Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS or Dedi?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS or Dedi?

DillybobDillybob Member
edited September 2015 in General

Hey everyone!

Was doing some testing with my app that utilizes the ws module. I loaded up about 5k 'active' players, and node was spitting out about 1mb of bandwidth every 1500 milliseconds (around 4.8kb/s). (The game-loop)

CPU usage was around 20%, and ram fluctuated around 500mb. I'm worried about the CPU usage as it seems high for a VPS. I assume these numbers will be a bit higher as it's not taking into account other player actions, but it's a close estimate I think.

I'm just curious if maybe providers have?had clients that utilize far more resources than this on their vps or dedi nodes?

Comments

• I would go dedi. A cheap one isn't that much more then a good vps.

• Yes go dedi just because of the dedicated resources, what type of container are you using right now?

• Just stay in the plan you are. 20% CPU is nothing to worry about.

• bersybersy Member
    edited September 2015

You can try VPS with "dedicated" CPU core (Vultr, Delimiter, dediserver, ZXPlay, drServer…). Not all of them provide a physical CPU core in my book, but you can utilize available one 100% 24x7 anyway.

Thanked by 2dediserve drserver
  • @WHT said:
    Just stay in the plan you are. 20% CPU is nothing to worry about.

This is true.

• how many cores do you have?

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited September 2015

IgniteServers said: what type of container are you using right now?

Well, I bought a 128mb BuyVM box last week. But, for the test in my op I'm just using my main pc, which is a fx 6300.

century1stop said: how many cores do you have?

6, and for my gameserver I use a couple v8 isolates to spread workload (generate loot), but I might use clustering later. I'm thinking I will need atleast 4 dedicated cores. (Now after I just said that and what you guys have been saying.. dedi sounds more appropriate, I think)

• Steven_FSteven_F Member
    edited September 2015

@Dillybob said:

Is this predicted usage or actual usage?

Edit: you're predicting 5,000 active users. That's a lot. You might be better off starting with a VPS.

• @Dillybob said:

What are the specific specs of your pc?

• Steven_F said: Is this predicted usage or actual usage?

It's actual usage, but it will be more since I cannot really simulate player activity, but I did simulate packets being sent and it was a lot. Probably even more because the server has to process incoming packets from users too..

I used this benchmarking tool as well: https://github.com/observing/thor

IgniteServers said: What are the specific specs of your pc?

8gb ddr3, fx 6300, win764bit, nothing special.

• Try a VPS with a dedicated core like Delimiter ($6.50/month for their dedicated core VPS), Dediserve (there's still a promo active if you use the search here), etc...if it ends up needing more then you can always try a cheap $20 dedicated.

Thanked by 2Dillybob dediserve
  • @Dillybob said:

Ahh, so I misunderstood. How fast are you growing? If you're growing VERY fast, grab a dedicated. If you're stagnating, take a VPS and you'll be fine.

Thanked by 1Dillybob
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Just make sure whoever you pick has a corporate member tag on WHT.

Thanked by 3Steven_F Dylan Rob92
  • @raindog308 said:

Thanks for the laugh.

• @raindog308 said:

Havn't visited WHT in forever, now you've made me start browsing there..

• WHTWHT Member
    edited September 2015

@raindog308 said:

Yeah he will catch Johny :)