Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Softlayer $500 Promo Code
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Softlayer $500 Promo Code

Just found it & thought someone might be interested

Promo Code: 500BUILD

http://www.softlayer.com/info/five-hundred

it says for new orders / first billing cycle only

Comments

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited September 2015

*Offer expires December 31, 2015. Limit one promo code use per customer only. Up to $500 off the first order for the first billing cycle of servers and services in any of SoftLayer’s data centers around the world. Only valid on servers and services that are charged by the month. Cannot be combined with other offers. For more information on this offer, please read the FAQ or contact a sales representative.

edit1:That, uh, isn't your typical $20/month servers.
    https://store.softlayer.com/configure?selections=processorCount:2

edit2: What makes them so expensive?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • zeitgeistzeitgeist Member
    edited September 2015

GM2015 said: edit2: What makes them so expensive?

Softlayer's prices have adjusted quite a bit with IBM. Low-cost isn't their target audience. They do provide custom solutions though. Just check the cost of bandwidth... 500 GB included. If you want 5000 GB, they charge $370 extra. :)

• They must be providing these servers on the Mars or something for that pricing.

zeitgeist said: Softlayer's prices have adjusted quite a bit with IBM. Low-cost isn't their target audience. They do provide custom solutions though. Just check the cost of bandwidth... 500 GB included. If you want 5000 GB, they charge $370 extra. :)

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

GM2015 said: What makes them so expensive?

They are "Super premium" class hosting provider :) . Try them.

• alexnjhalexnjh Member
    edited September 2015

I never understand why softlayer servers are so expensive anyone enlighten me.

• I don't have any projects that would justify even a dedicated server. I'm fine with multiple tiny vms at different providers to test the waters.

But since this is valid(now) until 31 Dec, I'll take the offer from them on that one month.

time4vps said: They are "Super premium" class hosting provider :) . Try them.

• They have servers start from $160, someone can get 3 servers for a one month for free by this offer, then don't renew ;-)

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited September 2015

@masterqqq said:

Money???? Everyone wants money! Some do some real business and can't don't charge a fortune or don't scam people. Others are greedy bastards and charge a fortune or harvest your organs :P.

There is nothing special about Softlayer IBM. Just money milking. The hardware I bet you... you can get that cheaper somewhere else with good network and stuff.

• @GM2015 said:
    I don't have any projects that would justify even a dedicated server. I'm fine with multiple tiny vms at different providers to test the waters.

But since this is valid(now) until 31 Dec, I'll take the offer from them on that one month.

you just read my mind

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

They're so expensive probably because they wish to target only a certain part of the market, which is big businesses that want that "super premium" quality... quality of hardware, bandwidth, support, etc.

Thanked by 1bhavicp
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited September 2015

That's a great idea. I could order a bunch of vms from them for a month. VMs start at $25 a month, that's 20 vms/ips for one month.

coderone said: They have servers start from $160, someone can get 3 servers for a one month for free by this offer, then don't renew ;-)

• I'm confused at the bandwidth specs. It shows Public Bandwidth and Uplink Port Speeds. What's the difference between the two?

• $370 for a month only haha. Is this a Superman Server? it can carry the whole world haha.

• qq7119qq7119 Member
    edited September 2015

This promotion requires a credit card to be supplied when ordering.
    My credit card expired :(

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Its IBM.. the name ;)

• Who successfully used to give me a Thank you all

• Who give me a Thank you all ........................
    I can play a month

• @masterqqq said:

VERY Premium network and premium support. I doubt there's many/any other providers who can provide the same quality network Softlayer can. Also their platform is FULLY automated, that's one of the other reasons, they have an API for literally everything.

• tronyxtronyx Member
    edited September 2015

I speak with their support. If you are going to just "play" with their server it won't go. They won't give you to order if you don't renew it after a month. Also you need to buy a server that costs 496$ anything lower won't apply.

• jonbeardjonbeard Member, Patron Provider

@qq7119 said:
    This promotion requires a credit card to be supplied when ordering.
    My credit card expired :(

Which means they are going to charge your card automatically come next month.

• @jonbeard said:
    Which means they are going to charge your card automatically come next month.

I added my debit card without money, and it worked.

• Do I want to know what y'all are doing with a server for just one month?

Probably not.

Thanked by 2netomx sin
  • wwwcom said: Do I want to know what y'all are doing with a server for just one month?

Probably not.

warm up Tor

Thanked by 1sin
  • If it's a pay as you go contract, they can't force you to renew it next month unless you agreed to some tos or written agreement where it is stated.

Or do you have to state why you want a server from them or what?

tronyx said: I speak with their support. If you are going to just "play" with their server it won't go. They won't give you to order if you don't renew it after a month. Also you need to buy a server that costs 496$ anything lower won't apply.

• Mmh, looks promising but their price for bandwidth, ram, disk is not what I can affort after promotion, so no, I have enough idle servers to deal with :-)

• @qq7119 said:
    Who give me a Thank you all ........................
    I can play a month

wtf?

• High quality hardware? Why do they still use DDR2 667 on their cheapest $150/pm server?

• Man, don't forget to cancel this one . . .

• zevuszevus Member
    edited October 2015

I did a similar offer maybe 6 months ago for their Mexico data center.

This thread is one day short of a month old, but I guess it's relevant because of the new India datacenter they just added (yesterday?). You can use 500IND for that, valid until January 15th. It looks like the bandwidth there costs a whole lot more than it did in Mexico City, though.

I was able to get 5TB on bonded gbit ports & swap some other stuff in on the Mexico City offer, end result was something like $515. I was prepared to pay that +$15, but was never even charged that amount. Cancelled it before the second month. Was pretty cool to be able to get close to 200MB/s from Mexico, though (theoretically I suppose the max would have been 250MB/s?... but I never got past 190 or so).

Anyway, I played around with the India config some and it looks like the most bandwidth you can get for the India promo is 1TB. Shame. Unless I had some specific reason to test India, I'd definitely use the build code on one of their other datacenters .. (i also think they vet them some, I got a phone call before the server was provisioned)

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

This explains why I've seen an influx of Brute Force and Spam Attacks from their network.

Thanked by 1GM2015