Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lowend competition Winner setup what host?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lowend competition Winner setup what host?

LeeLee Veteran
edited December 2012 in General

Just occured to me that I remember seeing someone won the 6 months of free server and other goodies offered in the recent competition but what service have they setup or has it not happened?

Comments

• I am still working on it, quite busy recently and I will be travelling at the end of the month for a week so I figured it is probably the best idea to get things started after I am back, thanks for asking though :)

• LeeLee Veteran

@zhuanyi - Ok good luck with it then :)

• Hope to see something before the 6 months :p

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@concerto49 said: Hope to see something before the 6 months :p

Yeah, me too, frankly it is a long time since then, I was hoping it will be much faster :)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@zhuanyi said: I am still working on it, quite busy recently and I will be travelling at the end of the month for a week so I figured it is probably the best idea to get things started after I am back, thanks for asking though :)

Has your 6 months started or not? To be honest you could have done much better.. surely if you participated it you would have considered all of these factors.

• I hope LET isnt paying or whomever isnt paying for a node that's just idling in a DC...

• @eastonch said: I hope LET isnt paying or whomever isnt paying for a node that's just idling in a DC...

6 months free = someone's paying. It's been at least 1.5 months.

• Maybe the six months don't start till he says go?

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@GetKVM_Ash said: Maybe the six months don't start till he says go?

That's the impression I also had.

edited December 2012

@Liam said: What would be the point if he left clients for 2 weeks whilst he way away or if he had scrimped corners just to launch.

I dont want to be disrespectful either, but that will also be the case during the 6 months, nobody can be sure nothing will go wrong, such as an illness or another problem. There must be a contingency plan for this, such a tablet or someone to look over it...
    I wonder how are miTgiB and Ash doing it ?

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited December 2012

@Maounique said: I wonder how are miTgiB and Ash doing it ?

I bet miTgiB must have Robots that do all the work :) but in all seriousness, even with multiple staff members, I don't think it's wise for owners to be disappearing or going on holidays initially as things can get out of hand easily for startups.

• Agreed

• @concerto49 said: 6 months free = someone's paying. It's been at least 1.5 months.

The clock does not start ticking until I said I am ready to start and I am actually buying my own server elsewhere now to test it to make sure the machine does not run idle.

@Maounique said: Yeah, me too, frankly it is a long time since then, I was hoping it will be much faster :)

Thanks for your concern and sorry for the delay, as a matter of fact I do not have a lot of prior experience offering VPS from a providers' stand point and it is a lot differences compare to being just a VPS user. Like what many others have said, I am not planning to run a pump-and-dump operation (although I am probably the most qualified since nobody else could run it for 6 months without costing anything :), just kidding) and I hope by the time that the end users are getting the VPS, it will be stable and fast.

@concerto49 said: I bet miTgiB must have Robots that do all the work :)

I tried to ask him, but obviously he either doesn't have one or obviously doesn't get to share his robot with me :)

@Infinity said: surely if you participated it you would have considered all of these factors.

I have considered all the factor that I could expect, but not the factors that I can't, and to be honest I have enough personal stuff that I need to deal with which I could sworn to god that I have never thought they would even happen when I submitted my entry. To make the matter worse, I am recently involved in a project at work that is internally very high profile but also very risky, and at the same time I have to finish up my graduate school thesis, which are two things that have really exhausted me, that is why I have decided to take a vacation alone even though it is Christmas and I am supposed to be spending time with family and friends.

I do not need any sympathy and I am sure it is not beyond my capability to handle all these together, but I am also pretty sure you guys don't want to be served by some over-worked and tired VPS provider who can't be around when the VPS are having issues :)

• @concerto49 said: I bet miTgiB must have Robots that do all the work :)

@zhuanyi said: I tried to ask him, but obviously he either doesn't have one or obviously doesn't get to share his robot with me :)

I actually had a lot of pride doing this by myself and scoring so high in the provider polls, but I hired someone, Nick, about a month ago who speaks/writes fluent English and Chinese so I could offer better support without the language barrier to my largest block of customers. He's great, and I will mold him into an excellent drone as time/opportunity permits.

• Another Nick? Too many Nick.

• @Taz said: Another Nick? Too many Nick.

Two rusty screwdrivers, a circle of people as eyewitnesses and may the best Nick win.

• Two ain't gonna do.

• I was also wondering about all of this. I'm glad the thread cleared up some questions.

• Could @zhuanyi hypothetically keep the server to himself?

• Think of all the personal VPSes he can make for himself!

• @zhuanyi said: To make the matter worse, I am recently involved in a project at work that is internally very high profile but also very risky, and at the same time I have to finish up my graduate school thesis, which are two things that have really exhausted me, that is why I have decided to take a vacation alone even though it is Christmas and I am supposed to be spending time with family and friends.

Sounds like the perfect candidate to just hand the keys over to..

I don't think this will happen in future contests with these results.

• is there a time limit

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited December 2012

@miTgiB said: Nick, about a month ago who speaks/writes fluent English and Chinese

Randy could also be a candidate, he knows English and Chinese. And have hosting experience too =)

• @jcaleb said: Randy could also be a candidate, he knows English and Chinese. And have hosting experience too =)

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/161430#Comment_161430 - he left.

• ohh. didn't notice it

@jcaleb said: Randy could also be a candidate, he knows English and Chinese. And have hosting experience too =)

Well, Nick could be another nick instead of the Randy nick, no ?

• Well, time hasnt started ticking yet, nobody is burning cash!

• @gubbyte said: Could @zhuanyi hypothetically keep the server to himsel

Well, judging from how many people who are already complaining even though I bought another server out of my own pocket to test, I don't think I will be able to make to my office alive today if I took the server for myself.

And in a more serious response, nope, this is a matter of character and it is not something I am willing to trade for any amount of cash. I have way past the stage life where I have to lie to get goodies.

@bamn said: Sounds like the perfect candidate to just hand the keys over to..

I don't think this will happen in future contests with these results.

@bamn, I am not sure what you are implying here but thanks for the sarcasm, I am sorry I do not have the "entrepreneurship" or time to register some domains during some promotions and then sell them at 600 bucks instead of offering for free for the original writer of the Unixbench program. As such, and like many other providers in LET, I have to have a day job that will provide me with enough cash to get the business continue when it is taking a loss, which could happen, and enough cash to bring bread to the table rather than living with parents and try to steal their pension funds. As for graduate school, I know at least another member on LET who is completing his graduate school at the same time of running a VPS shop himself.

Each and every single member on LET had a chance to compete and I did not win because I bribed some decision-makers or offered some stories about the death of relatives (sorry, that random dude in WHT was just too funny whenever I think about it, Huron Lock is the name?), I won it by putting in a serious entry with a serious plan, and I would like to take it seriously. If you think you could be a better provider with faster turnaround, I am sure there will be another competition like this in future and you are more than welcome to submit your entry as well.

I apologize beforehand for being rude and impolite to everyone that I have been rude and impolite to on this thread, but I will continue to do everything as per my plan, I appreciate everyone's comments on this thread but the service won't start until I am happy with what I see.

edited December 2012

@zhuanyi said: I am sorry I do not have the "entrepreneurship" or time to register some domains during some promotions and then sell them at 600 bucks instead of offering for free for the original writer of the Unixbench program.

+1, all this stuff with domains sucks hard, I am so pissed i decided to ignore them all.
    IMO, not only the seller is guilty, if you know what i mean.

This discussion has been closed.