Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you looking forward to ARM servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are you looking forward to ARM servers?

pikzpikz Member
edited November 2011 in General

"10x less power consumption, 40x less cables, 10x less switches, 20x less racks, 4x more servers for 3x lower cost."

http://armdevices.net/2011/11/06/arm-servers-getting-ready-to-disrupt-intels-50billionyear-server-market/

Thanked by 1Asim

Comments

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited November 2011

Nice read, I know that since 90s ARM processors have done great in portable devices market, in low power consuption and extended battery life.

EDIT: please see next post

• Good old english enginering. I have a ARM processor in my android.

Thanked by 1SwordfishBE
  • Don't care unless it makes the prices lower.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I'm a huge fan of Intel Atoms and VIA's CPUs so of course I'll be following ARM's closely. I was researching their new CPUs about a month ago and, while I think they are pretty impressive, I'm still not sure how they will handle processing compared to today's CPUs. Apparently their new CPUs are designed for applications like web and database so I don't foresee them hitting the VPS market at release.

• To keep my answer short: No.

• Energy Core xD

Sounds cool lol

• @breton said: Don't care unless it makes the prices lower.

So you actually do care?

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited November 2011

Although ARM processors, are great, they will most likely never be popular in high-end server and desktop computers.

One of the downsides to ARM processors is a much smaller instruction set, so it takes longer to do advance calculations compared to the x86 instruction set family.

Although their a great piece of British Engineering, I wonder if anyone still has one of them BBC Micro's :)

On another note, the day Steve Jobs died (we knew about it the day after), I was at the National Museum of Computing playing on some of the first computers (including pretty the first Macs)

• kylixkylix Member
    edited November 2011

@Daniel said: One of the downsides to ARM processors is a much smaller instruction set, so it takes longer to do advance calculations compared to the x86 instruction set family.

As far as I remember it was the other way round. Because of the small instruction set the calculations can be much faster because the registries within the cpu are accessed much faster than using the cisc instruction set. This would make them much more interesting for server environments. But I heard that about 10 years ago in informatics classes. So long ago.

• @Kylix Informatics? as in Informatics Campus / School ?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

It may be cool for low end boxes

• as long as they have Virtualization technology. :D

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited November 2011

Well, I noticed that while posting my other comment I thought an ARM processor was used in the original Game Boy (1989), and Game Boy Color, but it WASN'T!
    However, since it powered Game Boy Advance, Nintendo stick with it in DS, DS light, DSi, and 3DS. it indeed did great to their handheld segment, notably with the current DS.

• http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/14/amd-ships-16-core-bulldozer-powered-opteron-6200/

I'm more looking forward to that than ARM. Mmmm, 16 cores.

• 40x less cables

The PhD in me is rolling my eyes over that math.

Thanked by 1JustinBoshoff
  • @drmike HAHAHA LOL, your funny man, thanks

• I'd love it if someone connected Rasberry Pi boxes to a nice big HD and a decent connection. It would be sweet :)

• Get a DockStar. It rocks.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited November 2011

@kylix said: As far as I remember it was the other way round. Because of the small instruction set the calculations can be much faster because the registries within the cpu are accessed much faster than using the cisc instruction set. This would make them much more interesting for server environments. But I heard that about 10 years ago in informatics classes. So long ago.

For the basic instructions they sure will do (although depends on the clock rate too)

But for heavy instructions when which they lack, it means instead of being able todo that process in one instruction, you're going to have todo it in 10 instead.

Which is why I think for medium/high-end server and desktop market, I don't see them going there.

• I think ARM do a great job with their mobile device processors, I am looking forward to seeing what they come up with for server processing.

Power is becoming more and more expensive and I'm sure some people will find great benefit for them.

• @Daniel said: But for heavy instructions when which they lack, it means instead of being able todo that process in one instruction, you're going to have todo it in 10 instead.

The difference between risc and cisc (as far as I remember it correctly) is, that instead of using microcode you have a direct connection of the instruction set inside the controller. Additionally the length of the instruction set is always the same size unlike with the cisc instruction set which can be 3 bytes, 1 bytes etc. so it isn't predictable. The decoding of such an instruction thus needs more time. The only effort cisc controllers can do to be as fast as risc is by rising the mhz speed or by the core-design. But this is always more pricey.

That's why is see risc processors coming also in the (mid-sized) server-field. They are and have been in the high-end field for ages. Cisc processors were just so successfull because of the IBM pressure on dealers and producers of desktops to have a standardized design. Most machines that require massive data to be processed have, are and will be using risc, ie gaming consoles, the IBM high-end servers. The reason why risc is also so successful in mobile equipment is simply because of the low price and the low energy consumption. Risc always puts more work on the programmer of the code but the code-execution is much faster.

@cripperz: Yes informatics in school.