Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free European Xen VPS - Back in Stock!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free European Xen VPS - Back in Stock!

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Hello everyone!

VPSBiT.com's free VPS is now back in stock.

Here is some information about our free VPS offer.

Virtualizor: Citrix XenServer
vCPU: 1 vCore
RAM: 512MB
HDD: 10GB SATA
OS: Your choice of Linux Distros including Centos/Ubuntu/Debian and more..
IPv4: 1 Address
Data Transfer: 100GB / 10Mbit Port
Backups: NONE! - Please ensure you make your own backups

PAID UPGRADES AVAILABLE

Instant activation, so you can get up and running in minutes. However be warned, any abuse will result in instant termination without any warning or appeal. Port 25 is also blocked and will not be unblocked for free users.

If anyone is interest, please first read: http://vpsbit.com/free-vps.php.

Public queries in the thread are welcome!

Comments

• Review copy?

Seriously, have you fixed the Debian installation for 512MB RAM? It was the only complaint I have regarding this free service.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Hi @Traffic.

Debian 8 works fine. I think 7 and/or 6 works but I don't remember. I do remember that when we cleared the cache, and the whole OS was re-downloaded, it worked again but I can't remember if it was for V 6, 7 or both.

But 8 definitely works!

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • You have to change the RAM in the US Free VPS from 512GB to 512MB :)

WHT said: You have to change the RAM in the US Free VPS from 512GB to 512MB :)

It's been like that for months. I'm surprised no one mentioned anything! Thank you for pointing it out. It has been corrected. But the free VPS in USA has been postponed as we have not been able to obtain IPv4 addresses at a reasonable price. I think we may offer only IPv6 based USA VPS in the end.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Do you have Debian 7 32 bit as a template? I started installation with Wheezy, but it appears to be installing a 64 bit version.

• @randvegeta said:

IPv6 only is fine for most people, but might need some sort of ipv4 access (not necessarily nat ipv4). Being able to have ipv4 access will solve most of the repo issues as not all repos have ipv6 yet.

• So it's free just for the first month right?

sandro said: So it's free just for the first month right?

No it's free for as long as we can afford to run it!

TheOnlyDK said: IPv6 only is fine for most people, but might need some sort of ipv4 access (not necessarily nat ipv4). Being able to have ipv4 access will solve most of the repo issues as not all repos have ipv6 yet

We can probably setup NAT. Need to see if our provisioning system can handle IPv6 okay! In theory it can, but never been put into practice.

Radi said: Do you have Debian 7 32 bit as a template? I started installation with Wheezy, but it appears to be installing a 64 bit version.

Why would you need 32bit? 64bit should be able to run any 32bit application. I suppose we can add 32bit if really needed, though we haven't tested it.

Usually, I am used to installing 32 bit OS under 4 GB RAM, but guess I will settle. For a free thing, its awesome. :)

• sandrosandro Member
    edited September 2015

I don't understand how I can get 50 coins every month.

http://vpsbit.com/free-vps.php
    Hit the "Get your 50 CRT Sitecoin offer now" every month.

• I think it was only a month free use

qq7119 said: I think it was only a month free use

No it is a recurring free VPS. You can use the VPS 'forever'.

• Applause for your selfless pay

• I vouch for VPSBiT. I have their service for my second month and it's working perfectly. I also used their support and it is good, too. I added Tunnel Broker IPv6 but hope to see native IPv6 soon.

• Last status message ajax Retrieved file /repodata/4b9ac2454536a901fecbc1a5ad080b0efd74680c6e1f4b28fb2c7ff419872418-c7-x86_64-comps.xml.gz

long period of time about how long it correctly

@qq7119,

You are trying to install CentOS 6 on a VPS with only 512MB RAM. It won't finish because the RAM is insufficient. We do actually put notices up on the website that ask you to check the OS you choose will be supported by the hardware spec of the VPS.

CentOS 6 needs minimum 1G.

• CentOS 5 Half an hour yet the installation is complete

Your installation was done after about 5 minutes actually.

• installation OK

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep

@randvegeta said:

Just curious, why would you provide free vps? I mean while you have to pay everything like, colocation, servers, ips, bandwidth etc, what is the meansure by providing them for free?

• AlbaHost said: why would you provide free vps?

He's vegetarian? So he needs to collect more carrots :D

Thanked by 2deadbeef bersy

AlbaHost said: Just curious, why would you provide free vps? I mean while you have to pay everything like, colocation, servers, ips, bandwidth etc, what is the meansure by providing them for free?

Why does anyone do anything for free? You can consider it a marketing gimmick or loss leader.

As for the running costs, the main cost is not colocation, hardware, bandwidth or IPs or anything like that, but the labour required to manage it all.

VPSBiT is a new brand but actually the parent companies are not so small and have been in existence for quite some time. As such the rack space, bandwidth, IPs, hardware etc, are actually already paid for. The free services are built on the surplus resources. The biggest actual cost for this 'project' is manpower. The rest is not of much concern at the moment.

Thanked by 2XiNiX colingpt
  • How nice! I signed up to take advantage of this offer; however, it appears setup isn't instant (at least not for me). My server is marked as "pending" in WHMCS.

We don't use WHMCS. What system are you looking at?

• @randvegeta said:
    We don't use WHMCS. What system are you looking at?

My bad. It looks a lot like WHMCS. After posting that, the server was provisioned. :P

Thanks a lot for this. :)

@Doragon,

The VPS is created automatically by our system in batches excuted every 5 minutes, so it's not INSTANT INSTANT, but is close enough I think with respect to deploying servers.

FYI, you still need to 'provision' the server, in that you need to select the OS to install, and that takes between 5 and 10 minutes too depending on which OS you pick.

Just an update. We are down to the last few free VPS on this node. Next node won't be deployed till tomorrow. So when stock runs out, please try again in 12 - 24 hours.

edited September 2015

SORRY - OUT OF STOCK

• I picked one up to play with just in time then...
    Happy to run (sensible) benchmarks on it if people want for future reference.