Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decent free external mail service? (besides Google Apps)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Decent free external mail service? (besides Google Apps)

erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
edited December 2012 in General

Hi,

I was working on a robust solution to host mail servers to give my members an email address completely free of charge.
Google Apps is VERY nice as people would have their own Gmail yet it has a free user limit and not sure if it has an API for creating email accounts.
Any recommendations on externally hosted free mailservers or somebody interested in delivering such a thing?
If not, then I'll probably build a forwarder based email system.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• @ihatetonyy

Thanks, that could work out quite well

• I use postmark for outbound, the first 1,000 are free.

Amazing service imo, the rates are really cheap after the first 1k too.

• @BronzeByte - You could easily set up your own mail server. Here is a tutorial on how to do it: http://library.linode.com/email/postfix/gateway-debian-6-squeeze

You can easily adapt it to your favorite Linux Distribution, and you can probably find a decent VPS to run it on at a good price. It surely beats the hell out of some other more expensive solutions.

• WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited December 2012

No, it doesn't. All large scale mail transport providers have agreements with the large scale mail hosts to keep the flow going. That's the only reason you see the corproates opting for Sendgrid/Postmark, the cost is pretty marginal though.

Try doing any serious mailing with local stuff, you aren't likely to get far.

And no, before the smartasses come in, serious mailing != spamming.

• anyone know the exact sending limit of google app? it looks less than advertised.

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited December 2012

@BronzeByte said: Google Apps is VERY nice as people would have their own Gmail yet it has a free user limit and not sure if it has an API for creating email accounts.

What do you expect for free...?

And wanting to create mass accounts sounds like abuse to me.

• @Wintereise said: I use postmark for outbound, the first 1,000 are free.

Yep, that and SendGrid are top-notch.

• @Wintereise said: Try doing any serious mailing with local stuff, you aren't likely to get far.

Dealt with this for over 10 days with a client who was mass mailing to their local subscribers.. we should just let him enjoy the fun that is waiting for him. I'd seriously pay out of pocket to somebody than deal with email servers.

edited December 2012

@bamn My thoughts exactly, it's such a pain in the behind to do it right. And even then, you have idiotic providers blocking you left and right.

I'd rather pay Postmark than deal with it, which is exactly what I did.

Also, Hi @orien. We don't see you here often, you should try to be more active :)

(I'm a fan of your Cleverkite stuff, keep it up!)

• AT&T is better to deal with than Comcast for blacklist related stuff, let me tell you that from experience :)

edited December 2012

The most painful one so far I've had to deal with is Yahoo.

Do they have mindless drones working there or something...? :V

• My blog email is running on Yandex.ru which works pretty fine, has all webmail/pop3/imap/smtp with SSL. try mail.nsbeta.info

• zoho mail:)

• klikliklikli Member
    edited December 2012

(duplicate)

• created a live.com domain account. Tested. Same as hotmail or free upgrade to outlook.com.

Very good free services but unfortunately it does not support catch all mail.

• @DNSbed said: My blog email is running on Yandex.ru which works pretty fine, has all webmail/pop3/imap/smtp with SSL. try mail.nsbeta.info

Does it support DKIM? :D The reason I still stick with Google Apps because it got DKIM :(

• @giang said: Does it support DKIM? :D The reason I still stick with Google Apps because it got DKIM :(

Though you can set up SPF/DKIM/etc for local mail exchange, but yea it makes it handy, and you'll want to use DKIM anyways for all your mail accounts since everyone else would pass the SPF records easily if they too are using google apps to send (in case they decided to put something like your email in the from).