Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosting Panel (Security Worry-free) Other than cPanel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosting Panel (Security Worry-free) Other than cPanel

Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Hi,

I was looking for a Security Worry-Free Hosting Panel which I would use for Personal Usage, Other than cPanel.

I noted down some e.g. VestaCP, CentOS Web Panel etc. but which is most used now ??

nGinx will be better & I need ionCube which is required run that script.

Which one can I use & which won't make much problem ??

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    Security Worry-Free Hosting Panel

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2015

I think CentOS web panel would be a better choice over the two, but why do you even want to use it? Why not just get cPanel if you are worried about security and don't want to use command line? With CentOS 7 it's easy to setup a proper Nginx web server with all of the other required software; which I assume you need for WHMCS since you require ionCube.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Security should always be a worry

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@PremiumN said:

The Fact is that, Yes, I know it can't be like that but I don't want to be bashed with zPanel also that's why I'm asking which would be the perfect most for now, somehow no hacking problem everyday !

@EVM_Mike said:
    I think CentOS web panel would be a better choice over the two, but why do you even want to use it? Why not just get cPanel if you are worried about security and don't want to use command line? With CentOS 7 it's easy to setup a proper Nginx web server with all of the other required software; which I assume you need for WHMCS since you require ionCube.

I use cPanel for Production but I need to host 1/2 Sites on that, so spending Money for cPanel for nothing is useless I think !

• cPanel's a hack target.......

I'll try VestaCP Tomorrow, it's more like what I need. nGinx & all other Stuffs :D CentOS Web Panel is also good but I have to test all one by one. But, I needed some more panels to test out.

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

You can try webuzo.

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    I'll try VestaCP Tomorrow, it's more like what I need. nGinx & all other Stuffs :D CentOS Web Panel is also good but I have to test all one by one. But, I needed some more panels to test out.

• Webuzo is good and security worry-free, I used it twice before and prefer it over VestaCP.

They're the same people behind Virtualizor.

• Virtualmin is the answer. Very knowledgeable people behind it, supports Nginx and has stood the test of time.

Thanked by 1Rolter
  • We recommend Webuzo if you need 1 account only also free license has basic softaculous installer.

• Kloxo-MR

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@century1stop said:
    cPanel's a hack target.......

Hopefully you're not trying to say VestaCP or the other option is safer in terms of security.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @century1stop said:

Anything connected to the Internet is a hack target.

• @Microlinux said:
    Anything connected to the Internet is a hack target.

Like women, some get hit much more than others - for good reasons.

• @deadbeef said:
    Like women, some get hit much more than others - for good reasons.

Yet, men don't avoid them.

Thanked by 2netomx Pwner
  • I have been thinking about this same problem. I wonder if the question boils down to which free control panels have active people maintaining them and the most involved communities? Even if a control panel has a good reputation for security now, it may fall behind if it does not have vibrant, active ongoing support. That's true for a lot of free software.

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

I feel, you could try DirectAdmin, for a serious cpanel replacement.
    for $299 one time, ( or Free at WSI ) you get a really nice Panel.

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2015

@emg said:
    I have been thinking about this same problem. I wonder if the question boils down to which free control panels have active people maintaining them and the most involved communities? Even if a control panel has a good reputation for security now, it may fall behind if it does not have vibrant, active ongoing support. That's true for a lot of free software.

Webmin/VirtualMin might be an exception. Plz try it, they have a very active community and its a robust product ( though might be too much for most users ).

Thanked by 1emg
  • I prefer to use ISPConfig3. It offers complete solution for web hosting (maybe too complete). :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2015

@century1stop said:

Yeah but they also have a fully staffed, full time dev team that responds quite fast to vulnerabilities. There's value to knowing someone is paid to have your back, and $15/m seems like a pretty low price for it overall.

Other than that...

VestaCP is quite good. Some worry about PHP calling bash scripts, but it can be done if you sanitize data properly and what I like about VestaCP is that a bash nerd like myself can really customize it, and so far it's weathered pretty well.

CentOS Web Panel, the jury is still out on that in my view.

Sentora/zPanel, I will ship you a jar full of my tears if you install it.

DirectAdmin, now that's a solid piece of software. I don't like it, but it's solid.

VirtualMin, quite nice actually. Nothing bad to say about it except that it's ugly.

The truth is that everything has vulnerabilities and everything will have vulnerabilities. The test should not be whether it did, but in how they received reports of it and reacted. Knowledgeable, versatile developers who take criticism well and jump on vulnerabilities fast will find themselves making successful products.

• I would go with DirectAdmin.

• Virtualmin is best in all freely available panels according to my experience till now.

Another panel vestacp is also good but it does have some issue's with DNS TXT records for hosted domains.

So i would suggest you go with virtualmin it works great without any issue and having active development team also.

• @Jar said:
    VirtualMin is ugly

http://theme.winfuture.it/

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Mother of God...

On another note, I just noticed centos web panel has cPanel migration now. That's really boring and tedious to code. Maybe they are serious after all?

Thanked by 2netomx CFarence
  • ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited September 2015

Order to write your own. That's the only way to be secure. Afterwards you should choose hosting-provider wisely and be sure to guarantee security of your website's infrastructure.
    If someone has source code of software, there are always something to worry about.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: I'll try VestaCP Tomorrow, it's more like what I need.

If you want a secure panel, I doubt VestaCP is the right choice. I'm not saying it's insecure, but the way it's set up makes it extremely hard to maintain and prone to bugs and security holes in general.

Jar said: VirtualMin, quite nice actually. Nothing bad to say about it except that it's ugly.

There's a new default theme coming in 2.0: https://github.com/qooob/authentic-theme. You can install it right now if you want to. It's a great theme and there's some serious effort being spent on it.

Thanked by 2jar jvnadr
  • also on Licensecart, you can get Interworx for free (single domain license)

Not used it but it looks pretty solid.

Thanked by 1Licensecart
  • HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Well, since nobody mentioned it yet, perhaps OP it's worth looking at http://ajenti.org/

I didn't get a chance yet to test it out myself, however I've read through their website presentation and documentation and it looks quite good.

• I use VestaCP but Kloxo-MR is solid as far as I have heard for personal use.