Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner - I am impressed!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner - I am impressed!

AmitzAmitz Member
edited September 2015 in Reviews

Dear all,

I have one of those Hetzner Auction servers with (as they said during the order process) "Low support priority". It has done great for many months now. Today, I ran a smartctl and saw that
one of the two drives showed an error:

198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   097   097   000    Old_age   Offline      -  528 

Here is the part that impressed me:
I opened a ticket at 21:59 CET, today on a weekend, attached the smartmontools report and asked for a disk replacement as soon as possible. I did not expect any reaction before Monday morning. But what happened? It took them only 14mins to friendly inform me that the drive has been replaced by a new one (it is indeed brand new) and that the server has been restarted. No discussion, no delay, just plain superb service.

What shall I say? Top-notch support! Could not be happier with their service. Keep in mind that this is an i7-3770, 16 GB, 2x3TB SATA that I only pay EUR 29.00 per month for. Thumbs up to the weekend tech/support crew at Hetzner!

P.S.: Crossposted this on WHT.

Comments

• I've always found Hetzner's service to be first rate. It always surprises me when people say that had issues.

Thanked by 3netomx webcraft tux
  • It's great to hear. I had a same server as you have and never had any problem with their support.

• As someone characterized them some time ago - "brutal German efficiency".

• @rds100 said:
    As someone characterized them some time ago - "brutal German efficiency".

In this case, I cannot complain about their "brutal German efficiency". ;-)
    I never ever expected them to do anything on a weekend. And then, they do it that fast without any discussion à la Kimsufi/OVH. Really nice.

Thanked by 2Lee webcraft
  • Never ever had any issues that have not been dealt with inside an hour.

• Looking at the auctions page, is iNIC of any importance?

• Well, iNIC = INTEL Network card. If you do not necessarily need one, then it is not important.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @Amitz said:
    Well, iNIC = INTEL Network card. If you do not necessarily need one, then it is not important.

I don't need anything special network-wise but I'm curious to know what its advantages are :)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2015

The thread is old, but still gives insight:
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=257801

In the end, it's the old onboard NIC vs. external NIC question.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • i think , probably, maybe intel nics has no problem while installing exsi... Maybe a way of showing exsi compatibility

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • nikhil500nikhil500 Member
    edited September 2015

I think the inbuilt NICs of some of the older Hetzner servers had compatibility problems with a specific version of CentOS. Also older versions of VMware don't work well. See http://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/VMware_ESXi/en

If you are not sure that you need the iNIC, then you probably don't.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • What's the bw included? Please dont tell me it has free incoming bw

• @inthecloudblog said:
    What's the bw included? Please dont tell me it has free incoming bw

Incoming traffic is free

Outgoing traffic is based on Tier's, I think at 29 euros it comes with 20TB free.

If you click on each server on the server bidding page it tells you how much is included if you place your mouse over the word Unlimited under the Features tab.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@inthecloudblog said:
    What's the bw included? Please dont tell me it has free incoming bw

incoming and internal network is free.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2015

Yep. 20-30 TB is standard for the cheaper servers, incoming and internal bandwidth is free.

//Edit: Just saw that AshleyUK and vfuse have both been quicker with their answers...

• they're better than the onboard realteks for the those i7 models

• 6 Month, i have server in there, never have issue :) 2 my dedicated, so far them service

Thanked by 1sucre13
  • Same goes with OVH for me. Many says that getting support to reply is worst than summoning a demon. But I've got less than 2 hours responses for tech tickets. But sadly, all of my co-workers are getting late replies (say 2 days at min)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

sdglhm said: Same goes with OVH for me. Many says that getting support to reply is worst than summoning a demon. But I've got less than 2 hours responses for tech tickets. But sadly, all of my co-workers are getting late replies (say 2 days at min)

Yeah, that is the problem with OVH, inconsistency, it is random, you do not know what to expect, at times even be kicked for funny reasons, such as your nationality, or invented ones, such as attacks that never happened.
    They do improve, though, I think ever since changed the top man it has been an upward curve.
    As for Hezner, I remember in 2006 or so, I had one of those old AMD 64 and MB failed. They replaced it in some 10 minutes, albeit I suspect only moved the disk and changed routing, I cannot imagine someone read the ticket, assigned someone to do the job, the guy went in the DC, found the box, took it out and started to unscrew stuff while someone else brought the MB to replace it. It takes more than 10 minutes, I think.

• Maounique said: . They replaced it in some 10 minutes, albeit I suspect only moved the disk and changed routing, I cannot imagine someone read the ticket, assigned someone to do the job, the guy went in the DC, found the box, took it out and started to unscrew stuff while someone else brought the MB to replace it. It takes more than 10 minutes, I think.

There is always someone in the DC, they literally just need to walk to the server (they obviously know the exact location) and replace the drive. Maybe there aren't even any screws...

You can even call them in the DC and ask https://www.hetzner.de/pt/hosting/kontakt/telefon-support :D I think the calls are redirected to mobile numbers because I heard what I presumed to be the AC in the background..

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

4n0nx said: and replace the drive

Yes, that is what i suspected, only that in my case MB failed. So, probably they just stuck the drive in another spare server.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Thats no big news, sometimes you get even like 8-10 Minutes reponse time with these cheap servers.

• Yes, they provide great service IF you told them what to do (from replace a drive to plug a LARA). Somehow I found that if you told them that your server had a problem like it cannot boot, and asked them to investigate, they could make mistake. Once my server cannot boot and asked them to have a check, they said one disk on the raid went faulty, and then they removed the GOOD one.

• We also use Hetzner for production, and they have been great. Both support and network. I'm transferring large files from Dallas to Hetzner at acceptable speeds, speeds that were impossible with OVH.

• I hope they impress me also. Using online, kimsufi , leaseweb ( vps s in us and .nl) , crissic ( vps) , Atlantic (vps) , ramnode ( vps).

• What I don't like about them is that they punish you if you got over the monthly BW, why not just block the traffic?

• Hetzner is my first choice for dedicated servers. At times, I have had hardware issues, but they were resolved quickly and professionally. Once, I did have to make use of their 14-day no-questions-asked refund when a server keep crashing, but the refund process was painless and the server I ordered to replace it worked flawlessly.

• Let me guess - that faulty and ever crashing server was from their EX series?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • my oldest box with them is an EQ 4 which made it for five years by now. still up and running, not a single hardware issue ;-)

smartctl looks like this:

Model Family:     SAMSUNG SpinPoint F1 DT series
    Device Model:     SAMSUNG HD753LJ
      4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       7
      5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   010    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
      9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   091   091   000    Old_age   Always       -       44412
     13 Read_Soft_Error_Rate    0x000e   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
    183 Runtime_Bad_Block       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

probably hardware shouldn't be a thing to judge about quality of a provider after all. hetzner has been attacked a lot for using desktop grade hardware and such - yet they're up and in the market for long time which makes proof of their concept to me ;-)

• @Amitz said:
    Let me guess - that faulty and ever crashing server was from their EX series?

Yep ... good call. But I didn't get too upset with Hetzner for it. It was from their serverbidding stock, an i7-3770, which I have heard has had issues on certain motherboards (I think Asus). My own previous desktop with an i7-2600 also had issues, again on a Asus motherboard. When I switched to a Hetzner server using a Xeon E3, there was no problem at all. And I believe the i7-4770 (used in Hetzner's current generation of EX servers) should work fine. My current desktop also uses it (on an Asus motherboard) without any issues.

Besides, if a server is going to fail, it's going to fail with me. I push the cpu very hard.

Thanked by 1Amitz