should not be advertising security services if you do not understand this.

I agreed with you! Its pretty clear and totally understood what you trying to say. Even i doubt on the ISP companies for eavesdropping.